“Super Food, Superlative Service”
Review of Craft

Craft
Reserve with OpenTable
Craft is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #32 of 14,308 Restaurants in New York City
Neighborhood: Flatiron District
Cross street: Park Avenue South and Broadway
Transit: 4,5,6,N,R to Union Square and 6,N,R to 23rd Street
Reviewed February 6, 2014

My wife and I are both foodies who have visited a number of celeb chef restaurants. Frankly they're about 50-50. Some great experiences and some "fine, but not worth the hype" meals.

Craft was without a doubt, one of the best dining experiences we've ever had. The cocktails were interesting and innovative without being pretentious. The food was fabulous--great, seasonal ingredients executed with the hallmark of great technique (and there was plenty going on there)… it just tasted "right." The beef short rib (lacquered to the point it was sticky, glossy and melt in your mouth tender); the risotto (having seen Tom pan so many contestants on Top Chef for risotto, we just had to have his… perfect); the gnocchi (never have I had such light gnocchi); and the pot de creme were huge hits.

However, it was the staff that set the meal apart. Every single server, waiter, host, bar tender, wine steward was friendly, attentive, helpful, and articulate. Each and ever one of them really conveyed an attitude of, "Dining at Craft is special and you're our guest. Please come in and let us serve you. Truly serve you." It was remarkable. And… after publishing a review on Open Table, I got a personal email from the staff thanking me, and asking me to please let her know if I was having a hard time getting a table again and she'd personally see that we got it. In NYC? I'm floored. Well, well done.

Reviewed February 5, 2014

Having dined at both Craft Bar & Topping Rose, I expected another nothing less than another fine meal, with top notch food & service. Unfortunately, though the food was as good as expected, the service was not. Multiple servers attended to us multiple times throughout our meal. How many different people need to ask us if we need another cocktail, if they can remove plates of food (that we were still eating), if we are ready for our next course? The answer should be many MANY fewer than attended to us. It was a regular source of interruption & though I didn't think it through carefully as it was happening (I was dining out after all & had better things top of mind), upon reflection it also makes no sense. The restaurant wasn't overly crowded -- though at a place like craft one would not expect to be rushed -- nor was it overly empty -- it didn't appear they were overstaffed due to too few customers. Whatever the reason, it was intensely annoying. And at about $250 for a dinner for two, utterly unacceptable.

1  Thank HuntleyNewYork
Reviewed January 30, 2014

Came in with a group of colleagues for a business dinner. Everything we ordered was amazing...near perfection. The wine list is absolutely impressive...one of the most complete that I have ever seen. Service was a little harsh, sometimes rude and arrogant, but the bottom line is we had a great time. I will suggest the service to be more warming/charming...smile!

Reviewed January 30, 2014

Waited long time to get the reservation. Have to say it was a big disappointment. maybe I was expecting too much. Food was not bad but not excellent, services were ok at the best. Noise level was good. Wines were just ok. Not good enough when you pay that much for a meal. There have to be better restaurants at this price tag. At least at the Per se, you leave with satisfaction. I am not comparing these two restaurants. But Craft was a disappointment.

1  Thank Sarah K
Reviewed January 22, 2014

Very enjoyable atmosphere, drinks, and food. Happening place with a happening crowd, and very good food, drinks, and service . Will definitely return.