“amazing”
Review of Craft

Craft
Reserve with OpenTable
Craft is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #46 of 14,522 Restaurants in New York City
Neighborhood: Flatiron District
Cross street: Park Avenue South and Broadway
Transit: 4,5,6,N,R to Union Square and 6,N,R to 23rd Street
Reviewed August 28, 2013

This was a fantastic dining experience--beautifully decorated restaurant without the overcrowded feeling often experienced in NYC. Every dish we tried (and we tried a little of everything) was amazing in its own right. One of the best meals I've ever had.

Reviewed August 26, 2013

myself, and a group of friends made our annual summer trip from key west to NYC. Each night we take turns pickinga restaurant. CRAFT was my pick, and without a doubt one of the best meals we have ever had. The table of five, the service, were all great. The food phenomenal. And thank you CRAFT for having STOLI ELITE, ensuring I had one of the best martini's ever. Although we always pick something new to try every year, I am sure we will put CRAFT on our list again in 2014.

Regards from Key WEst

Reviewed August 24, 2013

Had supper there and went with big expectations. Came away a bit disappointed. Was the food good? Absolutely. Was the service good? Beyond reproach. Was the venue/location memorable? Sure. But overall, the $320 bill for 3 people just didn't add up.

Our server clearly explained that appetizers and sides are served family-style so we adjusted our orders accordingly. He was also very good at recommending sides to go along with our mains. All his recommendations were on spot. Our appetizers included an octopus dish, wagyu beef carpaccio and a colorful heirloom tomato salad. The octopus was well prepared and very tasty. And no chewiness evident at all. The carpaccio was amazing. The beef was thinly sliced and tasty. It came with slivers of fried onions I believe and the texture and saltiness contributed much to the finished product. The tomato salad was disappointing. It was colorful with 4 different types of tomatoes but by the end of August, you would expect the tomatoes to have flavour. These tasted no better than mid-winter hot house tomatoes.

For our mains, we had the diver scallops and monkfish. Both were very good -- fresh and flavorful and properly cooked. I have an issue with the portion size. Three scallops for north of $30 is steep. And they were just competent -- nothing memorable. The sides were much better. As per our server's recommendation, we had the creamy corn (with no cream used in the prep), spigarello (think collard greens or spinach with rapini bitterness) and a bacon and corn risotto (great smokiness and creaminess -- amazing).

Desserts were varied and tasty.

But in the end, when you add it all up, it was not memorable. Food was very good, service was excellent and the room was very ice. But, it wasn't anything amazing and memorable. And for prices in this level, I expect memorable.

1  Thank BM_Mtl
Reviewed August 21, 2013

I had a birthday dinner with my friends and I really wanted to have dinner in a very nice restaurants and one of the best in New York. So I chosen to go to the Craft. The restaurant is so nice, a good environment and a very good wine selection. It is a very trendy place. The service was so excellent!! Me and my friends were having such a great time. The food was the best, certainly is quite expensive but believe me it really worth it! The waiters sang the happy birthday for me and took me a little birthday cake so it really was one of the happiest birthdays I ever had. I recommend you to make a reservation several days before because it is crowded as a say to you before is one of the best restaurants in New York.

Reviewed August 15, 2013

While visiting NYC on a business trip, I was treated to dinner at Craft. Not having known about Top Chef, etc. I didn't know what to expect from this good looking restaurant. It didn't look very large/wide but I noticed that it looked like there was more seating around the back. I wasn't in the mood to investigate.

My dinner companions and I settled at the bar, me with Black Russian in hand, and waited for the rest of our troupe to arrive for our early dinner. The bar tender was very personable, and chatty when required, and patiently explained what was in the drinks we wanted. Patrons were friendly. Drinks were well mixed.

After everyone arrived, and although we were a large group, we were seated at the front of the restaurant, table facing the front window. Very comfortable, wide table with lots of room for everything.

First off, I'm a fan of meat ravioli and I always have a tough time finding a restaurant that serves a good plate, let alone at all. In this case the the first course of Pork Ravioli & Steen’s Cane Syrup was fantastic. Not a huge amount (expected) but the blend of the seasoned pork filling, al dente pasta and smokey/sweet syrup was amazing.

Four my main course, I ordered and shared the 30 Day Dry-Aged Sirloin Bone Marrow & Bordelaise for two. Great choice! Medium-rare and melt-in-your-mouth tender and plenty enough for two guys.

Service was fantastic, all questions answered, no 'snotty' wait-staff I've seen at a few other NYC restaurants. Staff should never get in the way of an expensive dinner, but be available when needed. Craft staff provided that experience.

Did I mention it was a bit pricey (for non-NY'ers)? It was, but was worth it.

Although I won't comment on what my dinner companions ate (I did sample some of their fare), I will say that overall my meal at Craft was probably one of the tastiest I have had in a long time.