“Great location and friendly staff”
Review of The Nolitan Hotel

The Nolitan Hotel
Ranked #139 of 468 Hotels in New York City
Seattle, Washington
“Great location and friendly staff”
Reviewed June 8, 2014

I had a hard time choosing a hotel in NYC because I was afraid we would pay a lot of money for a place that didn't have enough room to be functional or was in a horrible location. I got a balcony room at Nolitan because I wanted to have a bit more space and a reasonably view in a fun part of town without breaking the bank. I definitely got that. The rooms are small but were laid out so that everything was functionally usable and the separate WC is a huge win. The balcony itself was very tiny although it had a fun view. But the real reason to get it is that those rooms are slightly larger and if we'd had a smaller room it would have been harder to move around by far. The staff at the Nolitan were very helpful and friendly. They handled normal requests and special requests in general but there were a couple of oddities in the service (the paper we asked for wasn't delivered the first couple days, the pillows that we asked for were delivered on first ask, and turn down service only happened some nights). With a bit of additional organization the staff could easily provide an outstanding experience because these were exceptions to their great service and I assume were simply oversights. The location here is fantastic - Nolita is a really fun neighborhood and I'd say it was our favorite for walking around. Our next favorites (east village and west village) were not far at all and overall I felt like we had great access to great restaurants. It will take you an average of 20 - 25 minutes to get up to the major attractions like central park, theaters, etc. But it was worth it to stay in such a fun area. Please note that this is a hotel with a modern look - if you want traditional notions of luxury you won't find them here. I'd be happy to stay at this hotel again if I get a chance to visit.

Room Tip: Note that the AC is very loud. For me if it was just on all the time that was fine but if it turned...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ChaniDoggett
Jennifer V, General Manager at The Nolitan Hotel, responded to this review, June 18, 2014
ChaniDoggett~
Thank you for your detailed review. I am so happy you had a great experience with us and really took advantage of the hotel's location. I do apologize that your paper was not consistently delivered and have addressed that with our Guest Relations Manager. As for the turndown service, we decided to redefine the traditional turndown service experience. While we do welcome you back to your room, on the first night, in the traditional way (chocolates, slippers and the bed linen turned town) we thought a way to really make you feel at home would be to provide complimentary wine and cheese in the evenings. We want you to feel as though this truly is your home away from home and what better way to do that than by inviting you into your living room to relax and unwind . We do however provide the traditional turndown every third night as our way of letting you know we’re thinking about you.

Again, thank you for the great review. We hope to welcome you back in the near future.

Jennifer

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (289)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed June 4, 2014

My wife and I stayed here in the fall, we had been to every great hotel north of 40th and decided to change it up and stay in soho. What a great experience, from the moment we checked in to the wine and cheese social every afternoon. The service was amazing, decent size rooms for ny and a great atmosphere. The area was perfect foe exploring, shopping and Entertainment and it was the first time in NYC that I didn't spend uptown or midtown.

I would highly recommend

Room Tip: Get a corner room on a floor higher then 7
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Edward C
Edward C~

Thank you for the wonderful feedback! From service to location, I am delighted that you had such a wonderful experience. We hope to welcome you and your wife back soon.

Jennifer
Fair Oaks, California
Reviewed June 3, 2014

For my trip to NYC last year, I thought I'd stay in an area of the city that I had not yet ventured into. The somewhat gritty, trendy and rapidly gentrifying Lower East Side definitely qualified as such. Seeing as the Nolitan borders NoLIta/SoHo and the LES, I figured the hotel would make an excellent gateway to this section of the city. And I was right. Like most things in New York, so many things were within walking distance of the hotel. Not to mention that it's a quick walk to either the Bowery Station (J,Z trains) or the Spring Street Station (6 train) to ride the subway to all points up and down Manhattan.

The hotel itself is gorgeous from the outside. It's a fairly new hotel, and the architecture stands out in contrast to its neighbors. The hotel lobby is very simple and modern and lends itself well to the rest of exterior and to the rooms. Now the rooms are definitely cozy. For anyone that is visiting New York for the first time, a room like this would be a shock to your system. But seeing how it's New York, rooms of such small size are more common than not. Even with myself just traveling alone, it was a little of an adjustment for someone with a fairly large suitcase. That being said, the rooms are very functional, and designed well with somewhat of an industrial feel to it. The bed was very comfortable and the overall cleanliness of the room was superb. The coolest part of my room by far was the bathroom. The bathroom is very good size considering the overall size of the room. A completely glass wall separated the shower from the bed, which means you can see into the shower from the bed, and vice versa. I could definitely see how that would be a perk for couples. I made sure I chose a room with a balcony (whenever I can get one for not that much more money in the city, I go for it!), which overlooked Kenmare Street. Kenmare is a pretty busy street since it leads up to Delancey Street and the Williamsburg Bridge. Even considering that though, the room was fairly quiet and getting a sound sleep was not a problem at all.

If you do stay at the hotel, definitely head up to the rooftop to get an amazing view of the financial district and of the Williamsburg bridge. As far as eats, the sky is the limit. After all, you're right next to Little Italy and only a block away from Lombardi's Pizza! If you choose to dine in at Cantine Parisienne, in the front corner of the hotel, you will not be disappointed. Excellent quality at very reasonable prices. And if I ever needed to make a quick run to the store for snacks/toiletries, there's a Duane Reade right next to the Spring St. subway station.

Overall, I felt that this was an excellent stay. For a couple heading to the city for the weekend for a quick getaway or someone on business looking to explore the up and coming neighborhood of NoLIta, I would highly recommend this hotel. I probably wouldn't recommend it for families or for people visiting the city for the first time. There are cheaper and more attraction accessible options.

Room Tip: Get a room on the highest floor you can. The rooms are fairly quiet, but even still, the hotel is pr...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
Saratoga Springs, New York
Reviewed June 3, 2014

Our first stay in this area of Manhattan. A snapshot: great (friendly) customer service; we enjoyed the wine and h'ordeuvres in the lobby from 5 to 7 p.m. (every day except Sunday). Our room was on the 7th floor and we loved the view of the Empire State Bldg., the Chrysler Bldg., etc. The room was the typical NYC size but with the clear shower walls separating the sink area from the bedroom gave the illusion was that the room was larger. The hotel is within walking distance to many shops, restaurants, Chinatown, the Museum at Eldridge Street, the Tenement Museum, the Brooklyn Bridge, etc. Bring ear plugs for the late night car horns. Don't miss the rooftop view! The bed was very comfortable but beware of the platform w/ square corners (we wacked our shins on them). There are many extras for the traveler. I think that the hotel is a great addition to the neighborhood. Overall, we'd be happy to return.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank apples0ranges
Cheltenham, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 31, 2014

If you're looking for something traditional or a corporate style hotel then the Nolitan isn't for you. It's styling may not be to everyone's tastes and will probably date in less than a decade but right now the minimilism, and mix of industrial materials with more traditional has a style which is fashionable and looks the part. On the whole I liked but couldn't help wonder whether the fashion for bare concrete ceilings in the bedroom suited the hotelier's pockets more than it did me.

I had Cityscape Balcony Room (7th floor) and found it quite spacious and very clean. The open plan arrangement makes best use of the space and although having the toilet and bathroom on either side of the entry may bother some it didn't bother me. I imagine many people don't use the balcony, which is only about 3ft wide with a bench, but I enjoyed rested up with a beer after a hard days sightseeing, watching the bustle below.

Having paid extra to be on floors 7-9 the promised view was a little disappointing. I suspect you really need to be on 8 or 9. It was also a shame that a 3/4 of the window was semi-opaque as well - if I wanted privacy I could close the curtain. However, the roof is amazing with near 360 view including Empire State and WTC tower one.

The bed was probably the best I've slept in at a hotel, although Kenmare Street is quite busy and I wouldn't have wanted to be on one of the lower floors. On the seventh, it was just about OK but light sleepers might near ear plugs.

Location is excellent. Little Italy, China Town and Nolita are virtually on your doorstep. Access to the rest of Manhattan is easy with three metro lines just a few blocks away. Bowery Street, one block away provides a link to JFK and parts of downtown though not much else (I never used it). Spring Street and Grand Street provide your main choice of routes to Uptown and Downtown and are both four short blocks away.

Whatever you do. Have the pancakes for breakfast. They are the simply magnificent.

Room Tip: Cityscape rooms on 8th and 9th floor have best views. Go high to avoid street noise. The Nolitan web...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank Steve D
Vero Beach, Florida
Reviewed May 27, 2014

This little boutique hotel is upscale and easily accessible from the subway from Grand Central. Very modern feel, clean and nice. We had a little balcony that you could go out on for fresh air and city view. The name makes it obvious that it is in Nolita, north of Little Italy.
My only negative was that the bed was very stiff and not very comfortable. Could use a pillow top or foam topper to soften it. They had cashmere throws at the end of the bed. The price was not bad, especially considering the timing overlapped NYU's graduation.
Purchased an Evian water by accident as it was kind of a hidden item on their mini bar menu. At $6.75 I would have just had tap water.

Room Tip: We were across from the elevator but didn't hear a thing.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Leighdee30
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 23, 2014

I was quite disappointed with my stay at the Nolitan. There appears to be a strong focus on the design aspect of the hotel but this is not matched by the customer service or consideration to delivering an excellent customer service experience. On the positive side, the rooms are nice and spacious, look very slick and are comfortable. This is a big plus. On the downside, there was a live band in the restaurant on the Sunday night we stayed. The band played music very loud and was going until after midnight. The band also kicked off again in the early hours of the morning. This kept us awake. We were then awake at 5.30am in the morning with loud music being played throughout the hotel. We had to ask staff to turn the music down as most people like to sleep at 5.30am. The internet was patchy and kept kicking us off wifi. We had to ask the staff to reset the system. This was particularly frustrating as my partner and I were using the system to enter information which we had to repeatedly re-enter due to the problems with the internet. When checking out and leaving the hotel, there was no offer of assistance with flagging down a cab. So consequently, we decided not to tip the staff downstairs. As I say, the design of the hotel looks great but the service and attention to detail by the staff left my partner and I unimpressed. A hotel that looks this good should have more focus on delivering a great experience.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Jennifer V, General Manager at The Nolitan Hotel, responded to this review, May 26, 2014
Shannon H., thank you for taking the time to provide candid feedback. After receiving such wonderful reviews and comments about our service, it is very disappointing to hear that your experience was quite the opposite. We take great pride in exceeding guest expectations but recognize that in this instance we have fallen short, and for that I sincerely apologize.
I’d like to address your concerns. With regards to the live entertainment on Sunday evening, this is the first I have heard that music has extended its end time of 10pm but I have addressed this matter with both the restaurant owner and our Guest Services team to ensure that this does not happen again.. As for the spotty internet service, we have recently purchased an additional piece of equipment that allows for a stronger signal. However, please accept my apologies for the nuisance caused by these matters.
I am sorry that we left you with a negative impression of the hotel. I have also reached out to you directly and look forward to the opportunity of discussing your experience in further detail, and hope that you will provide us with another opportunity to restore your confidence in The Nolitan.

Jennifer Villanueva