“the best place in town”

Ranked #148 of 466 Hotels in New York City
Melbourne
“the best place in town”
Reviewed January 31, 2014

The Nolitan Hotel must be one of the hippest places to stay in New York City. My partner and I were looking for something pretty central with enough to keep us occupied indoors if the weather got bad. The Nolitan might be small but it is just a sensational place to stay, and it ticked all the boxes for us.

Our arrival was smoothly handled by Dhillon and the rest of the reception staff, all of whom were young, friendly, professional and helpful without descending into over-casual or over-familiar. A good balance. We managed to arrive at happy hour and chilled glasses of bubbly were pressed into our hands as we checked in.

Our room was pretty small – I’ve only seen smaller in Japan – but beautifully appointed and with little touches like excellent quality toiletries and red slippers and robes and plenty of storage and hanging space and good lighting. We didn't have a kettle in the room (being serious tea drinkers a kettle is essential for us) but one call to reception got us a very stylish kettle (of course) and some mugs. So just ask!

We had a perfect view of the uptown skyline including the Empire State Building decked out in its red and green Christmas colours – ask for a north-facing room on a high floor. We didn’t have a balcony – some rooms do and some don’t. The balconies are tiny in any case, but in warmer weather it might be nice to ask for one.

As mentioned, happy hour starts around 6pm until 8pm and you can chill out in the leather seats at reception quaffing really rather decent red, white and sparkling wine and nibbling on cheese and crackers and nuts. A nice time to relax before heading on out for a busy night in the Village.

Wifi is free and the signal is strong in the rooms and at reception.

As mentioned before, the staff were all great and couldn’t do enough for us. There is a restaurant on site but we didn’t eat there, just had a drink at the bar. You can borrow a PlayStation if you want to stay in, or a skateboard if you want to get around the neighbourhood a little more quickly.

There are countless great places to eat and drink nearby – just walk out the door and into whatever place takes your fancy. They’re all great. But don’t miss the Bowery Diner just a couple of blocks away on Bowery Street. A sensational modern diner – and the bloody Marys and mimosas at breakfast are a great pick-me-up after a heavy night.

Can’t imagine staying anywhere else in New York when we come back again next year. Oh –and don’t miss the rooftop terrace with 360 degree views of the best skyline in the world!

Room Tip: North facing rooms on the higher floors will have a great view of the uptown skyline. Ask for a balc...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Mairead D
Jennifer V, General Manager at The Nolitan Hotel, responded to this review, February 12, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to provide us with feedback. It was such a lovely review and very much appreciated. In your profile, we have noted your preference for a tea kettle and it will certainly be in your room upon your next arrival. We thank you for staying with us and look forward to welcoming you back next year.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (293)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
New York City, New York
Reviewed January 28, 2014

Nolita is a great neighborhood and this classy, stylish boutique hotel is right in the heart of everything. Trendy shops and restaurants, Little Italy, Soho, and subway stops are all within a few minutes walk - which is perfect on a freezing January day! Very helpful and friendly front desk. Don't miss their restaurant - Cantine Parisienne. We had a delicious brunch that was surprisingly inexpensive.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank NYPNYC
Auckland Region, New Zealand
Reviewed January 25, 2014

I thought this hotel was great! Stayed here Christmas/ New Year, and everything about it is great. The location is perfect. The subway is close and there are numerous cafes restaurants and trendy shops nearby. Mulberry St is close and Broadway not too far to walk. Soho and other interesting neighbourhoods in easy walking distance.
The staff are really friendly and helpful. The rooms are very nice, I did not find noise from the street to be disturbing at all, and the beds are very comfortable. The room was also a good size. Would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
Manhattan, Kansas
Reviewed January 24, 2014

Summary: There are a lot of enthusiastic reviews posted here. Just be advised that there are some differences with this property that you might want to know about ahead of time.

This is a good hotel. Not great, not bad. You must know that the rooms are very small, and the HVAC system is loud (fan noise). On the plus side, you can often find a good price if you are flexible, it is a clean hotel, it seems safe, and it is well located.

Review: I was attracted to the Nolitan, oddly, because the Butcher’s Daughter restaurant is located across the street. It is a good find, and I might stay at the Nolitan again.

As to the negative, the first is that the rooms are very, very small. The hallways are exceptionally narrow and dark. Or, I should say, lightly lit. When the fan for the HVAC comes on in your room, it is loud. I actually never did get a good night’s sleep because several times an hour, the blower came on and awakened me. Ear plugs helped a bit.

The Nolitan can be pricey, but if you are flexible, you can find a reasonable price. It is never inexpensive.

Here are the plusses: a comfortable lobby, there are some excellent staff members that work the front desk, WIFI is available at no extra cost, it is located nicely to access fun neighborhoods like Nolita and SoHo, and also to access lots of fun restaurants (try Butcher’s Daughter, Taim, Rubirosa, Hampton Chutney, Baltazar, etc.). I love that it is very clean. I always felt comfortable at the Nolitan.

I wish Trip Advisor would allow fractions on its star rating. If it would, I’d give the Nolitan Hotel 3.5 stars.

Room Tip: Get up as high as you can to avoid the street noise.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
6 Thank fidelrobert
Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback. I was delighted to learn that you had a great experience with the Guest Services team and were able to take advantage of the our great location. I was, however, disappointed that you found the HVAC noise to be disruptive. We recognize that this is a concern in certain rooms and are diligently working on a solution. Currently, we are testing a solution, in few guestrooms, and if it proves successful, we plan to integrate the plan into all affected rooms. Rest assured, this issue is a priority and we will continue to work on this until it is resolved. With respect to the rooms, we do everything we can on our website to accurately depict the rooms through photos and descriptions including square footage details. Most of our rooms are 235 sq. ft. however, our Corner rooms are a bit larger at 265 sq.ft. I invite you to take a look, at the room, on our site; perhaps this would be a more comfortable room for you. I welcome the opportunity to welcome you back. If you wouldn't mind emailing me, I would be happy to share the progress of our HVAC resolution in the hopes that you will consider staying with us again. You may contact me directly at 212.925.2555 or via email at jennifer@nolitanhotel.com. I look forward to the pleasure of hearing from you.
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed January 23, 2014

From the moment we checked in our stay was amazing. The staff was friendly and helpful, the decor was warm yet stylish and the location was perfect - close to the subway and an easy walk to shopping, restaurants etc. I've worked in the hospitality industry for years so it's hard to impress me, and the staff truly did just that.

We were greeted with a bottle of wine and a hand written note from the manager on night one. When the city was hit with a snow storm impacting travel the staff was helpful in providing information on how to get around the city and options for airport transportation.

Beyond the customer service the rooms were well decorated, impeccably clean, and the amenities were unique and befitting of the area of town the hotel is located in.

All I can say is that I'll definitely be back, we had a wonderful stay filled with great memories.

Room Tip: we had a corner neighborhood room and it was a great size for a NY Hotel room. There was very littl...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Lauren R
london
Reviewed January 22, 2014 via mobile

I've stayed here twice, both on business and leisure and it is a terrific hotel with the high standard of service and attention to detail that you would expect from a boutique hotel in Manhattan. It's clean, stylish and the staff are super. One thing I would advise is to try to secure a room on the Elizabeth St side and on a higher floor, Kenmare St is an extremely busy thoroughfare for cars and lorries 24hrs a day. The other thing is, don't bother with the adjoining restaurant, there are loads of better places to eat within a stone's throw of the hotel.

• Stayed January 2014
1 Thank wellfed24
Buenos Aires
Reviewed January 21, 2014

We stayed at The Nolitan for one night. I'm a big fun of design hotels, and this one did not let me down. The hotel design is beautiful and modern and rooms (although quite small) are nicely furnished. Unfortunately we didn't have the chance to spend a lot of time in the hotel, but we got the chance to benefit from the friendly staff the Nolitan has. Location is great if you like being in Nolita/Soho, where small shops and cafes give the area a different (cozy) feeling. I would definitely recommend it!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple