“Exceptional Staff”

Ranked #134 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Greensboro, North Carolina
“Exceptional Staff”
Reviewed December 5, 2011

We stayed at the Nolitan for a long weekend. The standout is the wonderful, accommodating staff. They are very pleasant and responsive. The site is modern and has an interesting interior. Altho the rooms are average to small, they are well arranged. My only comment would be that there is not enough room to put non-hanging clothing. I really could not unpack the suitcase. The location is great because if you are exploring the southern part of Manhattan.

Room Tip: The balconies are very small so I wouldn't bother to pay extra for a room with a balcony.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends
2 Thank 5familymurphy

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (290)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
London
Reviewed December 3, 2011

The Nolitan is a small Boutique hotel that gets the basics right but is let down by one fundamental error.

The rooms are a reasonable size, the room fittings are modern in design and of good quality, the bathroom area in particular is very good. The bed was comfortable with a great mattress and good quality linens. Views on the room decor will vary depending on taste, the exposed concrete ceilings for instance are supposed to be trendy however in my opinion it gives the place an unfinished, slightly cheap feel. Other positives include the free wifi, the exceptionally well stocked minibar, excellent quality robes and towels. The hotel reception area, restaurant and bar are all very nicely fitted out and the service from the staff in all areas was superb.

A very slight bugbear was the lack of conveniently placed power sockets, particularly by the bed/bedside cabinets.

The BIG downside is the noise - it's been mentioned in other reviews and I expect shall continue to be mentioned over and over again. I stayed on one of the higher (7th) floors facing Kenmare street. I could hear people's conversations at street level, there are non stop rumblings from the passing of trucks heading to and from the Wiliamsburg Bridge and even general traffic is loud enough to interrupt peace in the room. It would be just about tolerable if New York drivers didn't have such a love of using their horns - as an example it's 11pm whilst I'm writing this and within the past five minutes I've counted 14 horns, sometimes a quick beep but more often drivers holding down their horn for several seconds. I've also been able to dance along to the sound systems in drivers cars.

Why they have not made more effort to soundproof the outer part of the building I cannot fathom - I suspect either the projects architect was cheap of the hotels developers were being cheap. If they put this right (unlikely) this would be a great place to stay. As it is I'd struggle to choose the Nolitan again over other nearby options when wanting to stay close to Soho / East Village.

Room Tip: Bring ear plugs and stay on the highest floor available, preferably not facing Kenmare Street
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled solo
3 Thank Doug W
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed November 30, 2011

The Nolitan is no doubt very cool. It's stylish decor and location in one of NYC's hottest neighborhoods guarantees that. However, Kenmare is so noisy that I would never stay there again. Starting at 5 am trucks begin deliveries on Kenmare, and all I could hear was the beep beep beep of trucks backing up all morning.

Other than the fact that it couldn't actually be used for sleeping, I thought the room was a typical boutique hotel stylish room. I wasn't a huge fan of the shower that has a clear view into the room and out the window since I have no particular desire to be an exhibitionist, but it was easy enough to cover up with the drapes.

One nice touch was a little packet of discounts to local upscale boutiques. One less fortunate aspect was that it's not easy to come by a taxi out front and the staff just watched me walking aimlessly around with my luggage rather than offering to hail one for me. Otherwise everyone I encountered there was friendly.

Alas, the noise was a deal breaker. Although I love the neighborhood, I won't be back to the Nolitan!

Room Tip: High floor and facing away from Kenmare if possible. Kenmare is unbearably noisy!
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank Lindsey V
Scarsdale, New York
Reviewed November 30, 2011

My wife and I stayed at the hotel on Saturday and Sunday because we wanted to explore the Nolita/Soho area. The hotel is near Chinatown and Little Italy so there was plenty of restaurants and shops to visit. Each of the areas has a different feel but we really enjoyed the "hipster" atmosphere of the hotel and the Nolita area. The hotel staff was very friendly and helpful and the hotel provides bikes and skateboard for the guests to travel through the area and over the bridge path on Williamsburg Bridge. The rooms are European style but with plenty of amenities and the view of the Empire State Building is beautiful at night. We tried the hotel restaurant and can't say enough about the Venison and the Porkchops entrees. Both meats were tender and juicy which is difficult to get in porkchops. We would highly recommend a stay as a great base to explore the area shops and restaurants.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank edhipster
Kandersteg, Switzerland
Reviewed November 30, 2011

the nolitan has been recommended to us by a friend livinig in NEW YORK.
We were actually searching for a cool and trendy place in a nice area of new york.
The Nolitan is the best address!! right in the center of the best shopping area, great shopping at Elisabeth street, round the corner from the restaurant Gitane or some other great spots!
Very friendly staff, extremply helpfull. We were very happy to meet Felix, great man!!!
Thanks for all your help during our stay!
Casandra the concierge at the front desk was as well very helpfull, she organised our party nights, restaurants and gave us great recommodations! Thanks !!!
Our room was just a little bit small, next time we will go for a corner room! Definitely take a room on a high floor, you get great views to the city...the Empire state building, The Chrysler building - incredible! We loved it!!!

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank COKandersteg
Sydney
Reviewed November 29, 2011

Pros
1. Great location - very near Soho shops and Broadway chain shops, 5 mins from Spring St subway. Handy if you're looking to explore FiDi and Soho and Greenwich Village (20-30 mins walk). If you're looking at spending more time in midtown, I would suggest a hotel in that area. This hotel is approx 20 min subway from 59th/5th say.
2. Lovely staff - very helpful
3. Great turndown service - including a yummie choc!
4. Room has everything - yoga mat and umbrella included. Only thing missing is iron but you can ask reception for one.
5. Great room service - delicious eggwhite omelette
Cons - don't really have any except that the shower in my room was see through into the bedroom. There is a curtain but if you're not that close to your room mate, you may not be comfortable. Not sure if it was just my room or all rooms. Would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank paristosydney
Reviewed November 28, 2011

This hotel provides a warm friendly atmosphere from the moment I enter till the moment I left. The service was great.

The hotel maximizes the limited amont of square feet provided in the rooms and regarding the room size, that's to be expected living in New York; but I didn't feel cluttered or cramped, it was a great room design. The beds are extremely comfortable. The thermostat was a bit noisy and kept reseting to a pre-fixed temperature but it didn't bother me although it could for some. Besides, the ceiling fan worked so well, I didn't really need to use it to regulate the room temperature. Lastly, the provided slippers were a nice addition.

The location is easily one of my top reasons why I liked this place. Very close to little Italy, Chinatown, Soho, and to a subway station for further locations.

Overall great stay.