“Good Chinese cuisine” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Xi'an Famous Foods

Xi'an Famous Foods
Ranked #1,418 of 13,488 Restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: Chinese, Fast Food, Asian
Good for: Dining on a budget
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Takeout
Neighborhood: Chinatown
“Good Chinese cuisine”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 29, 2014

Our family enjoyed the authentic Chinese cuisine served with smile . The quality was good particularly the soups awesome . We would like to repeat our experience .

Minneapolis, Minnesota
“Great food cheap”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 26, 2014

If you're near Columbia University and need some inexpensive grub and like spicy authentic Chinese, I highly recommend Xi'an Famous (I read Restaurant). Not sure if this is the original but my god daughter who has travelled all over Asia says it's authentic. It's a hole-in-the-wall take out or eat in and nothing to look at and it's order by number. But the food is remarkable - and a bit garlicky so don't eat it if you're going somewhere where strong breath is not welcome! The noodles are hand pulled so very chewy in a good way. The most unusual dish I had was spinach dumplings - pale green little plump purses of a delicate spinach filling, not particularly spicy or garlicky. My god daughter is a regular and says the entire menu is great. An Andrew Zimmern and Tony Bourdain featured foodie palace that'll haunt your tastebuds and mind!

• 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Park Ridge, New Jersey
“Midtown 45th St. - Very good!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 22, 2014

I work around the corner and end up going here about once a week, sometimes more. But I don't go for lunch - WAY too long of a line. This place is wildly popular especially with young professionals but also with us older professionals and various tourists. There is not much room to eat and what space they have is cramped and not especially comfortable, so it's geared to getting you to just eat and then leave. Even with a standing counter the place packs easily. So, I go in the late afternoon (3 to about 6:30 PM) when there is no crowd. After 6, it steadily gets busy again; but it's never busier than during lunch time, from about 11:30 to 2:30.

It gets packed for good reason - it's excellent! I have really only had the lamb burger and the spicy cumin lamb noodles, but they're addicitng! Lots of cumin gives it a chili-like taste. It's very oily (good chili oil) and quite spicy/hot. I'm wimpy with spice but I like this - it's definitely hot but for those who routinely eat hot-spiced foods this might not be too spicy. Either way, it's delicious! And the star of the show is the noodles. Fresh made, deliciously dough-ey flat ribbons of pasta briefly cooked - I haven't found anything like it anywhere. Similar to Italian pappardelle but the freshness is obvious.

Prices are on the low end of reasonable so it makes for a relatively inexpensive meal. I highly recommend to anyone to eat here if you like spicy Asian (Chinese) food and/or good, fresh noodles. I take out-of-town guests here and they enjoy it very much. Go try it, I don't think you'll be disappointed!

• 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank John_Setrak
Hanover, New Hampshire
“Would go back”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 12, 2014

I had heard about this place from a friend and happened to see one across the street from my hotel. Lots of nice choices, plus you can select just how spicy you want things which was great for me, since I'm not particularly adventurous in that area. I got the zhajiangmian. A little salty, but overall very good. I come from a place with very few Chinese options, so with that said, it felt authentic to me.

Visited May 2014
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great noodles”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 27, 2014

The Chinatown venue is at 67 Bayard St. The noodles are extra good - we had them with pork, chicken and in soup. We also had tofu soup and lamb burger. You can choose how spicy you want the dishes, and we enjoyed all of them. Very cheap. Place is small so you might not get a seat, but worth waiting to try these noodles.

• Visited April 2014