“Western China - authentic, affordable, special”
Review of Xi'an Famous Foods

Xi'an Famous Foods
Ranked #1,021 of 13,684 Restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: Chinese
Dining options: Late Night
Neighborhood: Chinatown
New York City, New York
“Western China - authentic, affordable, special”
Reviewed July 28, 2013

We've been meaning to visit Xi'an Famous Foods for a while and recent spectacular review in Timeout New York was just the push to make it happen. Why I waited so long is beyond me. The place is small and you take-out or eat in at communal tables: order first, sit down and wait for your order # to be called. The western chinese cuisine has lot more flavor and spices. My family loved the cumin lamb noodles, pork "Zha Jiang" noodles, and spicy cucumber salad. The noodles are hand made. An extra treat were the variety of ice teas: jasmine and chrysanthemum were our favorites. Lunch for 3 was under $25. The Chinatown Ice Cream Factory is next to Xi-an for an extra treat after lunch/dinner.

• Visited July 2013

Glasgow
“Cheap for Manhattan”
Reviewed July 19, 2013

A NYC friend took me here when I was visiting the city, and I'm glad he did: the prices were a lot cheaper than anywhere I had seen in Manhattan. The lamb burger was really good, especially for $3, and I also had a huge bowl of stewed pork noodle soup, with what looked like homemade noodles. What was pleasant was the man behind the counter asked me how spicy I would like it.

The only downside was that there wasn't too much space inside to eat, I was jammed up against the chilled drinks fridge. But it's totally worth putting up with for the food.

• Visited July 2013
Detroit the Motor City
“Truly a must visit for authentic Chinese food”
Reviewed July 1, 2013

We visited the location in Chinatown which is a typical small "hole in the wall" restaurant. Food was absolutely amazing and authentic to the Shanxi province where the city of Xi'an is located. We tried the Tiger salad, cumin lamb noodles and burger, pai huanggua (spicy cucumber salad) and the liangpi (cold noodles). Everything was fantastic and just enough spice. Both my wife and I would visit this restaurant daily if we lived in the city.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Lamb burger is amazingly good”
Reviewed June 16, 2013

Spicy and flavorful, a bit spicy but delicious. The noodles are handmade and come in different sauces, cold ones, with cumin lamb, beef, etc. Many options for people who are adventurous with spicy food. Options for vegetarians as well. My favorite is the cumin lamb burger.
Worth a visit. I visit every time I am in NY.

Cheltenham, United Kingdom
“Tasty, good value, no-nonsense noodles”
Reviewed June 7, 2013

We stumbled upon this gem of a noodle bar while taking an evening walk around central New York. The meal I had there was definitely the best I had during our trip. At the front desk you can order food to eat in or take out. You are then given a ticket to collect your food when your number has been called at the food window at the back, by the kitchen (this restaurant is self service). The taste of my lamb noodle soup was just phenomenal and refuelled me after a long day in the city. My mother loved her fried pork noodles and is also raving about it (being Chinese she grew up eating real asian food, so I trust she knows what she is talking about when it comes to asian cuisine). The walls and TV screen are lined with the success of Jason Wang, now owner of 5 Xi'an noodle bars. The hand ripped noodles are just perfect and I believe this can only be a reflection of his hard work, expertise and popularity of the place as the food is good value for money.

Both traditional chopsticks and standard knives, forks and spoons are available so there is no need to worry for those that are less accustomed to using chopsticks when eating asian cuisine. There is a constant in and out flow of customers and the modern music tracks add to the cool style of this no-nonsense noodle bar. The eating area could, however, do with better air conditioning considering the heat of the kitchen is heavily felt via the open food window. Unfortunately there is no restroom, so those needing to use a lavatory must wait until after their meal when choosing to eat in. Neither of these factors change the fact that the food is truly delicious and I would recommend this place to any foodie looking for delicious, not overpriced hand ripped noodles. I'm back home in England now and am already waiting in anticipation of my next meal there!