“Nice” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Fit Hotel

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Fit Hotel
You added Fit Hotel to your Saves list
201 West 87th St, Upper West Side, New York City, NY 10024 (Formerly Jazz on Amsterdam Avenue Hostel) (Upper West Side)   |
Montpellier, France
“Nice”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2014

I had a nice stay in this place even though I could also here that terrible noise at night. i could sleep. I wasn't cold. it was clean. The room were poorly decorated but for the price and giving i was out all the time, I must say it wall all fine and I could recommend this place!
metro, central park and columbia university very close!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled solo

New York City, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2014

ZERO Stars across the board. As a native New Yorker, strongly recommending that you AVOID this nasty place and search for other hostels in our City or in the outer boroughs. First of all, is it Jazz on Amsterdam or is it called FIT Hotel? - and it's not a Hotel - property doesn't share the qualities of a standard hotel. It's a low grade apartment building converting into a hostel. If you want to experience the rudest customer service then by all means take a risk. The cheap rate is NOT worth being exposed to the two GHETTO/street oriented/UNPROFESSIONAL females that work at the front desk. Those two front desk workers do not have a bright future in the hospitality industry nor in any organization that value delivering proper customer service. They might as well hold on to their current jobs. Furthermore there is NO property manager on sight to resolve issues. The Manager is no where to be found. The icing on the cake - ROACHES are found crawling on the walls.

Room Tip: Do yourself a favor, take time with your hostel search, read/take the reviews under serious consider...
Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
3 Thank SocialInfluencer

Travelers are raving about these New York City hotels

1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2014

We only stayed at this hostel for two nights, the first night was good but the second one was terrible and completely ruined my opinion of this hostel. When we arrived we were told that they had over booked and that they did not have any of the two person dorms that we had booked available. We couldn't believe our luck when were upgraded to a modern private room with a double bed and private en-suite. They had undercharged us by around $50 but we didn't say anything. We had a lovely nights sleep and left early the next morning after a free stale bagel in the kitchen to go sightseeing. We didn't return until around 11pm that night. The elevator is extremely small and barely was big enough for our luggage so we decided the stair were a better option. While walking to our room, we passed the luggage cage where they store guests' luggage and saw ours had been thrown into it. We checked our key card in the door and it was not working. A different person was at the desk this night and we asked him what had happened, he informed us that we had only paid for one night and we should've checked out that morning which the girl the night before had not mentioned. I showed him that our booking was for two nights and that they had overcharged for the first night if not. It turns out we had not been upgraded for the private room but they had charged us the cost of that room as they didn't have any of the cheaper ones that we had booked available. We established with him that we had booked two nights and had no where to stay at midnight on the Upper West Side with all our luggage. He told us they again had none of the rooms left that we had booked except one which I think was on the third floor. We had to pay for this room which the man suggested was a discounted rate for our troubles but from my paperwork I knew that this was the original rate. Too tired to argue, we accepted and dragged our luggage (half of which had been shoved into black bin bags) up to the new room. The new room had no key card but a key on a string, the lock did not work properly as there was an existing broken key stuck in it. The room was a disgrace. The tiles were falling apart on the floor and there were holes in the walls. Everything had been painted white, even the small cupboards were painted shut. The plug sockets looked dangerous and half of them didn't work, there were no furnishings, just a chrome bunk bed with a thin mattress, sheet and pillow. There was a green rug covering up the broken tiles but its was awfully stained and the lockers were so bent out of shape that even if you locked your things in them, you could reach through the bottom to get them without opening it. It was so bad that we actually laughed hysterically. The shared bathroom down the hall was outdated and dirty, we didn't use it much. We ended up sleeping on the bottom bunk together with both mattresses and left as soon as the sun came up in the morning. The night desk boy that had shown us to the second room even apologised, he looked embarrassed but there was nothing more he could do. There was no manager in sight to talk to. We were very upset at the way we were treated, we had stayed in lots of hostels on our travels and usually didn't care much as long as they were clean but I would never stay here again. The only good thing about the hostel was the location, the Upper West Side was beautiful with lots of restaurants and shops within walking distance and the subway not too far away.

Room Tip: Get the private rooms or get their early, it seems good rooms are on a first come, first served basi...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Poppy L
Stockholm, Sweden
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2013

The rooms were dirty, the facilyties too.
Staff is unfriendly and the make you from 40 up to 75 dollars a night. The money wasn´t worth the stay in this place at all.
As a special topping I found som strangers hairs on my pillow

Room Tip: Look for another hostel! theres better ones in NYC
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Toronto
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2013

Spend only one night here. The location is fantastic. Easy access to the subway and bus stops. The staff seemed a bit standoff-ish. The people who stay there are friendly, improves the ambiance. Breakfast is pretty sketchy - and the bagels were hard as rock :)

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 stars
Birmingham, Alabama
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

The web page says, "Small lockers for valuables in every room."
My room had none.
You can't say you provide it, and then not do so.

Other than that, it was fine, and clean. I can't confirm that there was hot water, though, which seems to be a frequent complaint.

The "“VACATE notice posted:Do not Enter building-Conditions Perilous to Life” from January 25, 2013 is WAY off-base. The only thing in it that rings true with me after staying there is "Location is convenient."

Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Melaka, Malaysia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2012

I was freak out before I came to this hostel as i read a lot of negative reviews about the hostel. I arrived the hostel at night and have 2 guys helped me with my super duper heavy luggage. They are quite helpful during the 10 nights I stayed there. They only have bagels for breakfast, and you have to pay for the wi-fi(not so happy with this). For me, this hostel is ok. I got what I paid for. After all this is New York, who would spend a lot of time in the room?

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo