WINNER WONDERLAND

Review of Fit Hotel

Fit Hotel
“Worst stay ever!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 3, 2014

We only stayed at this hostel for two nights, the first night was good but the second one was terrible and completely ruined my opinion of this hostel. When we arrived we were told that they had over booked and that they did not have any of the two person dorms that we had booked available. We couldn't believe our luck when were upgraded to a modern private room with a double bed and private en-suite. They had undercharged us by around $50 but we didn't say anything. We had a lovely nights sleep and left early the next morning after a free stale bagel in the kitchen to go sightseeing. We didn't return until around 11pm that night. The elevator is extremely small and barely was big enough for our luggage so we decided the stair were a better option. While walking to our room, we passed the luggage cage where they store guests' luggage and saw ours had been thrown into it. We checked our key card in the door and it was not working. A different person was at the desk this night and we asked him what had happened, he informed us that we had only paid for one night and we should've checked out that morning which the girl the night before had not mentioned. I showed him that our booking was for two nights and that they had overcharged for the first night if not. It turns out we had not been upgraded for the private room but they had charged us the cost of that room as they didn't have any of the cheaper ones that we had booked available. We established with him that we had booked two nights and had no where to stay at midnight on the Upper West Side with all our luggage. He told us they again had none of the rooms left that we had booked except one which I think was on the third floor. We had to pay for this room which the man suggested was a discounted rate for our troubles but from my paperwork I knew that this was the original rate. Too tired to argue, we accepted and dragged our luggage (half of which had been shoved into black bin bags) up to the new room. The new room had no key card but a key on a string, the lock did not work properly as there was an existing broken key stuck in it. The room was a disgrace. The tiles were falling apart on the floor and there were holes in the walls. Everything had been painted white, even the small cupboards were painted shut. The plug sockets looked dangerous and half of them didn't work, there were no furnishings, just a chrome bunk bed with a thin mattress, sheet and pillow. There was a green rug covering up the broken tiles but its was awfully stained and the lockers were so bent out of shape that even if you locked your things in them, you could reach through the bottom to get them without opening it. It was so bad that we actually laughed hysterically. The shared bathroom down the hall was outdated and dirty, we didn't use it much. We ended up sleeping on the bottom bunk together with both mattresses and left as soon as the sun came up in the morning. The night desk boy that had shown us to the second room even apologised, he looked embarrassed but there was nothing more he could do. There was no manager in sight to talk to. We were very upset at the way we were treated, we had stayed in lots of hostels on our travels and usually didn't care much as long as they were clean but I would never stay here again. The only good thing about the hostel was the location, the Upper West Side was beautiful with lots of restaurants and shops within walking distance and the subway not too far away.

Room Tip: Get the private rooms or get their early, it seems good rooms are on a first come, first served basi...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Poppy L

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
  • Polish first
Stockholm, Sweden
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 19, 2013

The rooms were dirty, the facilyties too.
Staff is unfriendly and the make you from 40 up to 75 dollars a night. The money wasn´t worth the stay in this place at all.
As a special topping I found som strangers hairs on my pillow

Room Tip: Look for another hostel! theres better ones in NYC
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends

Travelers are raving about these New York City hotels

Toronto
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 10, 2013

Spend only one night here. The location is fantastic. Easy access to the subway and bus stops. The staff seemed a bit standoff-ish. The people who stay there are friendly, improves the ambiance. Breakfast is pretty sketchy - and the bagels were hard as rock :)

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
Birmingham, Alabama
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 18, 2013

The web page says, "Small lockers for valuables in every room."
My room had none.
You can't say you provide it, and then not do so.

Other than that, it was fine, and clean. I can't confirm that there was hot water, though, which seems to be a frequent complaint.

The "“VACATE notice posted:Do not Enter building-Conditions Perilous to Life” from January 25, 2013 is WAY off-base. The only thing in it that rings true with me after staying there is "Location is convenient."

Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Melaka, Malaysia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 19, 2012

I was freak out before I came to this hostel as i read a lot of negative reviews about the hostel. I arrived the hostel at night and have 2 guys helped me with my super duper heavy luggage. They are quite helpful during the 10 nights I stayed there. They only have bagels for breakfast, and you have to pay for the wi-fi(not so happy with this). For me, this hostel is ok. I got what I paid for. After all this is New York, who would spend a lot of time in the room?

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Bismarck, North Dakota, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 26, 2012

it was perfectly fine, just dont think they should let guys sleep in the same rooms as girls no matter what.. everything was clean, no towels and no clean blankets.. they charge for everything.there isnt privacy but thats to be expected....

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Uk
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 13, 2012

I reserved two nights but wrote v. early in the morning of my arrival to say due to travel problems I was unlikely to make that evening but would still be arriving the next morning. Was expecting them to charge for the missed night but wanted to warn I would still be wanting the second night. Arrived the next morning to be told by the reception that he wasn't on duty the day before and emails weren't checked so I was a "no show" and they had cancelled my entire booking! AND THEN CHARGED ME FOR BOTH NIGHTS! So I was left homeless in New York - and they charged me for the room which they had then rented out to someone else - not just the "no show" evening. They were altogether extremely rude and unhelpful - refused to even help suggest another nearby hostel/hotel - and wanted to charge me for using their internet.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo