Fit Hotel
The New Yorker A Wyndham Hotel(New York City)(Great Value!)
$318
$296
  • Room Service
Room Mate Grace(New York City)(Great Value!)
$178
$170
Room Mate Hotels
  • Pool
The Lucerne Hotel(New York City)(Great Value!)
$322
$219
  • Restaurant
Kimpton Muse Hotel(New York City)(Great Value!)
$267
$247
  • Restaurant
YOTEL New York(New York City)(Great Value!)
$134
$322
$269
Homewood
  • Breakfast included
  • Fitness center
Stewart Hotel(New York City)(Great Value!)
$179
  • Room Service
The Kimberly Hotel(New York City)(Great Value!)
$331
$265
$303
$254
  • Pool
$420
Hotelpower.com
  • Breakfast included
See what travelers are saying:
FilterAll languages
Reviewed June 3, 2012

I stayed there for 5 days on Nov 2011. the overall experience was good.
Pros: The location is very good, just 1 block from the subway, about 10 min by the sybway to time square. few steps from broadway.The area is very safe.
The room was clean, the bed was comfortable,clean linen and sheets with daily room cleaning.
the room has a nice view on 87th street . lockers in rooms.
reasonable price. the bathrooms were good.

Cons:The common area was very small,No wifi in rooms.
the staff is not friendly.
The hostel has no character or daily activities.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed April 15, 2012

This was not good!

To start off they do not manage to put groups in the same room, even after communicating with them several times on email. Both long time in advance and just before our arrival. We were divided into several rooms, and someone was already in my bed!
Also dont trust that you will sleep, the pipes make a lot of noice, due to them being old. Sounds like someone is using a hammer slamming at the walls inside the rooms during night...
Make sure to be early for breakfast, as it runs out of bagels...
Will make sure not to use this place again, and now I feel like I have been nice in my review...

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank MortonNorway
Reviewed April 4, 2012

I was perfectly happy with my stay at the Jazz Hostel on Amsterdam Avenue. The neighbourhood was quiet at night for a city, my bed was comfortable, the room temperature was fine (though I was in NYC at the beginning of spring, so the outdoor temperature wasn't overly hot or cold).

I felt safe walking home from the subway station at night. The subway station was very close to the hostel, and there were restaurants and shops in the neighbourhood. It was easy to get to and from the attractions that I wanted to see and experience.

I stayed in a room with six beds, and there was a small individual locker for each person in the room.

All of the staff that I dealt with were friendly and helpful.

The shared washroom was fine. The shower that I used had excellent water pressure, and the temperature was easy to control. I never had to wait to use the shower (though I did have my showers at night instead of in the morning).

For people with there own laptops, there was free wireless internet. For those without a personal computer, there were three computers in the lounge, and internet time could be bought ($1 for 10 minutes). There was also a printer and a television. The lounge closed at 11 p.m., which some might think is early, but this was never a problem for me personally.

There was breakfast in the morning, but the selection wasn't the best. There were bagels and buns with margarine and jam to eat, and coffee to drink. I went early each day, and there was always food. Fridges were available for storing food, but I didn't use them at all.

Luggage storage was available each day if one wasn't comfortable leaving luggage unattended in the room. The storage room wasn't really secure - I was accompanied each time by someone from the front desk, and that person watched me take my bag, but they had no way of knowing if the bag that I was taking was actually mine. I wasn't overly worried that someone would take my bag instead of his or her own, but I guess it would have been possible. And on the day that I checked out, I was able to leave my luggage for the rest of the day for $4.

I liked the price best - I thought it was very reasonable. The lack of choice during breakfast was what I liked least, but it wasn't that big of a deal. I went to a grocery store nearby to get some fruit and yogurt to have after the bagel. I would certainly stay at Jazz on Amsterdam Ave. again.

(I should note that this was my first stay at a hostel ever, so can't compare this hostel to others.)

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed April 2, 2012

I stayed here for three nights and as I'm on a budget and HI was full, I had very little choice but to book here. I was a bit worried what with the reviews, but I got a room on the 4th floor (sharing with 3 others) and it's not terrible - it certainly is tolerable. There's lockers in the room if you bring your own lock, a space heater in case you get cold. The elevators are old and slow, but there's a certain charm in it if you want to see it that way.

The bathroom and tub leaves a lot left to desire, but if you have bathroom slippers you should be pretty good. The people here are pretty nice and it's a short walk to the subway. You get bagels and jam for free, as well as coffee and tea. Considering the fact that living in NYC is really expensive, you can't go wrong at this price.

In short, don't come here expecting the Ritz, but if you expect the worst, you may be pleasantly surprised.

Room Tip: You might have better luck asking for a four-person room.
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed February 25, 2012

I've originally booked the Jazz at the Park Hostel, but due to its temporary closing, I was remanaged to Jazz on Amsterdam, which was more expensive and didn't include breakfast. At least they gave me a room, I thought, since other friends who had a room booked at Jazz at the Park were hostel-less.
When I checked-in, the girl (who was not polite at all) said that I would have to change rooms for my last two days, since I have been remanaged, but I would stay the first 7 nights at a double room (even though my original booking was for a 6 bed dorm), shared with a very friendly brazilian guy. It was more expensive than my original booking, but I agreed, even though they didn't even consider giving me any discount.
The room was pretty clean (but the elevator/hallways were disgusting), but there was a pipe SO NOISY in the tiny bedroom I could barely sleep. When I complained, the staff said it was from the building, and there was nothing to be done. The funny thing was that the noise was only during the night.
After seven poorly slept nights, I checked-out from this room, left all my stuff in the hostel locker and went out to the city. When I came back, at 2am, desperate for a warm shower and my bed, I discover that I have nowhere to sleep that night. Somehow, they managed to skip a night at my booking. Imagine my situation: a foreign girl, alone in Manhattan, at 2am with nowhere to spend the night.
I asked the boy at the front desk to find me somewhere else to sleep, and he could only get me a room at a bed & breakfast almost in Harlem, which was more than double the price. When I asked them to cancel my booking for the next night, the guy said I would have to pay the tax for that, which I ended up not paying and convincing it was insane for them to charge me.
I would never stay at this hostel again (or any other Jazz hostel). The staff was not as gentil and polited as I would have expected, from my other experiences at hostels, the bedroom was REALLY small and noisy, the location was ok (not the best you can get), the hallways were dirty and there was no common area (just the check-in area, with some tables and chairs), despite the whole "I don't have anywhere to go and it's 2am" drama. Just don't stay here.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled solo