“Not good”
Review of Fit Hotel

Fit Hotel
Reviewed February 21, 2012

Well, I dont know where to start..

First I got a typical hostel room. You know its not the best, but you get what you pay for. The problem was that it was 30 degrees (celsius) outside and it was in the last days of september. The room had no aircon and a window that didnt close. It was SO hot inside that room! My friends were staying down the hall in a different room. Their room was so much nicer. They had aircon, a proper window, and it looked nicer all in all. So I went down to the reseption and asked if I could get a room with aircon, they got really mad, but I still got one. This room was better.

But the biggest problems of them all : the bathrooms!
My new room was in the first floor. It was inly one bathroom there. This bathroom was new and it looked good, but the shower was brooken...
On the other floors it was only three bathrooms, and many many people stay there. So sometimes you had troble finding a bathroom. AND some of the bathrooms looked discusting! They were old.. Some didnt have a working shower, some no winow, some no mirror and some no working toilet! So good luck finding a decent bathroom.

And in some of the floor there were people living there, like permanently I think. They had doormats, one had a dog. One room had a man sitting with the door open the entire time, sitting in a chair and wathcing tv! It was just too weird!

The elevator was old, small and slow...

The good thing about this place thoug is the location! I liked that.
And this is one of the cheeap places to stay. But compared to other places its not that cheap.

I wouldnt recommend anyone to stay here until they fix it up a bit!

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with friends

Reviewed January 6, 2012

For those on a budget finding anywhere to stay in NYC, especially anywhere in Manhattan can be very very tough so we had to settle for staying here at the end of our travelling trip rather than choose it on it's qualities but to be honest we weren't let down; and then again at the same time we weren't overly impressed but who wants to spend time in their room in New York City anyway, we must have spent less than an hour a day in the room when not sleeping. We stayed in a 6 bed dorm which was a good size room, the beds were not the comfiest but with all the walking around the city you are out like a light anyway. The bathroom wasn't too bad, not spotless but in the same breath not so dirty you wouldn't use it. We stayed in August so it was HOT. Luckily they have air-con so it's not a problem as long as the other people in the room don't turn it off in the middle of the night!

The location is good. It's not a 5 minute walk to Times Square or The Empire State building but you're not paying hundreds of dollars a night! The subway station is about a 2 minute walk away which is perfect for getting around. Quite a few shops and food places in walking distance. A great pizza place just round the corner.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank lee1888
Reviewed January 2, 2012

This place is not cheap by rest of the world standards, but 'cheap for New York'.

And it was fine, I stayed in 2 bed female dorm (bunk beds) and it was a decent size. The room and sheets were clean, although the blanket was thin..if you're coming in winter you might need to wear layers. Mattresses were comfy enough.
The pipes were noisy 6am in the morning when the heating came on, and there was a bit of street noise (I was on the second floor)
The bathroom was clean and the shower was huge and decent pressure, the only drawback was sharing with so many people (3 showers between a whole floor) but this is a hostel, and you get what you pay for.

However the location is amazing. You really feel like you are in the New York from the movies.

Staff on the desk are helpful too!

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed December 22, 2011

I haven´t even stayed at this place, because they did not give me the opprtunity to. I made a reservation through hostels.com, paid my deposit, and decided to double check with the hostel itself. They told me there was no room the night that I had made my reservation for, but would I like it for the following night? How helpful is that? Not at all, when I have one night in NYC. The hostel immediately shrugged all responsibility, told me if I wanted my deposit back I would have to go through hostels.com, and that was that. No advice, help, nothing. My one night in NYC and I had no place to stay. I questioned why they were associated with a website that makes reservations for them that they do not validate themselves as a hostel and they ignored that. I have yet to get my deposit back as neither the website not the hostel will take responsibility. Pathetic. Why choose this place when their are millions in NYC? I recommend The Hostelling International, they took me in at the last minute, and had better rates that this place anyway.

Room Tip: No tip, like I said,, I would not recommend staying here.
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank guatzup
Reviewed December 7, 2011

I stayed in this hostel because it was the cheapest and the one I generally would stay in has been closed down. It is a good walk from the theatre district if theatre is your thing...theatre is my thing. For me, NYC is all about the walk, so I don't mind and rather enjoy the 30 block walk, no joke. There are many things to see on the way there so your not in the middle of nothing, lots of restaurants, deli's, stores, etc. As for the hostel itself, it was clean, the bathrooms were extremely clean, the front desk guy was nice and I think he works 24 hours a day cuz he was there when I checked and when I checked out. There is a community area with a giant TV and alot of other community rooms I didn't check out cuz I was there for only a night. The travelers were kool and friendly. What else? If there is a down side to this place, I can't think of one because it is so cheap and clean I think it is really great. Oh no.... wait a minute...the only downside is the mattress, it was not uncomfortable really but it was weird and was higher at the head than the foot so I slept on a slight decline, but not like I was standing up straight against a mattress or anything and I slept fine, woke up fine, and hey...if I had acid reflux it would've been the perfect mattress.

Room Tip: NY state charges a high tax percentage and hotel fee, so make sure you understand the total cost of...
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank reachteresa
Reviewed November 7, 2011

Good hostel, clean, small accessible kitchen, wifi in kitchen & basement with large tv and spacious lounge area.
Small beds and noisy after dark- street noise. location is great, subway stations less than a block away.
Would recommend however overpriced

• Stayed: November 2011
Reviewed October 30, 2011

I actually didn`t stay at this hostel. As I wasn`t planning to spend the night in NYC, I booked the hostel in the last minute for the wrong night! I only found out that, when I was there at the hostell lobby talking to the nicest and more efficient front desk ever: PHILIP! after telling me the hostel was fully booked fot that night, he spent the next hour trying to find a solution (even though it was MY fault) for my problem while doing his work! in the end, he got me a room in another jazz hostel and even gave me the directions to get to it! BIG THANK YOU PHILIP!!! ... other than that, I had a really good impression of this hostel! the location is FANTASTIC, security seems good and kitchen good as well. I wish I had stayed there, but, next time for sure! :)

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled solo