See what travelers are saying:
Reviewed October 25, 2011

I read some terrible things about this hostel on this website so was a bit worried when I showed up to Jazz with my bags. BUT it was completely fine. I guess it depends on your priorities - it's not very clean there. If you look up at the ceiling when you're having a shower you'll spot a huge gross mole patch growing very large. Also there was 2 bathrooms for an entire floor of rooms of people so in peak hour it's impossible to get a shower. They have an elevator but it's the slowest elevator I've ever waited for. It also looks like it's going to break down any second.

But it's in a great location - Upper West Side is the best. It's less than 5 minutes away from the subway, 10 minutes away from Central Park. It's also the cheapest place I could find. It doesn't have those little useful things - like a bed light or clothes hooks. But they provide linen and towels and free wifi that for the most part, works! And the shower has hot water.

I didn't have any issues with my reservation - I was even able to add a couple extra days onto my booking at the last minute and they were very accommodating.

Room Tip: Bottom floor means you don't need to use the elevator - but it means you're closer to the front door and the noise. Also you need to compete with more people for the bathroom because the kitchen is right there.
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 21, 2011

Upper West side is so fantastic, central park on one side, riverside on the other..it's the greatest.
Jazz is right near a subway station and walking distance to Cathedral of St John, and that Seinfeld diner and the best deli's.

Jazz is odd, it was being renovated, slowly, and some floors are in the original 1920's fit out and some are brand spanking new. so hope you get a pink floor!

one especially odd factor was the new Yorkers who lived on the upper floors and had access to everything in the hostel including lounge, kitchen and bathrooms.
killed the 'backpacker' vibe for a few people.

• Stayed: August 2011
Reviewed September 14, 2011

No matter how much money you have in your pocket, don't stay in this awful place. This is probably one of the worst places on earth. As cheap as it can be it really doesn't worth the money. Every picture you see on their website is a lie. Even if you make the reservation in advance you will never get what you have booked for. And if you complain they will treat like crap as if you had done something wrong. I have no words to describe! I've never been so disrespected in my life. The staff is a bunch of morons. The place is a really depressing dump, it looks like a homeless shelter. In fact it is a homeless shelter 'cause many families live in those filthy and dusty rooms with no ventilation, full of cockroaches and as big as a closet the same rooms that we pay to stay, sharing all the same bathrooms. Really, You'd better stay home than come to New York to have such a depressing and revolting experience.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed September 3, 2011

I had stayed her previously when it was PINK. Following a change of ownership it has gone down hill at a rapid pace of knots. The room was fine, clean but not lockers however the showers were minging. I do expect to be flexible around the use of the showers so not a problem it they are in use. Unable to use wifi in the rooms therefore had to go the the dungeon basement to catch wifi. Basement OK of you dont mind smokers. The location is A* but now I know the area will stay in Brooklyn as more value for money and Manhattan easy to access.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 16, 2011

This is about the cheapest place you'll find in NYC. So my expectations weren't very high. And it was indeed pretty bad. And I am ex-military, so I'm used to staying in tents etc. I'd actually prefer my tent over this hostel. It was clean (well, they cleaned it.. Wasn't very clean though), people were friendly. Not very helpful but still. That was quite allright. But I defenitely wouldn't go back there. There was a bed in my room and that was it. It was all very old, there were plenty of holes in the flooring. Bathtub was all rusted.

If I'd go back, I'd defenitely pay a little more and stay in a decent hotel!

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled solo