“Very cheap, Very bad.” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Fit Hotel

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Fit Hotel
Antwerp, Belgium
“Very cheap, Very bad.”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 16, 2011

This is about the cheapest place you'll find in NYC. So my expectations weren't very high. And it was indeed pretty bad. And I am ex-military, so I'm used to staying in tents etc. I'd actually prefer my tent over this hostel. It was clean (well, they cleaned it.. Wasn't very clean though), people were friendly. Not very helpful but still. That was quite allright. But I defenitely wouldn't go back there. There was a bed in my room and that was it. It was all very old, there were plenty of holes in the flooring. Bathtub was all rusted.

If I'd go back, I'd defenitely pay a little more and stay in a decent hotel!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled solo
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
  • Polish first
New York City, New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 12, 2011

Just thought I'd add my opinion to the other reviews on the site...

Having read the previous entries I was really worried about staying here and was looking for other options. However, in my opinion the hostel is perfectly adequate - it's not great, but I wouldn't go out of my way to avoid it either.

My room / bed / bathroom were all clean and satisfactory. The staff weren't particularly talkative, but I don't have a problem with that and they sorted my booking out quickly. There were sufficient lockers in the room for valuables, although admittedly not for an entire rucksack. Security seems fine - swipe card access to front door and dorms. Yes, other people live permanently in the building, but I don't really see the problem as the dorms are all locked individually anyway.

So yeah - there are almost certainly nicer / cheaper options, but as an overnight base in a good location it's fine (based on my experience of course!).

• Stayed August 2011, traveled solo
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 31, 2011

We got f'd about with rooms on the first night. Average service. Cockroach in the bathroom. Beds are lumpy. Wifi sucks. No room in fridge and there's no freezer. No pool table (which the site said there was), the "common room" is a dungeon, won't have towels provided unless you ask, the cafe is a weak sink and a toaster. "lockers" don't have any form of locking, room cleaners left our door open all day after "cleaning" while we were out. and they sprayed rat poison in the corners of the room - WHILE WE WERE IN THERE. Bathroom has no ventilation, and while you're on the John, your knees hit the opposing wall. NOT close to anything worth seeing, overpriced for value, false descriptions on the site and DON'T BELIEVE THE PRICE THE GIVE YOU.

• Stayed July 2011
      Location
      Rooms

Travelers are raving about these New York City hotels

New York City, New York
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 28, 2011

The hostel has really good location nearby subway with some good features of lounge area, internet, clean rooms, newer beds and bathrooms. The disappointments are: 1) clueless, unhelpful & rude management/staff that has constant turnover and doesn't care about your experience; 2) total lack of security in a building and for your possessions--laptops are stolen-- loads of permanent and sketchy tenants coming in & out of front door and sitting on front steps --hostel shares building with "un-evictable rent controlled" tenants-many who look like vagrants, also a lot of homeless people and sketchy people walking by front of building late at night--sometimes one even sees prostitutes in front of building going in/out of cars servicing clients--seriously--I saw an act right out the front front door of hostel; 3) overflowing trash outside building that stinks and attracts feeding rats; 4) in shared rooms, people turn lights on at night so it wakes you up a lot. They need to have a "lights out" practice or sign in rooms for guests that aren't seasoned hostel travelers and don't know to keep the lights out and be quiet when entering rooms.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Toronto, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 12, 2011

Pretty bad hostel. Most of the other reviews are accurate. Even though it is NY, it is still overpriced. My room was clean, but thats about it. Washrooms always dirty and not enough to accomodate all the guests. the power was out in the washrooms for 2 days and one was out of service for a day or 2, making it impossible to get ready in the morning.

The kitchen and common area were too small for all the guests to use. I didn't use the kitchen once because it was always a long wait to use the cheap electric stove or the toaster.

The staff werent very helpfull or friendly. There was a black guy from Houston that was allowed to get drunk every day and try to intimedate guests, and sleep in the common room almost every night for a week. All the guests disliked him and complained but nothing was done.

I could go on...

But, the good side was I met a bunch of really great people and had fun despite everything. It was the only hostel with any space available in NYC when I was booking and many people staying there had the same problem finding places. I wouldn't recommend this place, but I also am glad I went and saw NY, If you do book, just prepare for an overpriced sub-par hostel. If you can handle that, you will have a great time in NYC.

PEACE

Stayed July 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank 05junebug05
Ancenis, France
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 6, 2011

One month before my stay, I booked 7 nights at Jazz on Amsterdam Avenue Hostel. I did it through Travellerspoint and paid my 10% deposit + booking fees. Travellerspoint confirmed. Then, I have sent an e-mail directly to the hostel to get the confirmation from them also. I received even my confirmation number from the hostel and everything (I just could not consult it on the hostel website). I sent another e-mail 2 days before for last minute details (linen, towels, arrival time) without any answer before I take off from France.
When I arrived - 24 hours after having left my house - it was 11.00 pm (5.00 pm for my body), exhausted, having crossed all New York by subway from JFK to the Upper East Side, the guy told me he had no bed for me, he had sent me an e-mail during the day to inform me (I was in the plane!!!) about it. He had found for me a bed for one night in another "Jazz" Hostel. He gave me the address and got back to the subway to Midtown, "184 Chelsea Highline" but the address was not properly written : 184 42nd Street 11th Avenue instead of 184 11th Avenue 42nd Street... 184 on the 42nd must be around the 3rd or 4th Avenue...I finally found the "hostel", nobody was a the reception desk to check me in but customers who desperately did anything to help me finding a person from the staff. Nobody answered the phone calls. After an another hour searching, I found him watching on TV at the last level of the building. He allocated me one bed. For the numerous dorms, there were only 2 bathrooms, sooooo dirty, the water was not flowing, no water pressure and water only on the fix part of the bath on the bottom (very convenient to wash hair!). I am going to leave this review on "Chelsea Highline Hostel". Fortunately, the guy, the morning after, helped me finding the perfect place for the 6 following nights : 1291 Swiss Hostel.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled solo
Melbourne
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 30, 2011

This hostel sounded as if it would be great but nothing could be further from the truth.
The door to my room didn't lock, there were NO lockers in the rooms...any of them, and the door to the basement was open most of the day so anyone from the street could of come into my room and taken my stuff.
The kitchen was crap and didn't have an oven. Only a plug in stove top which took ages to heat up (keep in mind this is a big hostel so around dinner time you can forget using it). There was hardly enough plates, cups and glasses and they were always dirty.
The bathrooms....lets just say you could find better bathrooms in a budget Indian hostel...no joke.
To top it off the whole 6 nights I stayed there only one member of staff could speak english well enough to be of any use.
This hostel advertises free activities...this is a lie as there were none.
I tried to do washing on my last day and they had no change for the machines, no soap packets for sale, so I had to go and buy a $6 bottle of soap from the local store and then it was $2 to wash and dry clothes. $1 more than any other hostel I have been to.
This hostel may be cheap by NYC prices but honestly when in this beautiful city you want the piece of mind knowing that everything is safe and you have a clean, friendly and fun place to stay. Therefore DON NOT STAY HERE AND IF YOU BOOKED THIS PLACE AND HAVE NOW READ THIS CANCEL YOUR BOOKING AND GO SOMEWHERE ELSE!!!

Room Tip: None of them have lockers so don't stay here!