“Great fun, good food, friendly staff!”
Review of The Mean Fiddler

The Mean Fiddler
Reserve with OpenTable
The Mean Fiddler is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #77 of 16,031 Restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Midtown
Description: Irish Bar and restaurant. Irish/American comfort food with a twist. Vegetarian, Vegan and gluten free options available. Live music venue Saturday through Wednesday from 8.30 PM. DJ seven nights a week. Private party room available for private events. Happy Hour Monday-Friday 12-8 pm. All day $14 lunch and beer special available Monday-Friday .
Reviewed May 27, 2018

I first found the Mean Fiddler back in 2009 while working an internship in the City. It's a great location just off the beaten path from Times Square with good food, good drinks and friendly staff.

We did arrive after our Saturday Matinee showing of Wicked which also happened to be graduation weekend, so we did not have a reservation for the 7 of us. High-top bar tables are first come, first served unless a reserved sign is on them so we put our names on the list (they said it would clear out as evening show time approached) but we were able to snag a few tables together after about a 5 minute wait.

Our waitress, Megan, was from Ireland and was an absolute pleasure to have as part of our dining experience! She was polite, friendly, and interacted with us quite a bit - sharing/swapping stories while also taking great care of us. We were celebrating my parent's 34th wedding anniversary as well and Megan treated our table to Cinnamon Toast Crunch Shots and even took photos/boomerang of all of us taking the shot together! Above and beyond her job description!

The location has live music most nights in the main bar, and a separate space downstairs for Salsa dancing some nights, karaoke other nights, and some TV's in the bar space to watch the games.

A fun experience for sure! I was bummed I forgot to take a picture of my mac & cheese before inhaling it. It was so good!! Other's had the nachos, fish & chips, and sandwiches - not a complaint about them and all the food came out relatively together/at the same time for a group of 7!

Reviewed May 24, 2018

Stopped in here because it was across the street from the theatre where I was seeing a play. Since there was a 7 pm curtain, I only had about an hour to eat and after mentioning it to the man who seated me, the staff made sure that I made the deadline. The waitress, Michelle, came immediately to my table to take my order and checked back with me a couple of times. She was very pleasant and wished me a good time at the play. I had the chicken potpie which came with a choice of pastry crust or a mashed potato top. I selected the mashed potato top which were nicely browned on top and nice and soft under that. It had lots of decent-sized chicken pieces and carrots in a delicious savory cream sauce. I saw they had Bread and Butter pudding on the menu. My grandmother used to make a wonderful one and this was amazingly close to hers with cinnamon, raisins and sultanas (golden raisins) in a custard sauce with whipped cream on top. The pudding itself was the perfect texture. I couldn't finish it because I had eaten the potpie, and I was very sorry to leave some on the plate. Bear in mind that this is a pub with several TV screens going, but the noise level was not bad. With such great service and good food,as well as decent prices, I'll definitely be coming back. Next time, I'll finish my pudding.

2  Thank Rose_S778
Reviewed May 23, 2018 via mobile

We came here having read the good reviews, have to say it was average. Food ok, we got chicken pot pies, steak quesadilla and fish and chips. More expensive then other similar places, very dark inside and band was playing right near our table. Better for a drink.

Reviewed May 21, 2018 via mobile

Not many places in this very busy touristy district of NYC pack a punch like this Irish gem located in the cusp of Hells Kitchen. The ambience and party vibe remind me of vintage NYC. A time where people went out to have a few drinks, dance, and actually have fun! The Mean Fiddler offers some of the best entertainment in NYC. Resident DJ Moody really sets the tone with his ability to get the crowd going. The staff are extremely efficient, friendly and helpful. The best part about The Mean Fiddler is, it's cost effective! No cover, reasonably priced beer and food. It's fantastic. If you haven't been, you're missing out!

Reviewed May 17, 2018

We chose this restaurant because it was right next to the Brooks Atkinson Theater where we had a 7 PM play. We made reservations on open table for 5:30 PM and it was perfect timing. We ordered the Margherita flatbread and the chicken nachos- and they were both so tasty! Especially the chicken nachos. Craig was our waiter and he was awesome- very friendly and personable! Prices were reasonable - we would definitely go back.

Date of visit: May 2018

Been to The Mean Fiddler? Share your experiences!