“Overall very good”
Review of Free Tours by Foot

Free Tours by Foot
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: <1 hour
Owner description: Free Tours by Foot is pleased to present name-your-own-price New York walking tours. We cover all of Manhattan, parts of Brooklyn, Queens and the Bronx. We also offer name-your-own-price food, bike and bus tours as well as ghost tours as well as free self-guide tours and audio tours. No upfront costs. You decide what a tour was worth or what you could afford once a tour is over. It's the best money back guarantee in the business.
London, United Kingdom
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Overall very good”
Reviewed January 13, 2014

During our recent visit we booked three tours for various times during the week. The first two worked out well with prior communication by email from the guide which was excellent and the quality of both these tours was good, especially as you pay what you think it is worth. However, the third which was supposed to be the Lower East Side Food Tour did not happen at all so we spent time in a busy schedule to go out of our way on a very cold day to get to the meeting point only to hang around for over half an hour before one of the other 20 or so would be walkers managed to contact the company to discover that it was cancelled. This was rather disappointing so if possible, it would be best to check that it is still happening before setting off.

Visited December 2013
1 Thank Robertgibson747

• Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
Sydney, Australia
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Harlem tour was a highlight of NY trip”
Reviewed January 13, 2014

Derek was a great guide who obviously loves Harlem and sharing why he loves it with people. I particularly enjoyed the multimedia he used and the amount of history included in the tour. We got there quite early and spent some time looking round the library (the starting point of the tour) and it was well worth it if you have time.
Our tour was on the coldest of cold days and Derek managed to keep the group motivated and entertained despite this.

Atlanta, Georgia
17 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 15 helpful votes
“Fabulous Harlem Tour!”
Reviewed January 12, 2014

I will begin by stating that Harlem wasn't originally on my list of things to do on my recent trip to NYC. My mom really wanted to see Harlem so I found Free Tours by Foot and booked the tour. Now I can report that it was the best part of our trip and I'm ready to take the tour again with my daughter!

Derek was our tour guide and his enthusiasm for the subject was contagious. He added depth to the tour by showing us photos and playing music on his ipad. Derek knows and understands the Harlem of the past and the Harlem of today, it was interesting to hear it all!

Near the end, he gave us an opportunity to try some soul food from Sylvia's - it was a hit! and probably the first time many people had tried this kind of cooking. I spoke with many people on the tour and they all were having a great time!

Harlem plays an important role in our country's history, not just New York's! I highly recommend this tour for anyone visiting the Big Apple!

1 Thank AinAtlanta
New York City, New York
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Good Tour, Great Price”
Reviewed January 12, 2014

We did the Greenwich Village food tour. Most of the food we ate was pretty good (loved the falafel and the artichoke pizza, I wasn't a big fan of the rice balls). I wish the tour guide gave us a bit more information about the history of the food and and the establishments selling it. Our tour was on the short side, only an hour and a half, it was advertised as being two hours.

The best part of the tour was the fact that it is "name your price." I really appreciate this company making a tour for any budget because mine isn't big. I really could give them a 5 because the price is so reasonable, but the tour itself wasn't awesome, it was just very good. I would definitely recommend this tour if you are on a budget and are looking for something fun to do.

1 Thank David S
Sydney, Australia
3 attraction reviews
“Great way to get to know a Great City”
Reviewed January 11, 2014

Did the downtown tour with Onel. Firstly, he was a great tour guide, very knowledgable and funny and just an all round good bloke... Made the tour very enjoyable.
The tour itself though long, was surprisingly not too exhausting with plenty of time for breaks and photos etc.

If you only have a short time in NYC then this is a must!
Then again if you have a little longer this is also a great way to find your bearings!

Thanks Onel! (Oneil without the i)

Visited December 2013