“Fabulous Harlem Tour!”
Review of Free Tours by Foot

Free Tours by Foot
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: <1 hour
Owner description: Free Tours by Foot is pleased to present name-your-own-price New York walking tours. We cover all of Manhattan, parts of Brooklyn, Queens and the Bronx. We also offer name-your-own-price food, bike and bus tours as well as ghost tours as well as free self-guide tours and audio tours. No upfront costs. You decide what a tour was worth or what you could afford once a tour is over. It's the best money back guarantee in the business.
Reviewed January 12, 2014

I will begin by stating that Harlem wasn't originally on my list of things to do on my recent trip to NYC. My mom really wanted to see Harlem so I found Free Tours by Foot and booked the tour. Now I can report that it was the best part of our trip and I'm ready to take the tour again with my daughter!

Derek was our tour guide and his enthusiasm for the subject was contagious. He added depth to the tour by showing us photos and playing music on his ipad. Derek knows and understands the Harlem of the past and the Harlem of today, it was interesting to hear it all!

Near the end, he gave us an opportunity to try some soul food from Sylvia's - it was a hit! and probably the first time many people had tried this kind of cooking. I spoke with many people on the tour and they all were having a great time!

Harlem plays an important role in our country's history, not just New York's! I highly recommend this tour for anyone visiting the Big Apple!

1  Thank AinAtlanta
Write a ReviewReviews (6,228)
All reviews
"great tour"
in 497 reviews
"lower manhattan"
in 417 reviews
"lower east side food tour"
in 138 reviews
in 68 reviews
"knish"
in 55 reviews

Reviewed January 12, 2014

We did the Greenwich Village food tour. Most of the food we ate was pretty good (loved the falafel and the artichoke pizza, I wasn't a big fan of the rice balls). I wish the tour guide gave us a bit more information about the history of the food and and the establishments selling it. Our tour was on the short side, only an hour and a half, it was advertised as being two hours.

The best part of the tour was the fact that it is "name your price." I really appreciate this company making a tour for any budget because mine isn't big. I really could give them a 5 because the price is so reasonable, but the tour itself wasn't awesome, it was just very good. I would definitely recommend this tour if you are on a budget and are looking for something fun to do.

1  Thank David S
Reviewed January 11, 2014

Did the downtown tour with Onel. Firstly, he was a great tour guide, very knowledgable and funny and just an all round good bloke... Made the tour very enjoyable.
The tour itself though long, was surprisingly not too exhausting with plenty of time for breaks and photos etc.

If you only have a short time in NYC then this is a must!
Then again if you have a little longer this is also a great way to find your bearings!

Thanks Onel! (Oneil without the i)

Reviewed January 9, 2014

We booked the Central Park bike tour @ 10AM and our tour guide David was right on time, very presentable; introduced himself and his cute little dog, was very eloquent on giving instructions, explained the route and safety guidelines. And off we went...

I thoroughly enjoyed the tour, David was very knowledgeable, the actual ride wasn't very extenuate and we kept a nice pace, though I should admit that a couple of people in our group were struggling, due to their obvious lack of physical condition, but David was so patient, we all waited for them and he was so encouraging, that all of us had so much fun, we all worked as a team.

I totally recommend this tour, and this company... you never feel obligated to give any specific amount or given any kind of attitude for giving "too little"... It's definitely worth it!

TIP. If after the tour you want to wonder the park on bike by your self ( which I totally recommend!!) don't include the bike in your tour reservation, opt for "bring own bike", and rent it for 24hrs in the same place for only $35dlls, it will include helmet, chain, basket and map (in other places all is charged separately) and can ride all over without any restrictions... we bought soup at the famous "soup man" (only a couple of blocks over) and had a great picnic at the park.

3  Thank Gigi D