“Great tour!”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Free Tours by Foot

Free Tours by Foot
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: <1 hour
Owner description: Free Tours by Foot is pleased to present name-your-own-price New York walking tours. We cover all of Manhattan, parts of Brooklyn, Queens and the Bronx. We also offer name-your-own-price food, bike and bus tours as well as ghost tours as well as free self-guide tours and audio tours. No upfront costs. You decide what a tour was worth or what you could afford once a tour is over. It's the best money back guarantee in the business.
Ottawa, Ontario
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Great tour!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 19, 2013

I did two tours, one of the Lower East Side and one of Midtown Manhattan. Both guides (Robin and Garrett) were extremely friendly, knowledgeable, entertaining and passionate about their work and the city. This is a great way to learn about different neighborhoods in the city, on foot, from a local guide. Highly recommended!

Visited December 2012

• Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
Toronto, Canada
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Lower East Side & Harlem”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 18, 2013

Definitely do the lower east side food tour if you are in town. Our guide was Robin, a knowledgeable Jewish woman who lived in Brooklyn. She shared a heap about the history of the Lower East Side, and showed us some of the stalwarts of the neighborhood (The Pickle Guys; Russ & Daughters; Yonah Shimmel's etc.), and some other place (C&C Prosperity Dumpling; Donut Factory).

At every step, Robin told us about the history, immigration, gentrification, and the bad old days of the 60's and 70's before Mayor Guiliani and Koch.

We also did a walking tour of Harlem. I don't recall the guide's name, but he knew the neighborhood well enough to be on speaking terms with at least a half dozen people we walked by. We saw some Striver's Row, some nice brownstones etc. and he bought us some Collard Greens/ Candied yams from Sylvia's, a classic soul food eatery. We ended up at the Apollo. To be honest, I was expecting a little more from this tour. The guide was OK, but not super-enthusiastic. I don't know what could have made it better, but it felt like it was missing something.

Visited February 2013
Lynden, Washington
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Lower Manhattan Tour”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 12, 2013

Thank you Renee for a great tour. Renee's knowledge of the area and it's history were an immense asset to getting a feel to the city and it's history. I loved how she had pictures to show us for reference when talking about certain areas of the neighborhood.
Touring the area on foot and with a tour guide is definately the only way to go!!
We will certainly be repeat customers.

Visited February 2013
Mesa, Arizona
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Thank you Garrett”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 9, 2013

What can I say but a big Thank you! I am so glad I found this company. There really is no catch. The tour guide was amazing. We had the pleasure to do three tours all with Garrett. He is an amazing tour guide. Like so many people I wanted to do a lot of other tours but it started t get pricey. I came across this site and it was a great experinece. Now one thing I do want to say. After seeign what some people gave him I couldnt believe it! Look I get ot if you dont have $$ but 1 or 2 dollars really?? One person even dropped change in there!! Give the guide what you can but c'mon make an effort and remember how much you were going to pay for another tour.

Visited January 2013
2 Thank Esteban V
Shorewood, Wisconsin
20 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“Harlem through new eyes”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 31, 2013

Through this wonderful walking tour, albeit on an absolutely freezing Friday, Derrick showed us that Harlem is an important piece of American history, not just for New York. Derrick was amazingly informed with an in-depth knowledge of the history of the area through the neighborhoods, former famous clubs, who did what where. He showed us photos, explained and answered any and all questions. Never did I hear a "I don't know or I'll get back to you." Plenty of neighborhood folk knew him and told us stories. Generously he treated us to a taste of Sylvia's collard greens and sweet potatoes-absolutely warming on such a frozen day. I recommend this tour of an area that has been misunderstood, had horrible times and is reviving to a very wonderful area that is a must see when visiting New York City. Thank you Derrick

Visited January 2013