“A MUST STOP!!” 5 of 5 bubbles

and up
East Village Walking Tour with Food Tasting
Ranked #7 of 791 Shopping in New York City
More attraction details
Owner description: Since 1937, on the Lower East Side Economy Candy is an old-fashioned, family-owned candy store that sells thousands of kinds of chocolates, candies, nuts, dried fruits; including halvah, sugar free candy and of course all the old time candy you had when you were a kid. We also specialize in retail and wholesale sales for weddings/parties and other retail businesses.
Columbus
69 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 88 helpful votes
“A MUST STOP!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 21, 2012

While this is "only a candy store" it's an amazing candy store with floor to ceiling candy from now and when my father (who was with us) was a child. We loved the 30 minutes we spent here. I gave each of my children a budget of a couple dollars and they had a blast. I found some really funny packs of gum (with crazy sayings on them) and coin tins (again with crazy sayings on them). I brought several packs of the gum back as adult treats for my friends. If you are in the lower east side with or without kids you should stop in here. GREAT place plus the owners son who now runs it is really fun to talk with! Oh and make sure you check out ALL of the dozens of gum balls in every single color they sell in bulk. Bags and bags of them are behind the counter.

Visited December 2011

• Arabic first
  • Greek first
London
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 16 helpful votes
“What fun”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 2, 2012

Felt like a kid in a candy store. So much fun stuff to look at, delicious fresh covered chocolate stuff, dried fruit and nuts, every stype of candy you can imagine!

Really had to refrain from spending all my money

Visited February 2012
London, United Kingdom
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Great Store!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 15, 2012

Love this store! I spent around $50 on candy and got probably triple what I would have at Dylan's or around Times Square. Staff are lovely and there's plenty of novelty candy as well as the standard stuff. Jelly Belly beans were about $7/lb which was a bargain if you ask me!

Store is very cramped so try not to come after a long day shopping as we did.

Great store. Looking forward to visiting again!

Visited September 2011
New York City, New York
129 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 224 helpful votes
“A heavenly place for all - who does not like floor to ceiling candy??”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 13, 2012

Last year I took a young family member on a "candy" tour of NYC. We added Economy after several other shops we wanted to go to were closed on Mondays (some of the smaller boutique shops are actually closed on Mondays!).

Well, she was in awe. There was candy she never heard of, candy SHE hadn't seen in years and there was candy I haven't seen in years. She must have had 5 lbs of candy when we left. After that, Dylans was a bit of a let-down for her and Hersheys and M&M seemed just normal.

I later took adult family members and they had the same reaction. "Penny" candy was $2.99 per lb vs. $8.99 a lb for M&M's in Time Square. No comparison. Prices are so much better than the mid-town shops and the selection is without doubt, much better.

It is not as glamourous or glitzy as Dylans or the others in Times Square and it is a bit out of the way in lower Manhattan, but just hop on the subway (take the F train to Delancey and walk 1 block north - an easy train to take from Bryant Park). The neighborhood is also typical of a non-touristy area so the visitor gets a double treat. Gets you out of the madness of Times Square for a NY classic experience.

Visited October 2011
Atlanta, Georgia
161 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 148 helpful votes
“Great Old Fashioned Candy”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 24, 2011

A great place to visit to find both current and old-fashioned candy, heaped up to the ceiling of this small store. Great selection, great prices and fun for all ages...

Visited November 2011