“Los Feliz makes me happy”
Review of Los Feliz

Los Feliz
Reserve with OpenTable
Los Feliz is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #6,022 of 14,583 Restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: Mexican
Neighborhood: Lower East Side
Neighborhood: Lower East Side
Reviewed September 29, 2012

The bad stuff first.

Los Feliz is pronounced like the Los Angeles neighborhood of the same name that sort of rhymes with Lost Felix, so you will always sound a little dumb pronouncing this in front of people who simply speak Spanish well and don't know about the detail. Prepare to be corrected one way or the other by someone on either side of the knowledge.

They card you even if you just want to eat. I don't know who on the NYPD is marching up restaurants' hooha's in the Lower East Side, but this trend where your ID is swiped in a Big Brother machine before entering a restaurant just sucks. If I put up with this, it's because the food is really, really good.

The other bad thing is that when they are slow, they close early. As someone who habitually eats late in the evening, this means I often aim there and miss. So, call ahead if it's getting late. I live nearby and it's still annoying. However, if the food is really, really good, I will continue to try and hope fickle places are open.

Oh, and they're a bit pricey.

That said....

Here's the good part -

Los Feliz rocks. Their food is really, really good. The chef, Julietta Ballasteros must be in love when she makes this stuff up. If they have the butternut squash/coconut cream soup special with the crispy mushrooms floating on top, JUST GET IT and eat it slowly, remembering that you are going to die one day and that this is one of the things you might remember on your way out.

The drinks are well prepared and they have a good selection of mezcals, by which I mean the smokey Oaxacan variety (Tequila is also a mezcal but steamed, not roasted, and can only be made in 5 mexican states including its namesake, Tequila). I digress. The drinks are delicious. I like the hibiscus margarita as well as some of the other curious ones with Grapefruit and habanero/jalapeño variations. You might find similar drinks at a place like Barrio Chino. But you probably won't at even La Palapa, whom I like very much.

And here's the thing that keeps bringing me back in a city with lots of good Mexican restaurants- it's unusual. If you want very traditional fare, you will find good things on the menu, but I really like a little adventure.

So, "What's unusual about it?" you may ask. Well, like the fact that they prepare zucchini blossoms. Occasionally they make foie gras tacos. Hello. Yum. I know, this is bad for vegetarians, but I think the butternut squash soup is vegan or at least vegetarian, so please excuse my penchant for evil food. Sometimes the food here is evil, but it tastes really, really good.

Extra stuff - I've never gone on the weekend. They look insanely crowded so I avoid it and can't tell you if the quality remains. I did book a birthday party here a few years ago and the downstairs can accommodate quite a few people. I don't think their actual "party space" is that comfortable, though it is lovely, so we just opted for a big table in the main downstairs dining hall. During the week, the downstairs is closed but you can look.

In general, you can depend on very tasty food, great drinks and if you get the right weekday bartender, some fine rock-n-roll.

Reviewed September 24, 2012

We were seated downstairs. The place looks nice and the food was very good. Only downside was the noise.. We were a party of 4 and could only talk to the person next to us, no group conversation. We finished our meal and rushed out to have a quiet drink somewhere. Definitely more of a party place, not ideal for a nice dinner with friends.

Reviewed August 27, 2012

We passed by this restaurant at least a dozen times before we entered it. It was always crowded and it looked quite mysterious from outside. We finally got in on a Wednesday night and it was awesome. We got spicy margueritas and three different things to eat (cevice was one of them). Everything is hot, so I would suggest a non-pepper drink to go better with the tasty food. It's a little noisy, but it fits the mood of the place. Definitely would be back.

Reviewed May 29, 2012

I stepped into Los Feliz by chance and it happened to be one of the best Mexican restaurants I've been too. I waited three hours for a table at Barrio Chino the other day and this was ten times better and cheaper too. The atmosphere is great, and the interior design very cool and beautiful.
We started off with the classic marguerita for $9 and I went with the Atún cheviche and my husband with the pork belly taco. We were both stunned by how good it was. The presentation was flawless, and the flavor combinations were fantastic. The cheviche came with a watermelon sorbet which sounded weird at first but was wonderfully inovative and very well balanced with the citrusy and spicy cheviche. I can't wait to go back for more. Don't miss this place if you're in NYC!

Reviewed March 20, 2012

Great vibe and great food! Downstairs area has a bit more vibe... but can get loud!