Tripadvisor
New York City

“Hidden Gem on Ninth Avenue”

Samudra NYC Restaurant: Vegetarian & Non-Vegetarian
Order Online
OR
Order Online
Ranked #6,030 of 15,326 Restaurants in New York City
Description: Farm To Table Indian Soul Food...Delicious Southern and Northern Indian food! Vegetarian and Non-Vegetarian options.
Reviewed January 21, 2020

It was a sunny Sunday morning and I had a craving for Indian cuisine. I was staying at the Belvedere on 48th, so I decided to walk up Ninth Avenue and see what looked interesting. Bombay Grill was closest, but was late opening, so I moved up just past 53rd Street and discovered Samudra, a tiny restaurant with less than a dozen tables. This hidden gem had a full lunch buffet for $14.95.

In I went...and sat closer to the kitchen beneath the shrine with multiple images of Ganesha...candles burning. I checked out the buffet and found just what I wanted. I started with nicely spiced tomato soup and then a few pakora consisting of sliced potato battered and fried. There was chicken korma with its nutty and pale almond sauce delicately spiced and quite good. I also enjoyed the cabbage, green bean, pea, and potato vegetarian entree. The sauce was red and seemed to include tomato and fresh ginger - nice. There was also boneless chicken Masala in a rich tomato sauce - my favorite. Also on the buffet was tandoori chicken, dal, rice, and a very nice eggplant dish, also vegetarian. Naan was served at the table.

I enjoyed my lunch, and encourage others to try this hidden gem. Enjoy!

Date of visit: January 2020
Write a reviewReviews (9)

Reviewed January 8, 2020

It was a wonderful dinner experience...
Food was very tasty and the place is very clean.
My family loved it...

Date of visit: January 2020
Reviewed November 1, 2019 via mobile

Samudra was an Indian key hole as a Gastro-digester for the tired Indian travelled in Uptown New York... was a revelation

Date of visit: November 2019
Reviewed October 6, 2019

My family and I traveled to the City to get my hair done. I saw the Samundra restaurant sign from the Salon's window and thought how nice it would be to order some take out before heading back to Queens.
I ordered the food online with more than enough time to have it cooked and ready for me to pick up.
I arrived for my pick up and presented my online receipt. The gentleman looked at my receipt then handed me what I thought was my order. I said thank your for service and left. My family member started to drive while I opened the bag to my order. To my dismay, this was not my order of $69. Luckily,
we were only a few minutes away from the restaurant so I immediately asked my sister to drive me back to the restaurant.
I went back to the restaurant and presented my receipt and the incorrect food that they gave me a few minutes ago. They apologize and took the food back. I waited there for another 15 minutes for them to prepare my food. After 15 minutes they came out from the kitchen with two larger looking bags. I was about to open the bag and one of the gentlemen with blue yes prevented me from opening the bag by reassuring me that everything is in the bags, and that the bags are heavy. They even suggested that I should be careful as the soups were hot. I left the restaurant again and was happy to start our trip back to Queens. Much to my dismay, when I arrived home and opened the bags I was missing $22 worth of order. They deliberately gave me the wrong order again. Thanks Samundra!

Date of visit: October 2019
Reviewed August 17, 2019

A very small, welcoming place. Large portions and not kidding around spice wise. I’m a longtime fan of the Samudra in Queens—note that this has a totally different menu: there’s no griddle to make dosas, but they have non-vegetarian as well as vegetarian options.

Date of visit: July 2019
Samudranyc, Manager at Samudra NYC Restaurant: Vegetarian & Non-Vegetarian, responded to this reviewResponded August 22, 2019

Hello Marlon
We look forward to seeing you at Samudra with family and friends. Thank you