Museum of the American Gangster

from $26.00
from $99.00
from $79.00
More Info
All reviews prohibition era tour guide hard hats east village marks place henry hill news articles great stories new york couple of hours interesting history speakeasy mob artifacts information hardhats readings
Reviewed August 28, 2018

great place to hear the stories of the dark side of new york. don't miss the speakeasy downstairs.it is a blast

Reviewed August 27, 2018

The exhibits themselves are very small and not very well curated. That said, the tour was absolutely fascinating. So many interesting back stories about the history of this old speakeasy. Really enjoyed it!

Reviewed August 7, 2018 via mobile

We got a deal on groupon which was worth it. I'm not sure if it would have been worth paying full price. Full price might be a little steep for what you get. There are only two rooms, but they have scheduled guide tours. You have to check their website for details. Our guide tour was good. She talked very fast, but I think its because there was a lot to cover. She got a couple of things wrong about the gangsters in Chicago, but was very informative about the gangsters in NYC. she took us on a tour of the historical speakeasy next door. It was interesting seeing the secret places and the vault that belonged to Frank Hoffman. The bartender is friendly and informative. We enjoyed it.

Reviewed August 7, 2018 via mobile

Cost $20.00; students with ID $15.00. Cash only, NO Credit Cards. Three of us, all adults went on the tour on Sunday, August 7, 2028. Tour Guide: Eliza.
The tour was worth the cost. You are given a tour of the exhibits with continuous commentary from the tour guide. You are also given a tour of the back rooms, hidden areas, the original speakeasy, and the room where people involved in collecting payoffs and bribes who were skimming off the top were shot and their bodies dumped into the East River a few blocks away via a tunnel that was built connecting the building to the river. All fascinating history. Eliza, our tour guide, was however, a bit strange and perhaps confused. First she told us she grew up in North Carolina in a trailer, her family was trailer park trash, and she was related to mafia figures. Then she said J. Ever Hoover, Director of the FBI, was connected to the Mafia, and he looked the other way. This is complete nonsense! Eliza also spoke way too quickly as if she was from New York and has a distinct dislike of government regulation. You are given hard hats to wear in the basement areas. Take the tour! It’s fun.

Reviewed June 23, 2018

To get anything out of this museum - you need to take the guided tour. Not that gruesome compared to most cop shows on TV these days. Not recommended for children under age 13. The guide is very knowledgeable. Most of the explanation is about prohibition in general and various mobsters from around the USA - not specifically this particular place. The guide then gives the short history of this particular location. There are a few building features that I will not mention - I don't want to spoil this attraction. It takes some imagination to recreate in your mind the original speakeasy. It is not completely in its original condition nor restored back. Some of the building is sealed off for safety reasons. I think a gangster museum is a great idea. It takes a fortune to build a top-shelf attraction.

Reviewed June 18, 2018

My husband picked out this museum as an afternoon activity for our recent trip to NYC. It's hidden away on St. Marks Place. A small museum of just two rooms, but what make the stop worthwhile is the tour guide. She had so much knowledge of the era and the artifacts and made the tour just fascinating. You learn about the big gangsters in part one, then the gangster who owned the actual building in part two which includes a tour of the lower levels. Really fun and interesting - I'm glad we went.

Reviewed June 14, 2018 via mobile

Not only was the building itself a former speakeasy (which the police never raided— why? You may well ask), but the current owners family are still the ones who bought it from the shady people. Definitely take the tour. They point out tons of facts and connections you wouldn’t pick up by reading everything. It’s small but jam-packed with American history of prohibition and how it caused particular types of crime. Put on a hard hat for the basement tour and see the second of two safes that supposedly held millions for decades. The original New York hot dog was actually tasty, with a crisp casing. The bar is the original speakeasy majestic curve of Cuban mahogany. Worth raising a glass to Old New York.

Reviewed May 29, 2018

The museum does not look like much when you first walk in, but the tour is worth every penny (I got a groupon deal). I found it very informative and also fascinating! The guide was very knowledgeable and clearly passionate about the subject. We ended up having to leave before the tour went down into the basement because it was running a little long, but the hour we spent was well worth it.

Reviewed May 6, 2018

If you are at all interested in the prohibition era gangsters, then this is the tour for you. The 'museum' is very unusual and small (it's essentially a large room of collected memorabilia.) If you are not interested in the guided tour, you probably wont get much out of visiting this museum. Mary was our tour guide, and was extremely informative. There is a speakeasy downstairs, which was a unique end to the tour, although we appreciated the effort to keep some of the original features, it looked neglected, and in need of some TLC. Tickets bought on Groupon

1  Thank VikingZoltan
Reviewed March 18, 2018

I attended a tour of this museum through New York Adventure Club. (If you'd like, please see my New York Adventure Club review - a fantastic tour/event/social group that in my opinion should be much higher up in the "Things To Do in New York City" list). Therefore, I'm not sure if every tour of the museum is like this (or if a tour is even required) - so please keep in mind that I'm specifically reviewing the NYAC tour of the museum.

The tour guide was fantastic. She boiled down a lot of interesting and possibly not well known information into about an hour and a half, injecting humor and enthusiasm into her tour that kept my attention when honestly, history and gangsters never quite interested me much! The museum is very small, but filled with pictures, articles and artifacts. Without the tour itself, I doubt I would have gotten as much out of the items in the museum. The tour guide used the items well to support her lecture.

A walk into the bar itself and the basement (once the meeting place of gangsters, now mostly used for storage) was included. Hardhats were required, or you were at least supposed to hold it in your hand for liability purposes.

If the tour of the bar and basement are part of every tour of this museum, I would opt to visit on a day when the bar isn't super-packed, like it was when I attended on St. Patrick's Day. I really wanted to stay and have a drink at such a historic bar, but I could barely move around it, so left without getting a drink.