“a top-10 meal”
Review of Maialino

Maialino
Reserve with OpenTable
Maialino is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #385 of 14,032 Restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Gramercy Park
Cross street: 21st Street
Transit: 6 train to 23rd Street, 4, 5, 6, L, N, Q, R & W trains to 14th Street/Union Square.
Reviewed January 13, 2014

I'm partial to Roman-style Italian and love pig in all forms, so I was bound to like Maialino since it focuses on both. Even still, this is one of the best restaurant experiences I've ever had. The dining room is cozy and inviting, the service is so friendly, and the menu -- my husband and I pored over it, fretting over decisions that had to be made since we couldn't eat everything. The pig here doesn't disappoint -- you'll get all the crispy skin and ropy, roasty meat you desire. Leave room for pasta, though: it's the stuff dreams are made of (especially the carbonara).

Reviewed January 10, 2014

Tried the spaghetti with lobster special. Extremely good. Companion tried the pork ribs, just average. The wine list is extensssssive But pricey. Cheese and salumi selection was good, but underwhelming when tasted. Overall, an excellent choice for the neighborhood, but pricey.

Reviewed January 8, 2014

This restaurant in the Gramercy Park Hotel is wonderful. My wife & I chose the "Leave yourself in our hands" menu (without offal) and were treated to a four course tour of Italy that left us gasping and glued to our seats. Probably some of the best Italian food we've ever had. If we return, we would sample from the rest of the menu and perhaps eat a bit less! Extensive wine list, but the waiter was very helpful in finding a bottle that was in our price range and excellent. We'll be back on our next visit to New York

Reviewed January 6, 2014

Went here for latte and olive oil bread in the morning! Yum. They also open late so I was able to meet up w friends and not venture too far with infant. Not the super kid friendliest but we found a table in a corner and they were accommodating enough.

Reviewed January 2, 2014

I have been many times and every time I love this place. I have taken friends and family and nobody has ever been disappointed. The menu is heavily inspired to Roman cuisine, a less known but delicious region for Italian food. Think prosciutto, pastas with cheese and rich sauces like carbonara, arrabbiata and tonnarelli cacio e pepe, a must have if you have not had it yet.
They are also open all day:
Go for breakfast and have cappuccino and toast. I honestly think their breakfast is perfection.
Go for Happy Hour and have great drinks.
Go for dinner and, if you can, just do the tasting menu. It's fantastic. or order a la carte.
Leave room for dessert and try the olive oil cake or the torta della nonna as they are fantastic.

Now for the tasting menu: when I did it, I got a couple of appetizers, a taste of a few pastas, the lamb and carrot with pistachios. Amazing three hour meal. I could not have the dessert as I was too full.

Service is excellent and professional and it's the perfect spot for a special occasion, a business dinner or a family dinner.