“Not worth the money”
Review of Jean Georges

Jean Georges
Reserve with OpenTable
Jean Georges is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #109 of 13,826 Restaurants in New York City
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighborhood: Upper West Side
Cross street: 60th and 61st Streets
Transit: A C, B, D, or 1 line to 59th Street Columbus Circle.
Description: Jean-Georges opened in 1997 to critical acclaim. The jewel of Chef Jean-Georges Vongerichten’s empire, the restaurant offers the very best in fine dining. Consistently awarded four stars by the New York Times and three Michelin stars, Jean-Georges presents exquisitely crafted dishes blending French, American, and Asian influences. The local farmer’s market is the driving force behind the seasonal, ever-changing menu. Chef Jean-Georges is a master at maintaining the essence of ingredients while using them inventively to produce the best flavor. Jean-Georges’ chic and intimate dining room was redesigned by Thomas Juul-Hansen, with striking lighting by L’Observatoire. Impeccable service, tableside preparations, and floor-to-ceiling windows with stunning views of Central Park and Columbus Circle all contribute to an unforgettable dining experience. Jean-Georges offers a three-course prix-fixe menu and two six-course tasting menus: a traditional tasting of the chef’s signature dishes, and a seasonal tasting featuring fresh market ingredients. The prix-fixe and tasting menus are available Monday through Sunday for dinner. The restaurant also offers a two-course lunch menu for a terrific value. Gentleman are required to wear a jacket. No jeans, sweatshirts or sneakers allowed. Tie is not required.
“Not worth the money”
Reviewed January 22, 2013 via mobile

Everything you would expect to find in a classy restaurant is here only one thing was not right and unfortunately it was the most important thing. "The food"

I expected too much I guess, hoping it would be something comparable to "Rene pujol". For me the appetizer of foie gras brûlée was the only food tasty enough. The rest were bad. The sea bass was dried and bland. The wagyu I hoped would quench my craving for beef would be good... But it was raw after specifying it to be medium rare. :( paid $118. I expected more.... Really disappointed.

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
“Over Rated”
Reviewed January 22, 2013 via mobile

I for one don't mind spending money for good food. I was excited to eat here. Having 3 michelin stars?! I wonder what happend? I've eaten at places that have 1 michelin star but serve better food. The food was bland and tAsteless!! we were 5 people and we had a bill amounting to 1 thousand dollars i expected better tasting food!!! The only thing that tasted good were the appetizers! Overall Disappointed!!!

Los Angeles
“Outstanding food, worth every penny, and well worth the trip”
Reviewed January 21, 2013

Please do yourself a favor and don't waste your time reading a post indicating this restaurant is anything less than perfect. The service is exceptional, the food is actually fairly priced for the quality, and the food is the gold standard in every way. Jean Georges absolutely runs with Per Se, French Laundry, and all the rest. Do yourself a big favor and visit Jean Georges for a special ocassion.

Brisbane, Australia
“Amazing Experience”
Reviewed January 21, 2013

As someone who has travelled quite a lot and visited a lot of nice restaurants (including three of the top 20 in the world) I was apprehensive when I walked into what could be described as an average hotel dining room as far as decor is concerned but as soon as we were seated my opinion changed.

The service was top notch, the waiters were engaging and their recommendations for the table were superb (we were travelling with a 6 year old and a 10 year old who both loved their meals based on the staff recommendations). The food was absolutely divine, as it was lunch we all ordered off the individual menus rather than the tasting menu and the Wagyu was the richest most tender steak I have ever had the pleasure to enjoy.

Although it is not much to look at strictly speaking I would recommend this restaurant to anyone visiting New York, at least for the lunch menu. However make sure you check with the staff upon booking as they do not like parties including children- we had to promise that the 6 and 10 year old would behave.

New York City, New York
“Interesting experience...”
Reviewed January 20, 2013

I decided to go here with a friend from out of town....it was our one fancy, schmansy dinner while she was in NY. I can say that this was an interesting experience....

The restaurant is located in The Trump Tower on the Upper West Side. Upon walking in, you are greeted by the host, you walk through the bar area where there is a separate dining area till we walk a little further into the main dining room. Here you can tell, we stepped into another world! LOL

The menu is all a tasting ranging from a 3 course for $118 to the Jean Georges or Winter tasting menu for $168. It becomes more if you add a wine pairing. There is no a la carte menu so be prepared to spend about $200/pp. My friend and I did the 3 course and I guess what doesn't hurt so much is that they give you little "extras" here and there throughout your meal.

They start you out with a palate cleanser which was a trio of small bites which were delish. Our first course came out and was fine, second course was ehhh...third course very good. After, we were offered a dessert tasting which we didn't realize was part of the whole tasting but it is so order your dessert! Before dessert came out, they came out with a tasting of their sorbets and after we finished dessert, they give you a plate of chocolates and their homemade marshmallows. Those little extras are nice....and after paying the bill, they give you a little bag with a box of chocolates which was very nice.

Overall, this was an experience. I honestly don't feel like it's worth the money but if you've never been and want to do it - go for it! One other thing is that I can say, I didn't leave hungry! Thank goodness....