“Brand new superb location”

InterContinental New York Times Square
Ranked #170 of 466 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersGold level
Toronto, Canada
“Brand new superb location”
Reviewed December 10, 2010

Just opened. Nice room, a total view of the Hudson and NYC, quite nice actually. Room is small for 2 double beds and the 52inch TV was bigger than the room! The drapes are a nightmare - it has no break so to close your drapes or open to see the view, its really a task indeed where the desk is. Nice rain shower. Now, for a hotel this price over $500 per night, and not a steam sauna in the fitness center is madness!! Utter madness. So many people and bell hops hanging around, it gives me the creeps. Todd English restaurant was ok but breakfast was pricey. DONT TOUCH the minbar. Get rid of that big dresser and hang the TV and create more space. And the elevator that talks LABBY, it should be LOBBY and the music is way too loud. And for over $500 stop nickle and dime people for high speed internet.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled solo
2 Thank Spencertraveller

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,269)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Dallas
Reviewed December 10, 2010

Just had a meeting of 30 people and they did a superb job of providing the right space, great food and there is no task they can't find the answer to. The front desk personnel are very efficient and helpful, the concierge team is second to none; the catering department is awesome and the bellman all are very courteous and professional.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank assistantDallas
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed December 9, 2010

I have never wrote a travel review before, but I had to after my stay at the Intercontinental Times Square in late October. I had never stayed at this hotel before and as it was not the Mandarin Oriental or The Four Seasons, I was worried about what I was going to experience. Well was I ever pleasantly surprised. First, when you walk in the lobby , the atmosphere and decor is just lovely. Every staff member, from the bellmen to baggage, to conceierge, to front desk was very friendly and helpful. When we opened the door to the room, we were again pleasantly surprised. All of the furniture and bedding looked and smelled fresh, there was a big flat screen television and the view was very nice. I did not have a room with the fantastic river views, but next time I am going to try for a corner room with that view. The bathroom was very roomy with a huge shower with rain and hand held shower heads. There was no tub, but with that large shower for two.....who cares! What topped everything off was the beds. The bedding was so soft and plush and the mattress was wonderful. I have a bad back and I woke up feeling refreshed instead of achy. I intended to venture out after my meetings, but once I layed on the bed.....that was all she wrote. There is also a very nice restaurant, a 24 hour fitness center and more I did not get a chance to experience. Oh, and it is in a great location. The rates vary, but all are reasonable and certainly well worth what you receive.
I will be going back to the City in the near future, this time to see a show, restaurants and some shopping and needless to say, I will be staying at the Intercontinental.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank easytuck
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed December 8, 2010

We stayed at the Intercontinental Times Square over Thanksgiving week and had a wonderful stay. The hotel is beautiful and the location is perfect if you are there to see shows. We saw four Broadway shows and we were able to walk to all of them easily. The room was lovely and the service was excellent. My only complaint was the lack of a mirror in the room (only in the bathroom). Also, dinner in the restaurant was wonderful. It's not inexpensive, but definitely worth the money.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank njbenny2851
Staffordshire
Reviewed December 7, 2010

This was a big holiday for us, as it was a double celebration of 'significant' birthdays, and a once in a lifetime opportunity to spoil ourselves and as such I spent absolutely ages researching New York hotels as I wanted something special. I also wanted a room that was slightly more spacious than the average size for a New York hotel as we were there for 10 days. We were not disappointed, this hotel was absolutely wonderful. From start to finish all the staff were consistently friendly, polite and helpful. Our room was spotless, the turndown service was a lovely touch with a chocolate each night and if we wanted extra tea and coffee we just left a note requesting a few more and were always obliged.
The hotel itself is just a street away from Times Square but far enough to be away from the madding crowd. There was no noise at all with the window shut and even when the window was open there was only ever the faint sound of the odd siren, but then again this is New York! We also had a view of the Hudson river from our room which was wonderful.
The whole holiday was all we had hoped it would be and more besides, and we wouldn't hesitate to recommend this hotel to anyone who was considering staying there. My only concern is that as the hotel (which is new) has become established it will exceed our budget which is a shame because I am desperately keen to go back!

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank MonandStu
phila
Reviewed December 6, 2010

I recently booked a room at this new Intercontinental location thinking that it was the Barclay Intercontinental. After realizing it when the reservation email arrived, I called reservations and was told that I needed to call the hotel reservation manager since it was a non-refundable reservation. I called and left no less than four messages for the reservation manager mentioning that I am a Priority Club member but never got a single return phone call. I therefore contacted American Express and put the charge in dispute since I never stayed at the hotel. Buyer beware...this hotel does not understand what it means to be in the hospitalilty industry.

Stayed December 2010, traveled on business
9 Thank jdevine
Middlesbrough, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 6, 2010

The hotel on arrival is extremely clean and tidy and everyone is very friendly. We arrived late on the night and it seemed like there was lots going on but always someone on hand to help.
First minor quibble is the number of doormen that are needed for 4 bags. Being British we dont tend to tip like the Americans and I understand it is customary but I dont see the need for one doormen to bring cases from the cab to the check-in desk (approx 30 feet) and need tipping $5 then another to move them to the lift and out at the room floor and then needing another $5 tip. Its not much I know, but one bellboy to do the trip wud have been nicer.
The rooms are spotless and a decent size. We were 4 adults in a 2 double bed room and didnt have any problems with moving around space other than slightly wider wardrobe would have been better and the extra mirror as many have said.
I emailed the hotel 2 days before I left and asked if there were any of these rooms on higher floors I could request on arrival and the reasons why we were travelling which was a celebration. The reply was very nice but said higher floors were upgrades which is understandable, but the reply said that as we were celebrating they would send something up to our room. Unfortunately this never arrived, I didn't expect anything just because I had emailed but I'm pleased I never mentioned it to the family!
The only other problem we encountered was that the room was stated as being for 4 people, however the amenities didn't suggest this. There were only two mugs and two glasses, we asked for more and they were brought up but the next day the maid removed them. We asked for them back and more milk as 2 tiny pots isn't enough for 4 people, more was brought but very limited. By the end we had to leave notes for the maid every day stating there were 4 in the room and not to remove the mugs and leave supplies!
The coffee machine is good for coffee, not so good for the tea provided but u can leave an empty tea pod in the machine, allow the hot water to run through and put your own tea bag in the mug! Bit of a problem that the coffee machine is on a slide out tray under the desk but nowhere near a plug, it has to be placed on top of the desk with each use which losses quite a bit of space especially with 4 in a room.
Other than those slight problems, the hotel is really good quality (the beds are incredible) and tries to provide everything a quest would need. I particularly like the business centre that has mac computers set up to print boarding passes and select your seats on the plane if your airline allows this, which we definately needed! This is all free which saves the high cost of computers/wifi in the room. I would definately return and recommend this hotel for furture stays.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with family