“modern and new”

InterContinental New York Times Square
Ranked #182 of 469 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed October 13, 2010

The hotel is well located 2 blocks from times sq and easy walking to theatres and a million other things. Subway is right around the corner as is the port authority bus system, many restaurants in the area and shake shack is a must for a good quality burger. Internet is reasonable at 13 bucks a day for low speed and 15 for big bandwidth... Ca Va the hotel restaurant was okay but food quality wise was good but i found breakfast to be very expensive and lacked basic breakfast faves,,,, Thought it was a little ridiculous to go gourmet breakfast with quail eggs or duck eggs... Dinner was great and fairly priced but despite our reservations we ended up with a table for 5 with the 3 of us seated, its very loud in ca va and this made the experience very dissapointing. The rooms were well appointed and the beds were great. ( to new for bed bugs )flat screen tv's and wonderful bathrooms.. We took the manhatten suite which has a large living room, dining room and an office which our daughter used as a bedroom as it had a pull out couch. Our bed was in the adjoining room which serves as a lockoff to the suite. NY hotel prices are stupid and the Intercon is no exception. I negotiated a good rate on the suite by phoning the hotel and i did have some problems with the negotiated price and the actual when i got the confirmation, I took the chance an ended up having to pay an extra 200 a night ( tax ) but then again i could have left early once the misscommunication became clear. As this was a suite i wont post the price but you can email me if you want to know.. Please note suites are much more expensive then a regular room and the rack rate for the manhatten suite is 3500 per night.. Although i thought the hotel was great i did find it a little more business like then a family experience.
The hotel was very international but men far outnumbered families and women, staff was friendly and actually communicated and kibitzed with guests.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled with family
2  Thank Johannes K

Reviewed October 13, 2010

The location is fantastic, close enough to all the glitz of Times Square but not so close that the noise keeps you up all night. Brand new hotel so everything is clean and new. Staff are not overly friendly but hey its New York. Hotel bar is nice, but as with most hotels, expensive. Right on Broadway so you can walk to any shows which is great. We will definitely stay there again. Only negative - Stay away from the room service as its really bad but no need to order to your room when there are pizza shops right across the road. Oh and the computer in the room is very handy but using the internet is very expensive.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank TigerTravel05
Reviewed October 12, 2010

Spent a long weekend in New York City to celebrate an anniversary. My wife and I have not visited NYC before and used TripAdvisor extensively to select a hotel. We picked Hotel Intercontinental because of the competitive rate and because it was a new hotel. We were very happy with our choice.

THE ROOM: We went with the skyview room. Great view of the city. The room was "roomier" than what I expected for NYC. The bed was very comfortable and the linens luxurious. The bathroom was average size. It was shower only, but I don't care for bathtubs. I liked the shower fixture with the ceiling shower head. The toilet was goofy and needed to be rattled to keep the water from running constantly. The shampoo and soap was very nice. The hotel was extremely clean -- no bed bugs!

LOCATION. For a trip that was very theater oriented, the location was excellent. The hotel is located a block away from the Phantom of the Opera and couple of blocks away from Times Square. The distance away from Times Square is nice because noise is not an issue. The hotel is also located right next to a blue line subway stop, which makes it extremely convenient. If you plan to spend your trip and want to be in the theater district, this location can't be beat.

SERVICE. Service was very polite and not over-bearing. House-keeping did a good job and was extremely non-intrusive. The concierge was very helpful and helped us plan our weekend.

CONS: Internet service should be standard with room rate!

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank EDaveTX
Reviewed October 12, 2010

We have stayed in New York many times and usually favor the boutique hotels, but decided to go for a larger scale hotel in the heart of Times Square. We decided on the Intercontinental because it is brand new.

The hotel is gigantic and the lobby is very busy and hectic. Yet they still managed to create a very boutique feeling, and we attributed this to the attitude of the staff. The decor was very hip as were the front desk people. Much to our surprise, the desk staff was extremely nice and didn't have any of the attitude that you can sometimes find in "cool" hotels.

We loved the huge shower and the big bathroom. We also loved being in Times Square without actually being in the center where all the congestion is. It was easy to hail taxi cabs and the doormen were always able to help us.

Shout out to the concierge area where you can hang out. They were a very cool group and it was fun to get their advice about where all the best places were in the city. They even helped us find a food truck that we heard about on the food network. They definitely know the city.

We would definitely stay there again, and recommend this hotel to anyone who is looking for that "boutique" feel without having to sacrifice on first class service. It was no deal, but I always say you get what you pay for, and it was well worth it.

1  Thank Pagalui
Reviewed October 12, 2010

We decided to take my daughter to New York for her 16th birthday. My husband visits the city regularly on business but I have never been before. I researched carefully and read a lot about poor service, unfriendliness and small rooms so I was very pleasantly surprised.
Our welcome at the Intercontinental was excellent, the floor staff were friendly and our check in was efficient. We had two rooms, a corner twin and double. I felt that they were quite small but my husband assured me that by New York standards the sizes were good.
The bathrooms were spacious, well equipped and well designed. The decor of the room was minimalist which is to our taste. Our only negative comment would be that the design and arrangement of the corner double meant that the TV was on a side wall and difficult to watch, not a concern for us but maybe for some. All the fittings and equipment were clean and of good quality, of course they are all new so this standard needs to be maintained. I dislike the increasing use of sensor refrigerators in hotels they seem to lead to arguments and leave no space for personal items. I also resent paying for WiFi in a quality hotel. On the whole I would give the room very high marks.
The concierge was helpful with our questions, arranged a meal for us and gave helpful advice. Service in the bar area was a little slow and we found seating hard to come by even at quiet times, mainly due to the arrangement of seatimg in large groups. We did not use room service.
On our return on Saturday evening we found that one of the bell staff had arranged a slice of cake and a card for my daughter which was waiting in the room. This was completely spontaneous as we had not informed the hotel of her birthday and the subject had only come up in a brief conversation. We were delighted with such a thoughtful gesture.
The bell hops were all superb, a really positive feature of the hotel giving a friendly welcome on arrival and a positive feeling on leaving, not to mention impeccable service.
We found the rooms to be excellent, the staff friendly and helpful and standards to be high. I hope it continues, if so would happily recommend.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family
3  Thank Karen0101
Reviewed October 11, 2010

After researching hotels extensively, we decided on the InterContinental Times Square, due in large part to the rave reviews, and the fact that it's brand new. There isn't a lot to complain about - overall, it is a very clean and decent hotel. It just feels more like a nice bargain value hotel (like a Marriott Courtyard or Hilton Garden Inn) than an InterContinental.

Everything, from the small lobby, small elevator banks, TINY rooms (we were upgraded to a sky view, corner room that was so small, my husband and I were practically tripping over each other - the end of the bed was about two feet from the wall) to the indifferent concierge who told me he "didn't have time to help me" when I requested assistance changing our travel plans.

This is also reflected in the slow and very average service. We ordered two glasses of wine and a pitcher of ice water from room service after returning to our room after a long day of sightseeing. I explained to the woman on the phone that we were extremely thirsty and requested a large pitcher and two glasses of ice water in addition to the wine. She readily agreed and said it would be up as soon as possible. An hour later, my husband called them to ask for a status update on the order. He was told they would "look into it," and call back. Five minutes later, they called back to say the order was on its way. After waiting more than an hour, we received only the wine, and absolutely no water. They did remedy the situation by sending up a free large glass bottle of Evian water after I expressed my disappointment, but that's not the type of service you expect at a supposedly "high-end" hotel.

When I went to speak to the concierge about making an adjustment to our travel plans, he literally told me that he "could help me, but didn't have the time." He told me I could "use their business center," to handle it myself (sure, for $7.50 for 15 minutes of internet). I was in absolute shock - I have never before been turned down for help by a concierge at an upscale hotel. Again, that is why I would not call this an upscale hotel. This is more like your very average, basic, no-frills accommodations - which would be FINE if they didn't charge upscale prices (upwards of $500/night when you include NY city and state taxes). So, the bottom line is, if you're looking for a very basic stay at a clean place, this might work (if you don't mind shelling out $500 a night) but if you are looking for premium service, you will not get it here. Huge disappointment.

One exception are the bellhops outside the hotel - they were absolutely fantastic, and if the rest of the hotel took a cue from them in terms of providing top-notch service, they would be on the right track.

1  Thank steph21480
Reviewed October 10, 2010

I usually don't comment on hotels unless my experience exceeds exception or is just plain terrible. Being a Priority Club Platinum and InterContinental Ambassador Member we have always received outstanding service from other hotels in the InterContinental family. Being a new hotel that opened in July, we were both looking forward to staying there for the weekend. The first day we left our room at 10:00 to explore NYC. When we returned at 6:00pm the room had not been cleaned and no towels had been replaced. We called Guest Services and waited 5 minutes before we were connected to a human voice. We were told housekeeping would be up at 7:00pm to clean our room. We quickly showered and dressed for dinner. When we returned to our room at 10:00pm housekeeping had just started cleaning the room. I went down to the lobby and found the duty manager, Lisa Patel, who had promised us earlier that the room would be cleaned at 7:00pm. This time she proceeded to make excuses, telling us the hotel was booked to capacity and they were having problems meeting the demand. If this is how they treat their Ambassador Members then I would hate to see how other guests are treated. I don't want to sound like a spoiled child, complaining about my room not being cleaned on time, but we spend a lot of time away from home and are faithful customers to the IC Hotel chain. If that was the only issue with the service at this hotel then I would not be writing this review. It was more about the overall attitude, from the manager, the front desk, and the experience dealing with guest relations. The service just didn't feel like the other IC Hotels that we have stayed at in the past. The rooms are very small and for the price we had to pay, $500 a night, you would expect a little extra in space and service. . The HVAC system in the room runs all the time unless you completely turn it off. We both didn't sleep well because of the air quality and waking up with an extreme case of dry month several times during the night. There are so many other choices in this area that provide better service and overall value I see no reason for us to come back to this one.

5  Thank John B