“Very good but consider another during high season”

InterContinental New York Times Square
Ranked #179 of 469 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed December 8, 2013

I have stayed here before and loved it. Location by Times Square does not always work for me but it's right by the train station with multiple subways so excluding all the tourists surrounding Times Square, the location is reasonable. Shake Shack is right around the corner so it's definitely not a loss. Ca Va (Tood English's) restaurant is downstairs and has a wonderful lounge/restaurant with cocktails and food. The pomme frites are fantastic. However, I have stayed here before and the service and stay was great. However, high season during the holidays was a bit of disaster. Do not stay on the lower floors such as 3-4, you can feel and hear the subway. There was a lot of miscommunication after my arrival......one party would tell me our room was near ready and then another party would inform me they didn't know. Our 2nd room was not ready until almost 6PM when we checked in at 2PM which didn't seem to matter despite the fact that I booked this room over a month ago and am an Ambassador Club member. The doorman are nice.....but the front desk staff need some assistance on improved communication despite being cordial. For instance, I had to call the staff 4 times for the same item.......best not during high season....The gym is great.

Room Tip: Any room above floors 3-5 would probably be best despite a larger room or room upgrade. Higher floo...
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
Executive Offic... ., Manager at InterContinental New York Times Square, responded to this reviewResponded December 9, 2013

Dear DocFoodie:

Thank you for posting about your recent stay! We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed our location, restaurant, and service from our bell team. We sincerely apologize that we missed the mark on some aspects of service. We thank you for bringing this to our attention, so that we may ensure that this does not occur in the future. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Reviewed December 6, 2013

Hotel location is the best, especially if its your first time in NYC - you're in the heart of the city. Hotel rooms were standard, clean, spacious. Hotel restaurant and bar is good - but with so many choices just out the front door - its easy to overlook, great place to sit and relax. Service was great all around, although the woman at the Front Desk, Victoria, was really unpleasant to deal with, from being cold and off putting to guest to arguing and reprimanding associates for trying to help other guests - very unprofessional thing to do while guest is standing in front of you. I won't get into details. Other than her, all the staff were very helpful and courteous, people going out of their way to greet you and make your stay more pleasant. Can't say enough. Highly recommend.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family

Dear Vondarkmoor:

Thank you for your your review! We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay overall. We do apologize for the lapse in service that you encountered at the front desk. We look forward to welcoming you back soon, so that we may provide a truly InterContinental experience.

Reviewed December 6, 2013

The Intercontinental is very well located: Subway, bus terminal and adjacent to Times Square. I found the hotel very modern, certainly compared to the average boring and conservative built hotel in the US. The room and bathroom are spacious and I really liked the soft bed/matras.The business traveler will find all practical facilities and tools in the room. Also super is the fitness floor, its really huge and almost all equipment that you find a normal fitness center can be found here as well. Breakfast is OK but not so varied as I have seen in other hotels. The hotel is pretty pricey, but you get real quality...and you have to realize that you are staying in an NY City hotel.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business

Dear Glenn:

Thank you for your rave review! We are delighted to hear that we made your recent stay memorable. We look forward to your next visit!

Reviewed December 6, 2013

This is one of the most amazing hotels ever! Clean & courteous service! Absolutely amazing view & so close to all the action!!!!!!! The bed was so comfortable & normally I don't sleep well when I am away from home- I slept better than when I am at home! lol
Love it! Love it!

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear SillyShorty:

Thank you for your 5-star review! We are thrilled to hear that you enjoyed a good night's rest on our plush beds in the heart of the city that never sleeps! We look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Reviewed December 6, 2013

Very small rooms - no room to swing the cat!

Seriously there was about 3 ft of space right round the bed. Other than that the rooms are fine. Breakfast good as is service.

Location is perfect. Next to Times Sq but without the hustle & bustle.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Graeme_UK_9:

Thank you for posting about your recent stay! While New York City hotel rooms are notoriously "cozy", we are pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay overall. You may wish to consider one of our Studio rooms on your next stay, as these are about 550 square feet and are much larger than our regular rooms, which average around 350 square feet. We look forward to your next stay with us!

Reviewed December 5, 2013

We stayed here for a couple of nights in November as part of out honeymoon road trip.. We arrived in the middle of the day with a car, the parking garage is literally opposite the hotel door get your ticket stamped by the hotel and it's only $25 a day, which in New York is a bargain!

The staff were friendly, the room we had was a corner room with a good view.
Very clean and the shower was really hot and powerful.

A stones throw away from Time Square and great location base for all major attractions.

Only moan... $12.95 a day for wifi.... A DAY! Anyone pay $388 a month for there home broadband? Cheaper hotels give free wifi.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Marc:

Thank you for your 5-star review! We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your recent stay. We are happy to announce that beginning in 2014, all InterContinental Hotels and Resorts will be offering complimentary wifi for IHG Rewards guests. While we are sorry this service wasn't available for this stay, we do look forward to offering this on your next visit.

Reviewed December 5, 2013

As an IHG Platinum Ambassador, I was expecting more. I guess I had a misguided notion that due to my hotel loyalty status, I would be treated a little bit differently.

When I arrived I checked-in at the designated Ambassador desk. The employee could have been a little friendlier. He was actually a little argumentative about which room I actually booked, and which room I would be upgraded to. It all got sorted out, and I was told they'd call me when my room was ready. When I got to my room, there was no in-room gift or fruit as promised to Ambassador members. There seemed to be a general oversight in regards to Elite members.

While in the room, I noticed there were dark red/brown stains on the bed-sheets. Not sure if it was blood or something else. I immediately called the front desk and told them. Two managers promptly came up to my room and inspected the bed themselves. They agreed that is was unacceptable. They told me that they would switch my rooms. I was going out for the night so I was told to leave all my stuff in my room, and they would transfer it to my new room once it was gone.

When I came back to the hotel that night around midnight, I went to my new room. It was a sky-view room on the second highest floor, with amazing views of 8th avenue and the skyline. The room was immaculate, and they had left a bottle of wine, some fruit, and chocolates in my room. This was a nice touch, I just wish it had been that way since the second I checked into the hotel.

Overall the hotel is clean and modern, and the service is very professional. The rooms and views are also amazing, and come at a great value especially being so close to Times Square. But just a note to those of you who are thinking about booking here: you are not actually in Times Square. You are about 3 blocks away, a 5 minute walk or so. If I didn't have any expectations coming into this stay, it would have been excellent. But I did, and the hotel fell a little short. But I can't deny the hotel less than 4 stars.

Room Tip: Rooms on the 8th avenue side are amazing. Book a sky-view room. Room 3505 had a great view.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Evan M
Executive Offic... ., Manager at InterContinental New York Times Square, responded to this reviewResponded December 6, 2013

Dear Evan:

First and foremost, thank you for being a loyal InterContinental Platinum Ambassador! We are so sorry that your check-in experience was not up to the InterContinental standard. We are so glad you brought this and other items to our attention, and that we were able to reaffirm your faith in our hotel during your stay. We do welcome you to reach out to us directly the next time your travels bring you to our area so that we may not only meet, but exceed, your expectations.

executiveoffice@icnyts.com