“A comfort in the middle of manhattan” 5 of 5 bubbles

InterContinental New York Times Square
Ranked #191 of 464 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersGold level
Bali, Indonesia
“A comfort in the middle of manhattan”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 9, 2013

I stayed here on my recent visit to New York, and what a wonderful property to stay in. Located on 44th west st, Intercon just a walking distance to Times Square. I got a nice room on high floor, the bed was so comfortable, the room fully equipped with traveler need, from mini pc, LCD tv, Bose iPod dock, and mini bar ith alcohol. I would love to highlight the cleanliness of the bathroom. There is a lounge bar downstairs, but I didn't use it as you there heaps of restaurant around. You have to try burger joint on thr corner "shake shack" they serve brilliant burger and the line always full. The room was so quiet even though the hotel is right in the middle of the city. The convention room located on ground floor, The room was very modern, the staff are friendly and always greet you in the professional manner. The only glitch I have experienced was when I didn't get rewarded for my stay. The concierge staff clearly mentioned that I would definitely get the point, I had to contact pcr centre to discuss further. Other than that, it was a great stay, and this is Trully Intercontinental experience.

Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Executive Offic... ., Manager at InterContinental New York Times Square, responded to this review, September 10, 2013
Dear David S:

Thank you for your rave review! We are thrilled to hear that you enjoyed our location, guestroom amenities, and service. We apologize for any miscommunication regarding your IHG Rewards points. Please reach out to us at executiveoffice@icnyts.com, should you need any additional assistance. We look forward to your next stay with us!

Executive Office

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,193)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 9, 2013

Very elegant hotel but without the usual fussiness of staff that comes with a hotel of this standard. I travelled to New York from Canada where we were staying with friends for a 3 day inter holiday break. Travelling with me were my sons aged 5 and 15. The Intercontinental Times Square is in an excellent location. Although I have been to New York with friends before (stayed at the Waldorf) I was concerned that I would struggle to find my way around. i needn't have worried. The location is perfect. Grand Central, The Chrysler Building, Empire State Building, Central Park, The Flat Iron, The Rockefeller Plaza and 5th Avenue are in walking distance from the hotel and we did them all during our 3 night stay. Bryant Park is also nearby and my 5 year old greatly enjoyed the HBO Sunset Screening of ET in this Park. Although the hotel is near to Times Square it is far enough away to walk in another direct and get a real feeling for New York. I would recommend both the Shake Shack on the corner and also the Gourmet New York Deli just down the road. Broadway is also on your doorstep. I will always stay at this hotel when visiting New York. Staff are friendly and efficient but not in your face. The bathroom is to die for (and that is saying something as I am very fussy about cleanliness especially the bathroom and I could not detect any flaws). As I had the children I didn't access the downstairs bar but saw it in the evening and it looked very inviting and comfortable. Only negative is beware the wired mini bar. Luckily I had read Trip Adviser before I left so I was aware that if you lift an item out of the bar you and it is off the sensor for more than 10 seconds you will be charged for it whether you consume it or not. Just be aware that this also extends to the goodies on a tray that can be found on top of the dresser! Would highly recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: We stayed in room 347 which was next door to the excellent gym at the Intercontinental.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Dear 2226Mel:

Thank you so much for the 5-star review! We are delighted that you and your family had a memorable stay. We look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Washington, DC
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 9, 2013 via mobile

Esthetically, I loved the rooms. The shower was huge with a rainforest shower head. Once again, these "no bath" hotels forget the needs of small travelers.

Unlike the larger hotels in the area, there were no cabs. I usually stay at the Marriott where I can walk outside and never have to wait.

Due to the lack of cabs and less than optimal concierge/bell services, I walked 13 blocks in the heat with my luggage in order to make my train at Penn Station. Not the service I expect from any 4 -5 star hotel.

• Stayed September 2013
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank eugenialyn
Dear Eugenialyn:

Thank you for your review. We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed our rainforest shower heads, however, we are disheartened to hear that our team was unable to secure a taxi for you. Our door team strive to provide the utmost in customer service, and we are truly sorry that we fell short of our standard. We do hope that you will give us a chance to reaffirm your faith in our hotel. We look forward to being of service in the future.

Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 7, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here last year in November on a four night break with my wife,I had never been to New York before unlike my wife,The Hotel is close to Times Square and right in the area of Theatre Land,the room was massive with everything you need for your stay,The Hotel Staff are very friendly especially the lads on the door who find you a taxi to where ever you may want to go,I wanted to visit ground zero which we did and my wife wanted to shop on fifth avenue which we did,this is an amazing city,So good we are returning to the intercontinental Times Square in December this year as we just missed out on the lights being turned on at the Rockafella centre last year,I can see New York being one of our regular haunts as we love it so much.

Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Executive Offic... ., Manager at InterContinental New York Times Square, responded to this review, September 9, 2013
Dear Browny230867:

Thank you so much for being a loyal guest! We are so glad that you and your wife had a memorable time and that you were able to see some of the great sites of our city. We look forward to welcoming you back in December! There is nothing quite like New York City in the holiday season!

San Francisco, CA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 7, 2013

Just got back from a 6-night stay at the Intercontinental Times Square. We had an awesome stay. From the very first person we met at the hotel (Francisco Sanchez at the front desk who was extremely helpful and provided amazing customer service) to the house staff, we had an awesome stay (we = me, my wife, and 21-month old son).

Some of the reasons we loved the hotel include:

-AWESOME customer service. Everyone was so friendly (of course Francisco was the best example of incredible customer service, but everyone from the bellhop to the housekeepers to people who answered the phones when you dialed 0 from the hotel room) were excellent. What was really cool is that when you asked for something (e.g. towels or an extra comforter), these items were sent up asap. A lot of hotels say they'll send it up, but it only arrives 1-2 hours later. These guys were really fast. My wife can sometimes be a tough customer when it comes to hotels, but even she was impressed.

-Great location. Next to Time Square, but away from the extreme craziness of it by being on 44th and 8th. There is - literally - a subway line as soon as you set foot out of the hotel. We used this tons to get to the Upper West Side, downtown, pretty much everywhere in Manhattan. Shake Shack is next door as is Maoz (an excellent vegetarian place that we went several times). 9th avenue/hells kitchen also has some great restaurants. Location, location, location...

-Large rooms. Given we were there for 6 days, we opted to join the Ambassador Club for $200 (really good deal). We got a nice room upgrade and a voucher for a free nights stay which basically paid for itself and then some. By upgrading, we also got some nice perks including really fast Internet and chocolates every night.

-Ridiculously awesome showers: Rain shower was used plentifully by us. :) Our young son could not get enough of it. Possibly the best hotel shower I've ever experienced.

-Solid gym: For a hotel gym, the Intercontinental is really nice. There are free weights, treadmills, ellipticals and plenty of TVs (the cardio equipment has personal TVs).

There are several other reasons to love this hotel. To us, in the end, it is customer service and their attention to the details that matter that make this an awesome hotel. Thank you Francisco, hotel staff, and everyone in the hotel whose attention to detail made it a great stay for us. This is a great hotel that will tell our friends about. Cant wait to come back next year!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Dear Sneaks23:

Thank you so much for your rave review! Francisco is a star, and we will be sure to share your comments with him as well as the rest of the team! We think that we have the best team in the business, and we are thrilled that you agree. We can't wait to welcome you back!

Stevenage, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 6, 2013

This was my first ever trip to New York. From the moment I checked in, at 16.30 to the moment I checked out, I enjoyed my stay at this wonderful Hotel. When I checked in I was given a low floor (3rd) I asked if I could go higher and the receptionist said that your price that you pre paid allows you up to the 17th floor. I did asked if I can upgrade but he declined. He did say that you are on the back off the hotel, and it is away from the street noise.I asked if it had a view, he said yes.The only thing is that the room is not ready, so can you come back in about an hour. I checked in my bags with the bell boy., and went into the bar to kill an hour. When I got to the room, opened the door, and the room was quite big and roomy. I looked in the Bathroom and it was clean and spotless. Then I looked out of the window and I was level with rooftops from offices. Not much of a view, but hey I suppose you cannot have it all. At least I was happy with the room.
All the staff I came across were very friendly. The prices for drinks were a bit expensive, but I suppose its because it is a hotel, so you pay hotel prices. I ate in the bar and also ate in the restaurant, and the food was very tasty.
There was one thing I did not like, and that was when I was leaving for the Airport. I asked for a taxi to take me to La Guardia Airport. The guys out front of the hotel told me that our black cars are cheaper to take. The driver will take you for $50.00 plus tip.Normal taxi will charge you $60.00. I felt cheated a bit, as I had no choice in the matter. I suppose the bell man gets a better commission than calling for a taxi, plus he got a tip off me too. They must be raking the money in. Anyway as I said I did enjoy every minute, and would definitley come back and stay at this hotel again when ever I come back to New York.

Room Tip: Try to ask for a higher room, higher than the 17th
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Dear Nakedmel:

Thank you for the outstanding review! We are delighted to hear that we made your stay memorable. We look forward to seeing you on your next visit to New York City!

Cocoa, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 6, 2013

When we arrived at this hotel, the bell hops were courteous and very helpful. We were early for checkin so they stored our luggage and took our number to call us when our room was ready. It wasn't long before they had our room ready and they allowed us to check in early. The room was beautiful. Not real big but sufficient for the 3 of us. Beautiful view on 3 sides.
Everyone at the hotel was very helpful and provided assistance in any way they could. Definately a great place to stay in NYC.

Room Tip: Ask fdor a corner room on an upper floor
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Dear Gwade29:

Thank you for your 5-star review! We are so glad that you enjoyed our views, guestrooms, and service. We hope to welcome you back soon!