“Excellent accommodation in the heart of New York” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of InterContinental New York Times Square

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
InterContinental New York Times Square
Ranked #181 of 467 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersGold level
Montreal, Canada
“Excellent accommodation in the heart of New York”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 18, 2013

I stayed in the Intercontinental while on a family vacation in NYC beginning of August 2013. The hotel definitely made it a beautiful memory and contributed largely to enjoying the city and a lot of what it offers. Her's how the experience goes:

1- Location
It is a huge building on 40th and 8th. You cannot miss it as it is very nicely imposing big glass building just one block away from the famous times square. The main entrance of the hotel is on 40th street also called restaurant street. Needless to say, you have a huge choice an variety of cuisines from all over the world. You cannot wake up a day wondering what to eat or enjoy, everything is there. The intercontinental is also a very short distance (from one block to 4) of all major Broadway theaters, for example the Majestic theater where Phantom of the Opera is playing is just in front of the hotel and can be seen from most rooms, Lion King plays a couple of blocks away.
Another wonderful advantage of its location, is the proximity of the hop on hop off downtown and uptown tour starts. The Uptown tour of the Gray Line (red buses) starts a block to the north on 45th and 8th while the downtown tour starts on times square.(a 1 minute walk from the hotel,s main entrance)
For all those who love shopping, well this hotel is 2 blocks from 5th avenue and a short 5 minutes walk from Macy's largest store, so shopping adepts are in for a treat when they stay at the Intercontinental
And of course while the Intercon is central to all the great places around the city (Madison Square Garden, Empire State Building...) all can accessed through cabs, buses and the subway system where the hotel is just close to many of its stations serving all lines.

2- The hotel itself
It is a huge glass building that one can't miss. The nice offering of the hotel starts as soon as you step out on the main entrance, it is huge and very spacious letting you load and unload your bags in complete ease without being constantly rushed. Going into the lobby, you notice the proportionate in surface and size and just marvelously simply decorate for you to feel that you are actually stepping into an Intercon. The reception desk is just in front of you and you don't have to climb stairs to get to it and the elevators are just a couple of steps away from the reception, so no extra efforts at all to get checked in or ask questions.
The halls are very much reflective of a 5 stars city hotel, so don't expect lanterns and chandeliers or endless halls, that is not the mission of the hotel. It is definitely a genuine NYC facility and lives up to that expectations in every detail.
The hotel has many facilities and restaurants mainly the Ca Va on the lobby. Shake Shack (one of the best burger joints in NYC) is on the eastern side of the hotel just on 8th avenue

3- Rooms
Rooms are very spacious. I was in a 2 double queen room overlooking the north side of the city. The view of the NYC skyline towards central park was gorgeous throughout the day especially at night and early morning.
Rooms come with state of the art equipment that are just there to make things much easier for you. TV is a large 42 inch LCD centrally placed in the room and provides you access to a huge variety of movies. The room comes also with an HP computer with touch screen providing you access to all hotel services related to your guest experience along with various presentations on what one can do to enjoy NYC. It is also a small business center allowing the docking of personal USB drives and the printing of airline boarding passes.
As for the bathrooms, they are also wonderful, spacious enough with a relaxing showering system, it is also equipped with all beautification equipment which you find in 5 star hotels, exactly the things you need to glam up ahead a classy outing in the city

4- Service
I had also the opportunity to use the services of the employees of the hotel. The front desk officers are all great, they are good at explaining everything to you and guide you throughout the hotel without being overly talkative and always with a large smile (strangely female employees smile much more than males over there). The doormen and baggage handlers are everywhere and they will jump at your service no matter what, of course a tip is expected but based on how assisting they are, they stand out compared to some others I had to deal with in other hotels. Room service and house keeping personnel are equally great, always smiley and they would always greet you in halls even if they are passing you by and not servicing your room.
As much as interaction with employees was great I couldn't but notice two glitches in:

A- I have been to NYC more than 10 times and know the city by heart but I wanted at some point to get some assistance with Broadway tickets from a concierge (as the party I was with never visited NYC before and had some questions) but they couldn't find the concierge anywhere so we ended up asking the doormen outside and they were just great in providing the information needed. But this is fine as one does not need much help to get things done in NYC,

B- The second glitch is much worse for me. After spending 5 days at the hotel and after checking out, we went out the main entrance and stopped a yellow cab ourselves as one happened to be passing by the hotel's main entrance, (so did not need any help of the doormen). But I was surprised that one of those doormen walked towards the cab driver and started talking to him while one of his colleagues raced to load our bags in the trunk. I also couldn't help but notice that the driver handed a couple of bucks to the doorman who raced to his window (not the one who was loading the bags), when I asked the driver what was it all about, he told me he was asked to give him money as he stopped to pick us up without being signaled by the doorman. I don't think something like that should happen in front of a guest who had a great time and has a great view of the hotel. I asked the driver to pull over so I can talk to the doorman who obliged the poor driver to give him money but he just said it is not worth it, i ended up having to compensate the driver as I felt bad for him. I expect that a chain like Intercontinental looks into this as it is a very small action that the hotel wouldn't want to leave a bad impact on the ensemble of his great people

5- Prices
It is not a cheap hotel during August, I must have spend $540 per night including taxes, while I think it is with it for the level of comfort and luxury we received and of course not discounting the fact that it is a high season, there might be something cheaper around town boasting the same level of service...The Westin for example where I stayed last year in NYC for the same period is exactly in front of the Intercontinental and somewhat cheaper for a similar service (I ended up getting the internet free last year just by being courteous to the check in officer) while the Intercon personnel refused that (and it is not a cheap internet service, $12.99 for each 24 hours and it does not let you stream movies).
I don;t see why the Intercontinental Times Square charges so much for internet accesses especially to Priority Plus club members when you are located in the middle of Manhattan when most hotels are moving towards providing free WiFi or highly discounted internet accesses. It is actually cheaper to park ones own car in a parking in Manhattan than getting a 24 hours WiFi connection at the hotel. Something guests need to expect while booking there

Overall, I can give the hotel a 4 stars rating based on my varied experience in other places around the city. I recommend the hotel if you would like to spend a splendid time in NYC and enjoy all what Middtown has to offer. You will be well treated, highly pampered but expect to pay for all this, something that is not always the case in other similar hotels in NYC or other large cities in North America

Room Tip: For any hotel in the IHG family: You can always benefit by being a Priority Club member. You get fas...
2 Thank SagaLEB
Executive Offic... ., Manager at InterContinental New York Times Square, responded to this review, August 20, 2013
Dear SagaLEB:

Thank you for your thorough review! We are thrilled to hear that you enjoyed our location and the service from our Front Office, Bell and Doormen, and In Room Dining staffs. We do apologize that the concierge was not available when you were seeking assistance. We are disheartened to hear of your taxi situation. We would like to offer a sincere apology to you. This behavior is unacceptable and we will address this with our team. We do hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back in the future.

Executive Office

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,219)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 18, 2013

I booked this hotel through Hotwire. Got excellent rate - 25% cheaper than retail price.
I knew I wont get best view room at that price. On my arrival I requested for upgrade and Manager gave me really good view room ( ask for room above 26+ floor for good view) + free wifi+ free daily water bottles+ free drinks for nominal extra charge.

Overall staff is excellent, service is great, location is just two blocks from times square, near to subway station.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
Executive Offic... ., Manager at InterContinental New York Times Square, responded to this review, August 19, 2013
Dear Alal A:

Thank you for your great review! We are so glad we were able to make your stay a memorable one. We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 18, 2013

I stayed here during a business trip and found the hotel to be awesome. The staff was really friendly and the rooms looked brand new. For midtown, the room was a decent size, very clean and quiet. It's just a few blocks from Times Square and a ton of Broadway shows, and there are many restaurants in the area. If you want to be in the middle of everything, you can't go wrong staying here.

Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Dear Bhaber:

Thank you for your rave review! We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed our location, cleanliness, and the friendliness of our team. We eagerly await your next stay with us!

3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 17, 2013

Stayed here with the family with two kids. Reception staff were not very friendly. Asked for a good room on check in. We were given a room on the small block situated veeery far far away at the end of the long corridor. Kids complained about the distance to the elevator.
On entering the room, the bathroom had a damp smell. The sink drain was blocked. Complained to reception who got the drain unblocked but the bathroom damp smell lingered on.
The reception said there were no other rooms to move us to, so we had to endure the smell the whole week!
The room was ok size. There was no view. There was also no free wifi...terrible for an expensive hotel.
The HD channels on the TV were very pixelated and froze all the time..lucky there was no time to watch tv.
The location was decent. Near theaters and close enough to Times Square. Subway entrance was just outside the hotel but there was a long underground walk to the trains.
Concierge was friendly and helpful.
BIG problem with the bell staff on checkout. They refused to get a yellow cab to the airport but insisted we take a private black cab that was very expensive. I had to flag down a yellow cab myself and they still went on about taking the private taxi. Paid almost half the price with the yellow cab. I think the bell staff are getting a kickback from the black taxis.

Room Tip: Stay in the taller block in a higher floor for a better view. Don't ask the bellman to get u a...
Dear Imraan J:

Thank you for your candid review. While we are pleased to hear that you enjoyed our location and our concierge, we do apologize for the inconveniences that you encountered during your stay. We appreciate you bringing this to our attention, as it affords us the opportunity to raise our service standards to the next level. We do hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back in the future and reaffirm your faith in our hotel. Please reach out to us directly at executiveoffice@icnyts.com the next time your travels bring you to New York City, as we will ensure a flawless experience.

New York City, New York
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 16, 2013

This is honestly the worst 5 star hotel I've ever visited. A hotel with over 30 floors only got one restaurant? seriously? We often have to wait in order to be seated due to the limited seats. Service is alright but the choice of the morning buffet is really small. The restaurant do not have enough waiters. There are plenty of tables available but the waiters were just too busy cleaning them up. What I feel most upset about was the service of the front desk. I had a hard time trying to talk to the receptionists. My card went wrong and a security actually had to accompany us into the room and checked our passports before letting us have another key. Don't they have a better way or something? What's good is its location. Overall, the service/attitude of the waiters and valet service was completely fine but the hotel certainly has to work on its managing issues.

1 Thank Koll P
Executive Offic... ., Manager at InterContinental New York Times Square, responded to this review, August 21, 2013
Dear Koll P:

Thank you for your feedback. We apologize that your recent stay did not live up to your standards. We are sorry for any inconvenience, however, security is of the utmost importance. We ask for identification when making a new guestroom key to ensure the safety and security of our guests. We do hope that you will give us another chance to reaffirm your faith in our hotel.

Lanzarote, Spain
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 15, 2013

Staff excellent, accommodation great, get a high room for great views of the Hudson, hotel /bar a bit expensive but welcoming, close to Times Sq but far enough away to not hear it ! Plenty of bars / restaurants close & station not far.

Room Tip: Higher floors better view
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear LondonLion13:

Thank you for the great review! We greatly appreciate your kind words regarding our staff. We will be sure to share your comments with our team! We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 13, 2013

We stayed here for our first Valentine's trip together. The InterContinental is a beautiful hotel. It's centrally located so you're within walking distance or train station distance of anything you want to do. The front desk staff, except for one person, was extremely accommodating and so polite. It was a very easy check-in and check-out. The beds are extremely comfortable and the walls keep out the noise relatively well. I loved the sliding door on the bathroom and the bathroom in general. It was clean, water pressure and temperature were perfect and great counter top space. My only issue with this hotel is the mini bar and desk products station. If you lift or anything falls out they automatically add it to your bill. They need to have more signage for this. There is no signage on the food products on the desk and the one on the fridge is very small. We called down and the girl at the front desk (the only problem) told us that we had to pay for it and drink it even if we hadn't opened it and called right down as soon as it was out of the fridge. It of course was the most expensive thing in the refrigerator (a mini bottle of wine $21). When we checked out the gentleman at the desk told us she could have just removed it but at that point it was too late. Other than that I enjoyed my stay here. Wish the gym had a little more equipment or at least a little more modernized but it really is a great place to stay, just watch out for that mini bar.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Neesh33
Executive Offic... ., Manager at InterContinental New York Times Square, responded to this review, August 14, 2013
Dear Neesh33:

Thank you for your great review! We are delighted that you chose to spend a romantic Valentine's Day here at the InterContinental New York Times Square. We do apologize for any misunderstanding regarding the minibar. We thank you for your feedback, and hope to welcome you back soon!