“Excellent hotel”

GreenLeadersGold level
Dublin, Ireland
“Excellent hotel”
Reviewed November 13, 2012

The hotel really exceeded my expectations. From entering the lobby I knew that the hotel would be nice, the decor is lovely throughout. The rooms were gorgeous, clean, spacious, modern,everything you need. The highlight was probably the food,breakfasts were amazing and the evening menu is extensive and seasonal. Staff were helpful and professional at all time. nWill definitely return again

Room Tip: high floor will have the best views
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank suzannesher
Steve_Juscen, Manager at InterContinental New York Times Square, responded to this review, November 15, 2012
Dear Suzannesher:

Thank you for the rave review! I am thrilled to hear that you enjoyed our guestrooms, décor, and our restaurant, the Ca Va Brasserie. I agree that Chef Matt Corbett has curated an incredible menu. We look forward to your next stay.

Hotel Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,270)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
UK
Reviewed November 13, 2012

Very comfortable, modern rooms but it was two small negatives that were more memorable and I'll reconsider before staying here again. To be charged separately for accessing my emails via the PC and my mobile (total $29/day) left me feeling price gouged. Then upon checking out I noticed a room service charge for $9.80 and when queried I was told that by simply lifting up a small bottle of water on the desk (complimentary in many hotels) a pressure pad automatically charged it as consumed (which it was wasn't). This was a presumption too far and these two incidences made me feel that I was a commodity to be exploited - certainly not a valued guest.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank Thomas58
Dear Thomas58:

Thank you so much for choosing the InterContinental New York Times Square for your recent stay. I apologize that you did not feel valued as a guest. That is certainly not our intention. While we do find it necessary to charge a fee to provide the superior quality our guests expect, I am sorry if this information was not conveyed to you previously. The in-room minibar should have been clearly marked, and I thank you for bringing this to our attention. You may be interested in our InterContinental Ambassador program, which rewards our loyal guests with many perks including early check-in and late check-out, room upgrades, and complimentary bottled water. I welcome you to contact me directly the next time you are traveling to New York so that I can ensure your next stay is extraordinary.

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed November 12, 2012

We checked out so many hotels online before deciding on this one - as it was our honeymoon, we wanted excellence, and we weren't disappointed.

We were given early check-in - great. The room was however extremely noisy (after I had the in-room PC turned off, then the noisy heating, a third drone remained which appeared to be linked to water pressure). I was not happy, but the final straw came upon turning duvet back and finding stains - disgusting.

My husband rang the servicedesk and was told we could be moved to another room, but a floor down (not great, as we had been promised a high floor).

Still, the second room was immaculate, with a beautiful bathroom, superior (if muted) view and a much better layout than the previous room, so we were very happy.

Throughout the week, we experienced courteous, unintrusive service and the room and hotel were a pleasure to return to every time. Excellent housekeeping and a very helpful bellboy on the final day when we were trying to squeeze last-minute purchases into our cases (he offered great tips on hand luggage and even weighed our cases to keep us within limit).

Overall, I would have to recommend the Intercontinental Times Sq: our initial concerns were dealt with swiftly and we were ideally located for much of Manhattan. The lounge area is also a lovely place to spend your last hour or so ahead of leaving: warm, inviting and comfortable.

Room Tip: Loved the corner room - having views on two sides feels luxurious and doubles your chance of getting...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
New York
Reviewed November 11, 2012 via mobile

Loved this hotel. Room was spacious , clean and comfortable. Definitely would stay there again. Friendly staff and great location. The view from our 33 floor was fabulous, at night the city lights were a beautiful touch to a wonderful stay..

Stayed November 2012
1 Thank JustJoe6953
Steve_Juscen, Manager at InterContinental New York Times Square, responded to this review, November 12, 2012
Dear JustJoe6953:

Thank you so much for the rave review! My entire team and I thank you for your kind words. We look forward to welcoming you back on your next stay with us.

Reviewed November 10, 2012

Got upgraded to top floor because of Ambassador status. Room had very comfortable beds, great shower and a good view. Great location overall. The only bad thing was that I was charged $19 for an "intimacy kit" that they said I used, which wasn't the case. Talked to their accounting department, and they said they couldn't do anything. In hindsight, I wish I would have actually taken it or have them ship me that because I got charged for something I didn't use.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Dear NCState81:

Thank you for being an InterContinental Ambassador and for posting about your recent stay! We are delighted that you enjoyed our guestroom, location, and our rainforest showers. I do apologize if you were charged in error. I welcome you to contact me so that we can investigate further. We look forward to your return at the InterContinental New York Times Square.

Montreal
Reviewed November 9, 2012 via mobile

Enjoyed our stay. Given NYC prices this was very reasonable and new. We had a super quiet room at the back of the hotel. Which was perfect. Willing distance from pretty much everything.

Only downfall. The concierge recommended a very very poor restaurant La Silluette. Omg really sucked. See other reviews and stay away from this one.

• Stayed November 2012
Dear petertherock1971:

Thank you so much for the glowing review! I do apologize that your dining experience outside the hotel was not as enjoyable as your stay with us. I, along with our concierge team, thank you for the feedback. I welcome you to check out our onsite restaurant, Ca Va Brasserie, the next time you stay with us. Not only is the location great , our Chef creates tantalizing seasonal menus that are popular among hotel guests and locals alike. We look forward to welcoming you back to the InterContinental New York Times Square.

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed November 6, 2012

I have read numerous times on this website how travellers believe they are treated with less respect because they have used an agency to book a room rather than dealing directly with the hotel. Having never experienced it, I'd read these reviews with some doubt, but when staying at the Intercontinental Times Square arriving 28 September '12, we encountered this first-hand ourselves. Not pleasant!

The room was meant to be ready at 3pm. We arrived at 6pm. The manager explained that due to the previous guest's late checkout, the room was not ready. I suggested we come back in half an hour, which he scoffed at & stated that a room takes at least an hour to clean. There was no apology, or offer of complimentary drinks at the bar, or anything.

We returned at 7:30, where the room was still not quite ready, and we were left lingering in the lobby for another half an hour, finally arriving in our room just after 8pm.

I went straight to the bar fridge for a relieving drink to find that 4 of the drinks had not been replaced from the previous guests. I rang front desk, so as to ensure these would not be billed to our account, but then felt paranoid about consuming anything fron the fridge in case what we had would simply be added to the missing products.

We may have used booking.com, but we still paid nearly $400 per night for this 'corner' room; thus we feel this level of service was just not good enough.

Naturally, the 'corner' we did receive faced the duller side of the city, but there were still good views to be had & we liked the room & bathroom. This, in addition to the helpful travel advice offered by the concierge downstairs during our 3 night stay, saved the review from the ignominious 1-star insult.

Room Tip: Corner rooms are good but try to get one facing east
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
4 Thank Neil M
Steve_Juscen, Manager at InterContinental New York Times Square, responded to this review, November 8, 2012
Dear Neil M:

Thank you for your posting. I am disheartened to hear of your recent stay, as this is certainly not the experience we want our guests to have. We value all of our guests, regardless of the booking method they choose. The service you received was inexcusable, and I am thankful that you brought this to our attention, so that we may use this as a training tool. I would like to offer a sincere apology that your stay did not live up to your expectations. I do hope that you will give us a chance to create a much better stay for you in the future. I welcome you to contact me directly the next time that you are traveling to New York City, so that I can personally ensure that your stay is flawless.