“Only for the rich and foolish.”

InterContinental New York Times Square
Ranked #179 of 469 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed October 9, 2012

My wife adn I stayed for four nights in this plastic hotel (not on Times Square but a block away) . This hotel is designed entirely to extract as much money it can - by any means possible from their unfortunate guests. The Lobby has nowhere to sit down - no chairs or anything, The bar doubles as a lounge and restaurant and acturally has a few seats. The restaurant (run by Todd English) serves very over priced food with nothing I or my wife wanted to eat. (but their a mass of good italian diners etc etc close to the hotel). Breakfast is charged by the slice of toast ,muffin or cup of coffee so you end up paying $50 for this. They tried to charge us for the free water in the room - and do not even think of printing anything out in the Business Center - $2 a page.
The hotel has a deal with the Cruise Liners that dock on the Hudson River so it is important that they give as little as they can and charge as much as possible. This hotel does not warrent its 4 Star rating and should not be included in the normally excellent Intercontinental product/brand.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Steve_Juscen, Manager at InterContinental New York Times Square, responded to this reviewResponded October 10, 2012

Dear 1943John1943:

Thank you for your honest feedback. I would like to apologize that you felt the value to dollar ratio was unsatisfactory. We know our guests have many choices for lodging and hope you will give us another chance to provide the exceptional service that InterContinental Hotel Group is known for.

Reviewed October 8, 2012

Stayed for a quick one-nighter at this hotel near Times Square. Expensive, but won't disappoint. Great lounge and breakfast area off the lobby ... good for informal meetings. Short walk to anywhere you need to go.

Room Tip: In NYC, the higher floor, the better you will sleep.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank RootBeerFloat
Steve_Juscen, Manager at InterContinental New York Times Square, responded to this reviewResponded October 9, 2012

Dear RootBeerFloat:

Thank you for your rave review! We agree that Ca Va, our onsite restaurant, has one of the best breakfasts in New York City. Be sure to check out our Eggs Benedict- they are phenomenal! We hope to welcome you back soon.

Reviewed October 7, 2012

My husband and I lived in NYC for about seven years, so coming back and staying in a hotel was a very different experience for us. My husband was offered a free night through his priority club membership and we decided on this hotel based on the good reviews. We were a little skeptical about staying do close to Times Square, especially 8th ave fairy close to the peep shows/adult stores. But once we turned on to 44th, which was fairly quiet, we liked the location. Not to mention, the legendary Shake Shack is right on the corner as is the subway. The room was nice and clean for the most part; there were a few questionable spots on the throw pillows. The bathroom was big and wonderful! The location would be perfect for anyone's first time in the city or anyone looking for a super convenient location. I would definitely stay recommend this hotel to friends.

• Stayed: September 2012

Dear LILABBY1:

Welcome back to Manhattan! We are thrilled that you chose the InterContinental New York Times Square for your return visit to the city. Thank you for the great review. The Shake Shack is fantastic- be sure to check out their custards on your next visit! Please accept our apologies if we overlooked any items in your guestroom, as this is not indicative of our service level. We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed October 6, 2012

Excellent location if you want to be close to Times Square and all the action. The rooms are relatively compact but it's New York so what would you expect. In saying that the decor of the rooms, and the hotel generally, is very modern and luxurious.

Nothing was too much trouble for the staff - they were helpful, welcoming and friendly. The restaurant had good quality meals that weren't exorbitantly priced.

We enjoyed our stay so much - we are returning again in Feb.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank Kelly K

Dear Kelly K:

Thank you so much for your great review! We are delighted that you enjoyed your recent stay with us. We look forward to your return in February.

Reviewed October 6, 2012 via mobile

The hotel is located off the times square on 44th street. When you enter the lobby the reception is hiding behind a big pole. You dont even know where the reception is because of the pillar. It took me time to check in although my late arrival in night. However, the rooms were good except for the ugly terrible view, so I decided to close the curtains as they are more relaxing then the view. The rooms had new furniture. The wifi was expensive almost USD15 for 24hrs. They did not have a 24hr laundary service, which i expected from a 5 star hotel. Taxis are easily available down at the entrance. Overall the price was good for what you get.

• Stayed: October 2012
1  Thank Salah_Sharaf

Dear Salah S:

Thank you for taking time to post about your recent stay. I am glad to hear that you enjoyed the guestroom. While we do charge a nominal fee for wireless internet service, I trust that you found the connection to be superior. I apologize if there was not a greeter to direct you to the reception desk, as is our norm. I do hope that you will return to the InterContinental New York Times Square on your next visit to Manhattan. If so, I welcome you to contact our onsite reservations staff at icnytsres@ihg.com so that we can ensure your stay is exceptional.

Reviewed October 6, 2012

I booked one of the bedrooms with glass walls looking out on two different horizons. Facing me when I entered the room, there were about ten different skyscrapers visible, so close that you felt like you were living in the same environment as the denizens of those rooftop eyries. Not unlike being in a canopy above a rain forest (albeit in concrete as opposed to leafy surroundings). To my right, the Hudson River was visible in the distance, with one or two small cruise ships tying up at the dock. The view of New York from the upper rooms of the Intercontinental is truly spellbinding.

When I arrived in New York in mid-August 2012, the weather was very hot. So it was a pleasure to enter my room in the Intercontinental and be embraced by the soothing coolness of the air-conditioning. The hotel also provides instant internet access via an in room computer (which I had to pay for; but I found this facility very useful for my needs since I did not have a laptop with me). In line with the other hotels in this group, the bed is a masterpiece of comfortable design. I was only staying in New York for one night and it was great to get a relaxing night's sleep before flying to San Francisco the following morning. I also ordered a full breakfast via room service which was of good quality and kept me fueled until I reached San Francisco later that day.

The staff in the hotel are of a high calibre. I had originally intended to stay in the Intercontinental for four nights, but I had to abbreviate my stay to a single night due to difficulties in the timing of the grant of my U.S. J-1 visa before my trip to the States. The executive staff were very understanding of my difficulties in this regard and accommodating to me in allowing me to reduce the duration of my booking and in refunding certain monies to my Visa credit card account.

So, in conclusion, yes this hotel is expensive. But, all in all, worth the expenditure.

Room Tip: Choose the sky-view rooms if at all possible.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo
Steve_Juscen, Manager at InterContinental New York Times Square, responded to this reviewResponded October 8, 2012

Dear Insightful:

Thank you for your beautiful musings on your recent stay! It is thrilling to hear that you had a chance to experience all the hotel has to offer: from the in-room computer, to the gorgeous views of the city, to our wonderful breakfast menu. We do hope that you will get to stay a bit longer on your next visit.

Reviewed October 6, 2012

We enjoyed our stay here for 3 nights at the end of a transatlantic cruise. It is right in the heart of things and easy to walk to all the well known spots. Check in was efficient and helpful. We arrived early @ 10 am and were offered a room right away albeit on a low floor - we had the choice of waiting for a higher one with a better view after 3, but elected to get settled in straight away. So we have no complaints about the somewhat dark nature of the room. The bed was extremely comfortable and shower great. Coffee machine a bit awkward to use. We had lunch a couple of times at the bar of the restaurant and the lady bartender was helpful and friendly. Food excellent - elegant and sophisticated. Bellboys and concierge excellent at helping us with a problem with our pick up car to airport. (we had to wait in the elegant lobby for quite a while when it was very busy and I did suggest that they needed a few more chairs in the area)

Our only complaint is the lack of free wi-fi which these days is ridiculous. I note previous managerial comment about investment in extra routers but frankly that does not wash. A high quality hotel like this lets itself done with such parsimony.

Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple

Dear Chief Skylarker:

Thank you for your review! It is great to hear that you were able to enjoy all of our wonderful services, from our Concierge, to the delectable offerings at our onsite restaurant, Ca Va. I thank you for your candid feedback regarding wifi. I will pass your comments along at our next hotel quality meeting. We look forward to welcoming you back to the InterContinental New York Times Square.