“Hercule Poirot meets Coco Chanel”

The Chatwal, A Luxury Collection Hotel, New York
Ranked #38 of 469 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed December 6, 2010

We stayed at the hotel the first week of November and we had our most fabulous stay in the city. The hotel is a true gem. We’ve been to the Peninsula, Plaza and New York Palace (Tower) but we were looking for a hotel that has everything. And let me tell you, this hotel has it all: great service, fabulous rooms, an outstanding spa and an excellent restaurant. We were welcomed like royalty, from the doormen, the concierge, housekeeping and the manager, they were all amazing. It’s like Hercule Poirot moved in and gave his blessing.
Now let me take you through our visit. It all started at check-in: We booked a Theatre Room but we were upgraded to a Junior Suite. They took their time to explain everything there is to know about the hotel and gave us a tour from the room. The room looked absolutely perfect. We had 3 TV’s, a truly deluxe closet, an amazing bed and a very relaxing chair. What can I say about the bathroom!!! Unbelievable. The walls are covered with mirrors, which is very handy. The TV is a very nice touch, you can watch your favorite show when you’re taking a shower (very big rain shower). The Asprey products are some of the best I ever tried, so so soft. And the toilet, well try it yourself.
Every time we stepped out of the room, a softening aroma welcomed us. It’s the hotel scent. This is what makes the hotel so special. They put a lot of effort in every detail, it’s all about the little details.
I used the Spa and they knew what they were doing. I felt as if my skin was glowing afterwards. Take your time if you are using the spa to enjoy the pool and your private steam shower.
We also dined several times at the Lambs Club (Breakfast, lunch and dinner). Oh I loved watching the Chanel suited women and the well dressed men with big sunglasses. The food and service were very very good and the cocktails are excellent. But I’m missing the finishing touch. I cannot put my finger on it, but I’m missing something. F.e. The waiters are wearing white cotton jackets. It doesn’t look chique. We could also rely on the concierge. We needed lunch reservations in an unfamiliar neighborhood (we don’t know any good restaurants in the Time Square area). He made reservations at DB Bistro Modern (very close to the Chatwal) and we had an excellent lunch in a great atmosphere.

Tip: If you want a very quiet room, don’t take a street side room. We had a street room but we love the sounding of the city. It’s not that there was a constant noise, but you could hear the honking and the sirens.

So what more can I say, we already booked our next visit because we loved it so much. Thank you Lance, Darko, Oscar and Mr. Petkovic.

1  Thank GeGefromBelgium

Reviewed November 26, 2010

I normally stay in lower Manhattan but my business was in midtown this trip. Coming back from the theatre on my last trip, my husband and I had heard about the Chatwal and stopped in to check it out. A member of the staff proceeded to take us on a half hour tour of this beautiful hotel and we knew we would check it out on our next trip. Because we were putting on an event, I needed some help before I got to NY and the concierge staff couldn't have been more accommodating. They found the closest places to get food and wine for my off sight reception and arranged for it to be brought there by them at a nominal fee. They pressed my clothes for no charge when I arrived. Because their upstairs bar was closed for a private event, I had to meet a business colleague at the lobby bar and the General Manager of the hotel comped our drinks for the inconvenience. And no, I'm no VIP - this was par for the course for them. And the rooms! Pristine, quiet, cozy and state of the art, we loved our room. The shower was big enough to hold 8 people and the toilets are so high tech, they do practically everything but bring you room service. The staff goes out of their way to know your name from day one and makes you feel like a regular in no time. I travel pretty extensively and it is one of the first times I have ever felt that a hotel met both my service and accommodation needs equally and perfectly. I HIGHLY recommend this hotel - especially if you are in town for a theatre trip. It's a perfect location. And style-wise, it is an Art Deco jewel paying mindful historic detail to its original architect, famed Stanford White. This will definitely be my go-to hotel anytime I'm in the city.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank wekeplayer
Reviewed November 22, 2010

As others have said, this hotel is elegant, has great service, and is in a fabulous location. My problem after spending 3 nights there was that I could not get reliable internet access in our room, which I needed to complete some business. Despite efforts including use of an ethernet cable instead of the wireless (which was useless), the engineer said others had similar problems bu there was nothing they could do until the following Monday (it was Friday when I complained). Add to that that the power outlets in the room amounted to only two, which could be found inside a desk (and only one could be used at a time with most items), and a few other issues, and I can not rate this hotel with other 5 stars. There should be simple fixes to these things but apparently management doesn't care. Bottom line is, I would spend my money elsewhere until all these bugs are worked out (e.g. a power outlet in the drawer would have sufficed, and they should fire their internet provider).

1  Thank seinfeld10
Reviewed November 21, 2010

My wife and I decided to spend the weekend in the city... We needed to stay at a Leading Hotel to get a free night so we just stumbled upon this one... This hotel exceeded my expectations. The location is excellent - in the center of Times Square. It is perfect for people who travel to NYC to see a Broadway show or want to do some shopping. The service was fantastic in every aspect. The room service is great! Breakfast is amazing, the room service is the same food that is served in the Lambs Club so the food is gourmet. If you are a smoker its great because they offer rooms with a private terrace. The decor of the room is old style New York with a modern twist. Its a perfect mix. The bathroom had a heated toilet seat and a huge shower with both hand and rain shower heads. There was also a t.v. inside the mirror between his and her sinks. The only minor inconvenience we had was the fact that they do not offer on-demand movie service... most other leading hotels do, its not a big deal though. We wish we would have had the chance to use the spa facilities.. next time we definitely will.

Bottom Line, if you are in NY stay here!

Reviewed November 13, 2010

If the Chatwal falls within your price range, it is a mistake not to choose this hotel during your stay in New York. Coming from someone who stays in hotels around the world on a monthly basis, this property is exceptional.The Leading Hotels of the World hit a home run with this one. At the very least, add a drink in the bar to your itinerary while in the city.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed November 5, 2010

When coming upon the gold gilded gates and well appointed door man of the Chatwal New York you are instantly transported back in time to when New York City was shique and full of class and people still donned their best furs to the theater.
The lobby is minimal and inviting and made me feel like a 1950's starlette! The staff greets you and immediately you are treated as VIP. The hallways are private and secluded with old-time rotary house phones by each elevator. Something rarely found in a Mid Town Manhattan hotel....a Spa, a Gym, Relaxation Pools!
Despite the throwback attire and decor of the main areas, your room is technologically from the future! There's a television in the bathroom mirror, the shower is completely customizable, and the toilet comes with a remote control (that's all I'm saying). The mini bar is sticked full with treats and cocktail mixers of the favorite kind and every room has a view.
For breakfast you must try the homemade yogurt with berries and homemade granola!
Whenever seeing a Broadway Show, or visiting New York to see all the "usual sights" you MUST treat yourself to this sanctuary among the concrete jungle.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Gina P
Reviewed November 5, 2010

I stayed at The Chatwal with my husband for a relaxing evening and to add a little glamour to our lives. It was a perfect evening filled with elegance and romance. The design work has the very classic 20s-30s era feeling with a modern edge that I adore. You could almost picture silent film star, Louise Brooks meandering about the halls with her famous bob whilst sipping champagne at The Lambs Club. The masculinity of the rooms is so strong and daring but very warm and inviting at the same time. The modern amenities in the bathroom are beyond impressive and I was particularly taken by the television that is completely hidden in the bathroom mirror. I recommend this trip to anyone, whether for business or pleasure. It is a beautiful and inviting treasure in New York City that you won’t want to miss!

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple