“Still a favorite in New York”

The Chatwal, A Luxury Collection Hotel, New York
Ranked #37 of 471 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed May 12, 2014 via mobile

It had been a little over a year since our last stay at The Chatwal and we wondered if it would be as excellent as our last stay. I am happy to report that it was even better. We had a delay getting in to our room (although it wasn't check-in time) but we were given the option of waiting for an upgrade or taking a standard room that was ready. We opted to wait and walked to Bryant Park (2 blocks from the hotel) for some people watching. Our upgrade to a King Deluxe room was well worth the wait. The room was spacious with a walk in closet, 2 floor to ceiling windows, a sofa and reading chair. The Frette linens are top of the line as are the Asprey products. But more importantly, the staff is warm and welcoming and helpful. The waiters, bar tenders, front desk personnel, butlers... everyone! The hotel is centrally located and it is an easy walk to Rockefeller Center and to Broadway, Fifth Avenue, etc. It is small, impeccably clean and well maintained. We can't imagine staying anywhere else on our visits to New York. We look forward to our next visit with pleasure.

Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
Axel_Fischer, Hotel Manager at The Chatwal, A Luxury Collection Hotel, New York, responded to this reviewResponded May 16, 2014

Dear AtlantaSuzie - Thank you so much for taking the time and sharing yet another great experience here at The Chatwal. I appreciate that we were able to talk personally after your review. Above anything it is our staff that defines our service culture - and I could not be prouder that we made you feel so welcome. It was a pleasure having you. With that said - we look forward to a visit of yours maybe next year! With best regards - Axel

Write a ReviewReviews (1,206)

Reviewed May 7, 2014

Some of the familiar faces have changed at the Chatwal but the level of and commitment to Service have remained the same. From Catalina at the front desk to Pierre and Juan at the Concierge stand to Mumfree and Brandon our butlers the people cannot be more welcoming.
I love the decor here - it's so deco-modern. The rooms have everything you need, bed is fantastic and some grooms have a terrace. The particular one we had had a large terrace overlooking 44th. It was a bit too cold to fully enjoy but with better weather room service can be taken there or one could host a small get tighter before or after dinner or a show. The only negative of this particular room (the suites all have 2 bathrooms) is that there is only 1 sink in the bathroom.
Speaking of room service we only had breakfast but the food is always excellent.
The workout room is small but any workout app that can give you a routine with dumbbells a bench and treadmill will help you through it. There is an excellent Elizabeth Arden Re Door Spa and I always get a manicure-pedicure when here.

Room Tip: IT's Times Square location is a blessing and a curse. The location is great except for getting h...
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
Axel_Fischer, Hotel Manager at The Chatwal, A Luxury Collection Hotel, New York, responded to this reviewResponded May 8, 2014

Dear Kenneth P - As one of the newer, and hopefully soon familiar faces, I am thrilled to read your review. Thank you so much for the shout out of several of our passionate team members! We look forward to having you back and noted your request for double sinks (features in the vast majority of our rooms). With best regards - AXEL

Reviewed May 6, 2014

This is my first stay at the Chatwal and i cannot say enough about what a wonderful stay we had. Everyone from the front desk to the maid was excellent. I have tried many hotels in manhattan, but the chattel by far is superior. The amenities are excellent and customer service is wonderful. i look forward to coming back again. This is truly a first class hotel .

Room Tip: Any room at the Chatwal is excellent!!!!!
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank DrJackie2014

Dear Dr. Jackie - Thank you for your wonderful review. We are very much aware of the many hotel options you and your fellow travelers have in NYC - and earning your loyalty means everything to us. We look forward to welcoming you back! With best regards - AXEL

Reviewed May 6, 2014

The chatwal is one of the premium hotel chains in SPG. I was kept waiting for a long time while in line. That said, the room was excellent with great amenities and built in closets. This is not your standard hotel room. The bar was also very interesting with live jazz musicians. If you want a smaller hotel in the SPG chain near broadway, and don't mind paying more, this is the place for you.

Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank texan123Austin

Dear Texan12Austin - we appreciate your feedback and that you found such nice words despite the unusual wait. We generally excel at being able to look after our guest in a efficient, but most importantly personable way. Please accept my apologies that the check-in took a little longer than usual. We hope to see you back one day. With best regards - Axel

Reviewed May 1, 2014

Staff were friendly, room was clean and check-in was quick ... good enough for a Sheraton but the Chatwal is a luxury hotel twice the rate of the Sheraton nearby. Unfortunately, it has failed to live up to the luxury brand. Every room in the hotel is supposed to have a butler service but my butler never showed up to introduce him/her self. Not that I needed one but my understanding of the butler service offered by some of the higher end Starwood hotels is the personal touch which Chatwal did not deliver. Swimming pool was out of service and front desk had to clue when it will be back in service. I had to go down to the gym to check it out myself.

Also, I booked a room with queen sized bed but received a room with two double sized bed. I did not go back to check-in to argue as it was late but that's in my view not acceptable for a luxury hotel at $500 a night.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business
3  Thank Paul L
Axel_Fischer, Hotel Manager at The Chatwal, A Luxury Collection Hotel, New York, responded to this reviewResponded May 5, 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your kind words about our friendly staff and our housekeeping team's performance.

I am of course disappointed to find that despite your good impression we still did not meet your expectations. There is no excuse for assigning the wrong bed type. While the room was in fact an upgraded accommodation, as a frequent Starwood guest we had your request for a queen or king bed on file – and without a question it should have been honored. Regarding our butler service – it is explicitly available to all our guests and we make every effort to introduce the butler services in person. It appears that at your late arrival time your butler was unavailable. We should have made clear at this time that any services – such as unpacking and complimentary pressing and shoe shine are available 24/7.

I am glad you contacted me after your review and I look forward to meeting you in person to discuss your stay further. In the meantime I hope we will have an opportunity to redeem ourselves.

With best regards

Axel

Reviewed April 29, 2014

A real Art Deco gem of a hotel in New York. The rooms are fantastic and very quiet even though the hotel is next to Times Square. We stayed in a terraced suite and it was truly fantastic. They have really thought of everything in the room from Asprey toiletries to a power adaptor.

All the staff were very helpful and made a point of talking to you. A big thank you to Elina, Brandon and the reception team.

I will be rebooking, it's the only hotel for me in New York.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Barbara_H11
Axel_Fischer, Hotel Manager at The Chatwal, A Luxury Collection Hotel, New York, responded to this reviewResponded May 6, 2014

Dear Barabara_H11 - Thank you for your kind words. We look forward to welcoming you back. With best regards - Axel

Reviewed April 23, 2014

I had high hopes for this place as it comes with a butler service. That's why I chose it for a special occasion - my bachelorette party. A total of six of us flew in from San Francisco.

However, things took a nose dive as soon as we arrived. I got there first, handed over gifts to the front desk staff, and asked that they give one each to my girlfriends upon check-in, as a "welcome to my bachelorette party" favor.

They did that alright - but, they failed to mention that the gift came from ME. So my friends all thought it was a complimentary gift from the hotel itself...and I had to explain. So yes, frustration, from the very first moment.

And it got worse from there. As the rooms weren't ready for check in, they had to hold our luggage as we went shopping for the day. When we returned in the late afternoon, they had placed the suitcases in our suites, but managed to LOSE ONE OF THE GIFTS already. They made an effort to locate it but never succeeded. Two days later, after I checked out, one of the hotel managers did email me to follow up and offer to buy a replacement gift - but she NEVER DID until I reminded her again a week later, even though I was away in Europe. Seriously, I despise having to babysit when *I'm* the one paying for a service.

Now let's talk about the "butler" service. Let's just say among other things, our butlers told us they couldn't get us cupcakes even though later on we discovered there's a Magnolia's Cupcakes literally two blocks away from the hotel. Simply put, I don't understand how their butler service was any better than a typical hotel concierge...in fact, it seemed worse.

In all fairness, they did do a few things right as well, such as 1. steaming my evening gown and 2. working out a kink with the spa downstairs (which, by the way, you should skip all together. It didn't feel "lux" at ALL). But then again, at the prices I paid, I EXPECTED excellent, professional service - and what we received was anything but.

I really don't mind places charging $$$$ as long as the service can match it, but the Chatwal utterly failed at that. It felt like I paid for good champagne but got beer instead. A word to the management team - train your staff! Or pay top dollars to get the professionals who already know what they're doing. As you know, it's much easier to get a repeat customer than win a new one, so it's in your interest to make every stay pleasant.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with friends
3  Thank SFOO7
Axel_Fischer, Hotel Manager at The Chatwal, A Luxury Collection Hotel, New York, responded to this reviewResponded April 25, 2014

Dear Miss Kristen,

We extend our sincere apologies for your experience here at The Chatwal. You had been in touch with senior management throughout your stay and expressed gratitude for our follow up.

We were glad to have at least one of your rooms ready for early check-in and of course the additional rooms were available at regular check-in time.

Your thoughtful gifts to your friends were passed on as requested upon check-in, and I apologize that we did not verify with you what specific verbiage to use, given that it the gifts did not contain a card from you. Unfortunately it appears that we were short one of the gifts and must have lost it. We are embarrassed about this incident and are reviewing our procedures to ensure this does not occur again. As you mentioned we offered to compensate you and replaced and express delivered the item to your home.

Lastly it was disappointing that our butlers failed to provide you with the personalized service that they generally so successfully and gracefully provide. I will surely look into while your simple requests for Cup Cakes was not fulfilled, while other services were swiftly expedited.

Clearly your stay did not meet yours and our own high expectations. Your review on TripAdvisor as well as on other platforms helps us to better ourselves and we thank you for your time.

Please feel free to contact me directly if I can be of any further assistance.

With best regards