WINNER WONDERLAND

Review of The Chatwal, A Luxury Collection Hotel, New York

The Chatwal, A Luxury Collection Hotel, New York
Ranked #40 of 477 Hotels in New York City
London, United Kingdom
“A wonderful hotel in NYC!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 29, 2014

A real Art Deco gem of a hotel in New York. The rooms are fantastic and very quiet even though the hotel is next to Times Square. We stayed in a terraced suite and it was truly fantastic. They have really thought of everything in the room from Asprey toiletries to a power adaptor.

All the staff were very helpful and made a point of talking to you. A big thank you to Elina, Brandon and the reception team.

I will be rebooking, it's the only hotel for me in New York.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Barbara_H11
Axel_Fischer, Hotel Manager at The Chatwal, A Luxury Collection Hotel, New York, responded to this review, May 6, 2014
Dear Barabara_H11 - Thank you for your kind words. We look forward to welcoming you back. With best regards - Axel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (290)
  • Arabic first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
San Francisco, California
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 23, 2014

I had high hopes for this place as it comes with a butler service. That's why I chose it for a special occasion - my bachelorette party. A total of six of us flew in from San Francisco.

However, things took a nose dive as soon as we arrived. I got there first, handed over gifts to the front desk staff, and asked that they give one each to my girlfriends upon check-in, as a "welcome to my bachelorette party" favor.

They did that alright - but, they failed to mention that the gift came from ME. So my friends all thought it was a complimentary gift from the hotel itself...and I had to explain. So yes, frustration, from the very first moment.

And it got worse from there. As the rooms weren't ready for check in, they had to hold our luggage as we went shopping for the day. When we returned in the late afternoon, they had placed the suitcases in our suites, but managed to LOSE ONE OF THE GIFTS already. They made an effort to locate it but never succeeded. Two days later, after I checked out, one of the hotel managers did email me to follow up and offer to buy a replacement gift - but she NEVER DID until I reminded her again a week later, even though I was away in Europe. Seriously, I despise having to babysit when *I'm* the one paying for a service.

Now let's talk about the "butler" service. Let's just say among other things, our butlers told us they couldn't get us cupcakes even though later on we discovered there's a Magnolia's Cupcakes literally two blocks away from the hotel. Simply put, I don't understand how their butler service was any better than a typical hotel concierge...in fact, it seemed worse.

In all fairness, they did do a few things right as well, such as 1. steaming my evening gown and 2. working out a kink with the spa downstairs (which, by the way, you should skip all together. It didn't feel "lux" at ALL). But then again, at the prices I paid, I EXPECTED excellent, professional service - and what we received was anything but.

I really don't mind places charging $$$$ as long as the service can match it, but the Chatwal utterly failed at that. It felt like I paid for good champagne but got beer instead. A word to the management team - train your staff! Or pay top dollars to get the professionals who already know what they're doing. As you know, it's much easier to get a repeat customer than win a new one, so it's in your interest to make every stay pleasant.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank SFOO7
Axel_Fischer, Hotel Manager at The Chatwal, A Luxury Collection Hotel, New York, responded to this review, April 25, 2014
Dear Miss Kristen,

We extend our sincere apologies for your experience here at The Chatwal. You had been in touch with senior management throughout your stay and expressed gratitude for our follow up.

We were glad to have at least one of your rooms ready for early check-in and of course the additional rooms were available at regular check-in time.

Your thoughtful gifts to your friends were passed on as requested upon check-in, and I apologize that we did not verify with you what specific verbiage to use, given that it the gifts did not contain a card from you. Unfortunately it appears that we were short one of the gifts and must have lost it. We are embarrassed about this incident and are reviewing our procedures to ensure this does not occur again. As you mentioned we offered to compensate you and replaced and express delivered the item to your home.

Lastly it was disappointing that our butlers failed to provide you with the personalized service that they generally so successfully and gracefully provide. I will surely look into while your simple requests for Cup Cakes was not fulfilled, while other services were swiftly expedited.

Clearly your stay did not meet yours and our own high expectations. Your review on TripAdvisor as well as on other platforms helps us to better ourselves and we thank you for your time.

Please feel free to contact me directly if I can be of any further assistance.

With best regards

Axel Fischer
Nashville, Tennessee
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 23, 2014

I work in the entertainment business and when only the best will do for my clients, The Chatwal is the only hotel I trust. The rooms are beautiful, the bathrooms are spectacular and I've never had a request that was unmet. The management team goes above and beyond to ensure their guests are more than happy. It's one of my favorite places in the city and I can't wait to return!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank tammiwspg
Dear Tammiwspg - we like the sound of your header! Thank you so much for your kind words. We are excited about your return visit ! With best regards - Axel
Burlington, Vermont
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 18, 2014

Our stay at the Chatwal was very short but very comfortable. My husband and I flew in the for the night to see two broadway shows (and have our first kid-free night since having twins). All staff we encountered seemed to try and go above and beyond. We got there very early in the morning but we were able to be given a room within 20 minutes or so, which was unexpected. The location can't be beat. Has a small and intimate vibe which is rare in New York, expecially in Times Square. The decor was fantasic. Our room was comfortable and good sized for the city. I'm sure we were in one of their smaller accommodations since we booked on hotwire, but it was definitely bigger than other places I have stayed. Also ate dinner at the Lamb's Club on site which was excellent as well. I will stay there again for our next quick trip down for a show!

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank CaseyMD
Dear CaseyMD - we are so glad you found us! Thank you for taking the time and sharing your experience. It means a lot to us, especially coming from a seasoned luxury traveler. We look forward to having you back one day. With best regards - Axel
Bunbury, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 17, 2014

Wonderful stay at this top class boutique hotel. From the time we arrived till we left, the staff made us feel special. The décor was modern and yet had a nostalgic feel (see photos). We had a “studio” room which was like having 2 adjoining rooms, one was a bedroom and the other a small lounge. Our rooms were modern and spacious and the amenities were beautifully presented.
Often Western hotels find it hard to match the 5 star hotels found in Asian countries but this little gem in New York city matches if not exceeds those Asian hotels. This was a surprise find that was not part of a huge “hotel chain”.
It was conveniently located to Times Square and also close to 5th Avenue Shopping.
Again, cannot rave about the staff enough. Well done to the manager and team for staff training. Nothing seem too difficult for them.
Overall an excellent hotel, attentive and fantastic staff. This is one hotel that we will return to and happily recommend.

Room Tip: Perhaps ask for a patio room that everyone seems to talk about
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank BunburyTim61
Dear BunburyTim - 10 out of 10 for your review as well. Thank you so much for taking the time and sharing your experience. More than anything we are thrilled about your kind words for our staff. This makes us extremely proud. We hope to see you back some time! With best regards - AXEL
Essex, Connecticut
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 15, 2014

Met my daughter from Scottsdale for NYC and NYY-Red Sox night game. Our stay at The Chatwal lives up to the SPG Luxury Resort Standards. All the Staff were very professional and pleasant. The hotel location is great, so near the hustle and bustle of Times Square, but so quiet on the side street. We loved our patio and enjoyed eating breakfast there before checking out. Great deli just couple doors down on 44th street too. The Jazz Brunch at The Lamb on Sunday was extra bonus. Will definitely stay there again when visit NYC. Only down side was a Bridal Party in room next door, but very quiet after they left. And oh yes,,,NYY beat the Sox.

Room Tip: Second Level with outside patio great for spring or fall.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank LCatCove
Leland, Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 12, 2014 via mobile

So glad to have found this place!!! Every detail perfect!! Staff attentive, friendly and so helpful. I would give 10 stars if possible. Beds perfect for me. Loved the roomy closets and bath. I would stay a month!!! Is it possible to find a small, safe comfy base with wonderful little eats across the street , next to the Belasco AND Hedwig?

Stayed April 2014