“Somber, Dirty room, Noisy neighbors”

The Chatwal, A Luxury Collection Hotel, New York
Ranked #44 of 468 Hotels in New York City
Tokyo Japan
“Somber, Dirty room, Noisy neighbors”
Reviewed June 25, 2013

The location is perfect if you want to see a lot of musical shows like we did. But for long stay this hotel IS NOT GOOD,( We stay 8 nights) the room had no day light, and so many little lamps, if you bother to put all of them on, the room still dark. You may not see if the room is really clean. The beds are not so comfortably and if you put on the air conditioning at night the air come directly to your face, very bad feeling. The bathroom is black (you may not see the mold in there, also if your not so young like me, it is kind of difficult to get in to the tub for your everyday shower, the wall of the tub is more than ten centimeters wide. If you have a culture of socking in the bath tube like we do in Japan, do not go to this hotel, the tub is dirty, do not put the "shower gel" in it before you check cleanliness, if you try to mix the water the dirt come out from the holes of the jet bath, and if you press it, the dirt come to the water in a disgusting way, (they did not clean this, maybe since they open the hotel 3 years ago!)
We ask many times for them to clean it ,after 4 days of our stay the "butler" finally say hello,(in the lobby) we told the problem and he promised to clean it, and he send some little cookies to our room with a card saying "problem solve" far from it, still very dirty. (see the pictures after they clean it).
There is NOT a coffee maker or hot water to make a tea ,not iron in the room, like other 5 star hotels we had staying in N.Y. city. They give you two bottles of water every day and they upgrade us to a room with two beds for the same price of the original queen room, but, no sun light at all!
Breakfast was included in the package, we discover that to eat outside was better and cheaper than the suggested tip!
Internet was free.
The doors of the hotel are really heavy and most of the time you have to open it yourself.
The maids and the butler are very soft, kind and educated spoken people , ( we saw the butler only twice in the lobby. Then what is the point to advertise that your room have a butler service??
We think is just the fault of the management that this great location hotel room is not superb.
Plus, if you swim every day like us DO NOT GET FOUL BY THE PICTURE OF THE POOL! IT IS VERY LITTLE! (We went to swim at our friend hotel, then we took our slippers and shampoos there. Every day we have to ask for new sleepers, because we left the old ones were we swim, if a customer stay for one night or 8 nights paying same price every night, why you should not get new amenities every night?). .
They give us a connecting room and it is so horrible if you had a fantastic dinner just to come back to your room and hear your neighbors trying to get rid of his phlegm for ours, in a very noisy way.
Also we have to listen a very drunk neighbor talking on the phone in a very loud voice, at two in the morning for more than two hours. If I was the manager of that hotel I will think a bit how to locate customers, I will never put two ladies in connecting rooms neighboring single noisy drunk man. Looks like we were the only ones staying more than one or two nights in those connecting rooms. And always the neighbors were men. Kind of disgusting. It is so much to complain about this hotel management.
It was my daughter (31 years old) and me, we took two packages "stay 4 night and pay for 3", at U.S. $ 825 a night (including taxes more than $ 900 a night). 8 nights in total. We had to tell the front desk at the end of our first package that they were charging the 4 nights in total, first he said that I was wrong ,but then he acknowledge his mistake, and there were no more problems with the bill.
We travel to New York city every year ,but this is the first time we really wanted to get out of the hotel we stayed. (just if I did not pay in advance...)
For this price we expected much better

Room Tip: Connecting rooms have no sun light and are noisy.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank Fioriypom
Lance M, Front Office Manager at The Chatwal, A Luxury Collection Hotel, New York, responded to this review, July 11, 2013
Dear Fioriypom,

We appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback from your experience at The Chatwal NY.

Through a distinguished level of intimate service, we strive not only to meet, but sincerely exceed our guest’s expectations. I regret that you did not have the typical experience our guests have come to expect. We have been reviewing your comments closely with our team here at The Chatwal.

We trust that you had the chance to bring these matters to our attention during your visit and that they were immediately attended to.

I would welcome the opportunity to further discuss your reservation further. I can be reached via email at lmiller@thechatwalny.com or by calling the hotel directly at 212.764.6200 and ask to speak with Lance.

Thank you.

Lance Miller

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (299)
  • Arabic first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
Basking Ridge, New Jersey
Reviewed June 24, 2013

Having stayed earlier this year at the Greenwich Hotel, then previously at the Crosby Street, Gramercy Park & Mandarin Oriental hotels, this was my least favorite. It's a very nice hotel and the room was decorated beautifully. The phone console was large & cumbersome on the night table. The gym was tiny & could have been cooler. The upstairs bar was closed during our one night, which was a disappointment. The location near Times Square was also not my favorite, but I must say it was quiet. There was a fancy toilet & the shower was great. I did not like the common area/lobby at all. While there there were places to sit, nowhere was cozy.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Lance M, Front Office Manager at The Chatwal, A Luxury Collection Hotel, New York, responded to this review, July 15, 2013
Dear NJBetsy,

Thank you for taking the time to provide the details of your experience from The Chatwal NY.
Currently, we are looking into alternative options to upgrade our phone consoles. We appreciate your feedback on this matter.

Should you wish to further discuss your reservation in greater detail, please do not hesitate to reach out to me directly at lmiller@thechatwalny.com.

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed June 22, 2013

Neat well presented small/mid sized midtown hotel, nice staff and good maid service. It feels a bit like your'e on the scene of a Dick Tracy movie, the common areas are a touch on the dark side and this decor is not from my favourite era, however - thats the only criticism if you could call it that, the positives well outweighed these. The bed was incredibly comfortable and the rooms soundproof and silent - both essentials in a city hotel in my opinion. The bathrooms were great, good water pressure, big baths and shower. Japanese electrco heated seat and blowdry toilet which umm...well...doesn't need any comment other than I finally worked it out, then turned it off. We had a balcony room which added a bit of a more spacious feel although in reality, unless your a desperate chain smoker, you would never go outside..its noisy, dusty and hot this time of year. Its a touch close to Time Square as far as the masses and street traffic go, but if your in town for a show, well, thats a positive there also,
Like most NY hotels, breakfast is kind of ridiculously expensive, however they did make a good capuccino, which in the USA is a rarity. Fiji water in the rooms, and as I said, extremely nice maids and a small tip on the nightsand every day assured us of good service. There is construction work in the building next door, however this is mid town so I suppose thats to be expected, however the room was "silent" and I slept perfectly. Can recommend for anyone wanting a well priced mid town clean modern hotel.

Room Tip: I stayed in a balcony room however I never used the balcony once, so in reality the slightly cheaper...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Lance M, Front Office Manager at The Chatwal, A Luxury Collection Hotel, New York, responded to this review, July 12, 2013
Dear EmaJayKay,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience from The Chatwal NY.

We are pleased to know you enjoyed your visit with us. We do hope the opportunity permits for you to return to The Chatwal NY in the future. If I can ever be of any assistance, please do not hesitate to reach out to me directly at lmiller@thechatwalny.com.

MILANO
Reviewed June 21, 2013

my wife and i spent 5 days in new york midtown chatwal hotel.
small european style hotel with a charme. forget the usual chains caothic hotels in new york which looks like a train station or an airport.
it is more likely a family run hotel.
the hotel was open in 2010 and therefore it is in outstanding conditions.
all personell is extremly nice and polite and do everything necessary to assist you.
in particula the butler services is spectacular. i am a frequent traveller spending over 100 days a year around the globe and can tell that the chatwal butler services is a real one: they wear a butler uniform and they rush in your room after you call them to provide what you need. i ask my black tie to be pressed and the butler collected and personally pressed it much better and much quicker then my wife or my homemaid would have done.brandon&manpreet deserve a special mention.
restaurant is extremely good and the breakfast menu a la carte is fantastic: forget the traditional buffet average food! this is like your mam old age breakfast.
room are big and nice. bathroom is second to none. the only negtive thngs is that room have not much light but next time i will ask for the room with the terrace!!
highly reccomended

Room Tip: take the room withe the terrace
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Dear marcol,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience from The Chatwal NY.

We are thrilled to read that you had a pleasant visit with us and that you were able to take advantage of the complimentary butler service offered to all guests in the hotel.

We do hope to have the pleasure to welcome you back to The Chatwal NY in the future. If I can be of any assistance, please do not hesitate to reach out to me directly at lmiller@thechatwalny.com.

New Haven, Connecticut
Reviewed June 20, 2013

We just returned from an overnight in NYC. We usually stay at the St. Regis but they had no availability so we decided to try the Chatwal. It was nothing short of perfect! The friendliest and fastest check-in ever... the lobby is chic, hip and clean and the room was unbelieveable! Impeccably clean, modern (yet warm) decor with every luxury you can imagine (including heated toilet seats - really???). We had french doors leading out to a private terrace with a big table/ chairs, and umbrella surrounded by huge, beautiful planters. Towels and sheets were oversize, luxurious and super snuggly - in summary.... we didn't want to leave! We will definitely add this to our list of favorite hotels!

Room Tip: The hotel is located in mid-town - ask for an inside room to avoid the sound of the traffic on 44th...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear AJC0607,

We appreciate you taking a moment to share your feedback from The Chatwal NY.

We are delighted to know that you enjoyed your visit with us and that you were able to indulge in the many luxurious ammenties offered in our guest rooms.

Should we have to opportunity to have you return with us for another visit, please do not hesitate to reach out to me directly at lmiller@thechatwalny.com if I can be of any assistance.

Reviewed June 19, 2013 via mobile

What a gem! This small boutique hotel is in a great Times Square location with wonderful access to the theatre district. We ate at the hotel restaurant before our show. Excellent meal. The hotel staff and door men were outstanding. You can tell that they take pride in doing their jobs well. The rooms are contemporary and appointed beautifully. Beds and pillows were perfect. We are looking forward to staying again at The Chatwal. And like another reviewer, we only stay and 5star hotels and this one is fabulous!!!

• Stayed June 2013
Dear Twittpugmom,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience from The Chatwal NY.

We are delighted to read you had an enjoyable visit with us and that you appreciated the proximity to Broadway’s best and brightest shows.

We will look forward to your return visit. If I can ever be of any assistance, please do not hesitate to reach out to me directly at lmiller@thechatwalny.com.

Welwyn
Reviewed June 18, 2013

Hotel was perfectly located just off Times Square. Lovely Art Deco style and everything is in absolutely spotless condition. Only had breakfast there once but couldn't fault it, although I did have to be brave when I saw the bill. All the staff were super friendly and helpful. Room was very nice with a terrace although no view to speak of. I would have no hesitation recommending it and would definitely stay again.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear whichere,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience from The Chatwal NY. We are delighted to know you enjoyed your visit with us, and will look forward to your return visit. If there is anything I may be able to assist you with, please do not hesitate reach out to me directly at lmiller@thechatwalny.com.