“Tip Top Hotel in Great Location”

The Chatwal, A Luxury Collection Hotel, New York
Ranked #39 of 470 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed June 2, 2013 via mobile

Chose The Chatwal on the back of Tripadvisor rankings and we weren't disappointed. Had two inter-connecting rooms for our family and both were exceptional. Very lavish furnishings with great bathrooms. Opinions on Japanese toilet divided the family!
We had internal rooms and if we had any criticism it was simply that they could have done with brighter lighting; but they were very quiet and relaxing.
Staff were very helpful and friendly. Concierge team gave great restaurant recommendations and sorted out our transport niggles. Front desk team were always concerned to ensure our stay was going well.
Rather than booking on a website we phoned the hotel to make a reservation and we got great help in securing really advantageous rates by buying Starwood points. The web couldn't compete and we would never have discovered this without making the call.
All up, a great find and would return like a shot.
PS my wife recommends the Red Door Spa!

• Stayed: May 2013
2  Thank Darnie
Lance M, Front Office Manager at The Chatwal, A Luxury Collection Hotel, New York, responded to this reviewResponded July 12, 2013

Dear Darnie,

We appreciate you taking the time to share your experience from The Chatwal NY.

It was a true pleasure to have you as our guest. We are delighted to know you had an pleasant visit, and that you were able to utilize the services of the concierge and that your wife received signature treatments at The Red Door Spa by Elizabeth Arden.

We do hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to The Chatwal NY in the future. If there is anything I may be able to assist you with, please do not hesitate to contact me directly at lmiller@thechatwalny.com.

Lance Miller

Write a ReviewReviews (1,199)

Reviewed June 2, 2013

I don't understand why this hotel gets such great reviews on Trip Avisor. We've just completed a 5 night stay and our experience wasn't in line with the reviews we read, the price we paid, or our expectations.

First, the positives:

- Very funky decor with red leather in the common areas and leather and chrome in the bedrooms
- Great Japanese WCs in the bathrooms with heated seats and built in sprays
- Excellent concierge desk: Bryan and Sergio couldn't do enough for us and were truly outstanding
- Good location in the heart of midtown and only one block from Times Square

Now for the negatives:

- Our room was really small (we had a grand deluxe king, 904) and oddly designed and fitted out. Though the furnishings are very funky and interesting (as mentioned above) the design of the room lacks functionality. The bed side tables are so full of gadgets, there is no space to place anything else on them (water glass, book, ipad, wallet, etc). The cupboards are wierdly designed (very deep doors which contain shelves that have no real purpose) and can only be used to hang clothes. The drawers (on the other side of the room) were inadequate for our storage needs. A space age phone (that also contains room controls) didn't work for the duration of our stay. The walls were clad in suede which was worn out in places (I'm sure it's hard to maintain and doesn't seem like a great material for a hotel room). Finally, given the small size of the room, I am surprised they chose such a dark color pallete as it makes the room seem even smaller than it is.

- The bathroom is really impressive looking (even more than the room) but also lacks functionality. The chrome washbasins looked great when we arrived but got water stains on them in one use and then just looked dirty. We had a jacuzzi tub in the bathroom with an overhead shower. We couldn't use the tub because the bath stopper was broken the entire duration of our stay. The way the shower is placed, it was impossible to use it without wetting the bathroom floor. Water pressure was also very poor for the shower.

- Very poor housekeeping service. The housekeeping staff never bothered to pick up empty water bottles, used milk jugs, etc. from our room. When they made the bed in the evening, they placed the extra cushions on the only chair in the room rendering it unusable. Surely it should be standard protocol for extra bedding to be stored in the cupboards.

- Room service is very slow and very expensive. We travelled with a small child so needed to get warm milk for him twice a day and also have his bottles cleaned. We assumed this was something the butler service could do for us but were told it is outside their scope and we should ask room service. Room service took 30+ minutes to get us milk each time we asked and charged us $8-12 for the privilege. Unacceptable and not what we have ever experienced in any other luxury hotel before (and we've been to many!)

- Given the above, not sure what the purpose of butler service is. There is already room service, housekeeping, concierge and porter service available, so don't know what function the butler is meant to provide.

- We ate 3 meals in the Lambs Club restaurant (breakfast, brunch, dinner). Food was average, prices exorbitant and service poor. We got served dishes we didn't order, service took forever, and staff behaved like they were doing us a favour to let us eat there.

- Finally, it's very difficult to get cabs outside the hotel. We previously stayed at the Sofitel which is also on 44th a block from the Chatwal and this was never a problem at that hotel. However, at the Chatwal, it was impossible to get a cab. When we were to go to the airport, the hotel suggested a limo that would cost $270. We told them to call us a yellow cab instead (which costs $52) and they claimed that its not possible to call a cab in NYC, which I know is not true.

I would not stay at this hotel again and can't recommend it to others.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
9  Thank sohilc
Lance M, Front Office Manager at The Chatwal, A Luxury Collection Hotel, New York, responded to this reviewResponded June 9, 2013

Dear sohilc,

Thank you for taking the time to share your input from The Chatwal NY.

All guestrooms and bathrooms are furnished with the most luxurious amenities available. Additionally, we commit ourselves to providing our guests with a distinguished level of intimate service. I am sorry to learn that you were not completely satisfied with your visit. We continually strive to exceed our guests’ expectations and we greatly value your feedback.

We would welcome the opportunity to have you return with us for another visit to The Chatwal NY. I would be happy to facilitate your reservation to ensure you receive the exact specifications in a room that you require. Kindly reach out to me at lmiller@thechatwalny.com so that I may be able to assist you.

Reviewed May 31, 2013

We chose The Chatwal for a one-night stay in NYC because it was part of the Starwood Hotel Group. We were totally blown away by the ambiance of the hotel, which is in the heart of the theater district. I felt like I had walked into the 1940's (in a GOOD way!). Beautiful deco design in both public areas and rooms. In addition to being beautiful, it had the important things-----super quiet, great bed, excellent bathroom. The bartender in the 1st floor bar mixed a fabulous Manhattan, and the restaurant was very good. We would definitely stay here again.

2  Thank PoisonPrincess
Reviewed May 30, 2013

We've stayed at The Chatwal 6 or 7 times over the last few years - it's the only hotel we stay in (although a family obligation has us at the W Union Sq in November). I absolutely love this hotel - my friend recommended it a few years back bragging that he stayed in Lindsay Lohan's room (not that that's necessarily a draw but is a fun fact). The rooms vary in size but usually SPG guests are upgraded - the hotel is always packed. This stay I had a Grand Deluxe room which is a bit on the small side but pretty and has a balcony where I am currently sitting to write this after breakfast - it's a spacious terrace that has a table and umbrella.
Staff really make this place - I don't even have to show ID - the people know me and everyone is welcoming. The front desk manager Lance is available by email if I have questions and the Concierge staff (Pierre is m go to) could not be better!
Looking forward to a long relationship with the Chatwal.

Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Kenneth P
Reviewed May 27, 2013

I am torn about the Chatwal, On one hand it is very nice in several ways:
1. extremely gracious and nice staff (for the most part)
2. nicely appointed rooms with excellent beds, pillows, linens
3. very cool Japanese toilets.
4. my room was very quiet

Unfortunately there are several factors that caused me to downgrade my rating to 3 stars.
The primary one is that I don't like being lied to. I paid extra Starwood points to get an upgraded "Grand Deluxe King Room" that is supposed to be 400 square feet, and then was put into a room that was 300 square feet. The manager insisted that what I was given was indeed a Grand Deluxe King Room but that it was only supposed to be 350 square feet. However the hotel's own website said 400 square feet. Plus I paced off the room and it was NOT 350 sf--it was 300 square feet--MAYBE 315 if you include an extra foot for the wall (although we'd be back down to 300 feet if I subtract the cutout in the bathroom). On top of that there was NO bathtub (in my opinion a 5 star hotel should have luxurious tubs--some rooms have them but not my 'grand deluxe'), no space for toiletries in the bathroom.
Naturally the hotel was sold out, so there was 'nothing they could do' re changing rooms.
Depending on how you value the points I paid the equivalent of $750-$1000 for a tiny room, and then was given the good old switcheroo of telling a client that they are in a 'better' room when they are really in the 'basic' room. For $750-1000 I could have gotten a vastly superior room in the Mandarin Oriental, St. Regis, Ritz Carlton, or other 5 star hotels.
Starwood agreed to refund some of my points--But I would have preferred to just get what I originally was promised.
So my advice if you stay here is to really nail down the specifics.

Room Tip: higher floor, interior rooms away from elevator are super quiet. Some rooms don't have bathtubs...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
5  Thank katiew108
Lance M, Front Office Manager at The Chatwal, A Luxury Collection Hotel, New York, responded to this reviewResponded May 30, 2013

Dear katiew108,
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience from The Chatwal NY.

At The Chatwal NY, we are always looking not only to meet, but to sincerely exceed our guest’s expectations. For this reason we are disappointed to learn that you did not find your accommodation to be satisfactory. We do apologize that a guest room with a Jacuzzi tub was not available during your stay. The Jacuzzi tubs are available upon request and we work hard to ensure that these requests are accommodated whenever possible.

I am pleased to learn that you did enjoy aspects of your visit including the unique features you found in the room.
We would welcome the opportunity to have you with us for a return visit. It would be my pleasure to facilitate your reservation. I can be reached at lmiller@thechatwalny.com or you may call the hotel directly at 212.764.6200 and ask to speak with Lance.

Thank you.

Reviewed May 27, 2013

After several trips to NY and always at a 5 star, the Chatwal was absolutely the best. Great location steps from the theaters and Times Square but away from the crowds. Michael our doorman was wonderful, polite and always helpful, Elena front desk kind and welcoming and Brandon our butler super. With a quick word, Brandon arranged chocolates and beautiful yellow roses for my wife's Birthday.

The finishes in the room are top notch, the linens, bathrooms and sitting area absolutely top of class. My wife and I, have travelled from Kiev, to Moscow, Paris, London, Bangkok, Istanbul and all places between, we are definitely going back to the Chatwal. Front line staff make this great hotel a 6 star. Stephen & Natasha

Room Tip: We booked a suite overlooking 44 West, loved the extra space. There is a swim flow small pool and ho...
2  Thank Stephaska
Reviewed May 21, 2013

We stayed for our 2 year wedding anniversary. I have not stopped thinking about the hotel since we left. I loved my experience!! The service at the front desk was personable and very accommodating. The decor of the lobby and design of the hotel was modern with a vintage feel. The room was so beautiful and comfortable. All the the needs a traveler/visitor could ask for. I loved the bathrooms and the toilet :) The butler service was speedy and courteous. Every detail was met perfectly.
One of the best moments I experienced was swimming in the endless pool at the spa. What a beautiful spa, I wish I had time for a massage.
The Lambs Club is a sensational restaurant and the service was great. We had the Arrancini Appetizer at the Bar (amazing!!!!) and had breakfast in the Morning on Monday. Pastries were phenomenal and the Pressed Egg Sandwich was so good. My husband loved his fluffy buttermilk pancakes. The food was amazing and so delicious, which I was expecting from the Iron Chef, Zakarian. I was even delighted by the opportunity to meet him and get a photo together in the lobby when he walked by! :) A true professional and great Chef.
Only negative feedback was our first experience at the bar in the lobby. The bartender was rude and barely acknowledged us. He did not fit in with the other extremely hospitable staff members around. When he came to take our order (finally!!) he never even said hello or asked how we were, he just simply stated "Do you know what you want?" I asked how he was today, and he said he was good. I was doing very well but he never asked. We waited too long for our drinks too.
On another note, we waived too long for our valet'd car. We did not want to drive to the city from CT that day, but had no choice because of the recent train crash. I understood the delay because its NYC, but I believe there may have been a mis-communication behind the scenes because we waited over 90 minutes.
I will still give this rating a 100% Excellent Review. I work in the industry and was really really impressed. It is now my new happy place.

2  Thank reneebethfish