“luxury, friendly customer service ... LOVE IT!”

The Chatwal, A Luxury Collection Hotel, New York
Ranked #46 of 466 Hotels in New York City
uk
“luxury, friendly customer service ... LOVE IT!”
Reviewed April 18, 2013

This hotel is tucked away in a fantastic location, just minutes from Time Square, and from the minute you arrive you feel that you are truly home. Every single member of staff is friendly, helpful and professional. We stayed in a suite that was absolutely stunning and luxurious. The bed was so comfortable and inviting after a busy day and the bathroom and products were amazing. They have thought of everything and there are even umbrellas available for you to take with you on a rainy day. The concierge was superb and every one of his restaurant recommendations were spot on! I cannot wait to return!! Worth every penny!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank jotheo
Lance M, Front Office Manager at The Chatwal, A Luxury Collection Hotel, New York, responded to this review, April 19, 2013
Dear jotheo,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience from The Chatwal NY.

We are delighted to know you enjoyed your visit with us. We are particularly pleased that you utilized the services of the concierge team to curate unforgettable memories.

We will look forward to your return visit. If I can be of any assistance, please do not hesitate to reach out to me directly at lmiller@thechatwalny.com.

Lance Miller

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (303)
  • Arabic first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
Belfast, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 18, 2013

We are just back from a fantastic stay at the Chatwal, a very stylish and luxurious hotel with friendly and helpful staff. Can't recommend highly enough. Also the hotel is in west 44th street just a few hundred yards from Time Square and the theatre district and dozens of restaurants.

Room Tip: Need to ask specifically if you want a bath as most rooms only have a shower albeit a super one All...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Djwposy
Dear DJwposy,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience from The Chatwal NY.

We sincerely appreciate your thoughtful comments about our team and your lovely comments about the style and luxurious appointments throughout the hotel.

We do hope to have the pleasure in welcoming you back to The Chatwal NY for a return visit. If I can be of any assistance, please do not hesitate to reach out to me at lmiller@thechatwalny.com.

Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed April 13, 2013

I am currently staying at the Chatwal. It is a beautiful hotel, however, I was "upgraded" from a queen room to a deluxe king. This sort of gratuitous offering always makes me a bit suspicious, but hey, who was I to complain. When I arrived in the room and found a welcome letter addressed to two other people, I became slightly concerned. The problem didn't surface however, until later in the evening when the Mezzanine Bar started hopping. Room 204 and I would assume any room on a lower floor of the 04 variety, is plagued with the sound of the slamming door leading to the bar and with the hoards of "happy" people jabbering in the elevator bank a couple of feet away. We explained the situation and asked for a quiet room. In fact, we asked specifically if the room was quiet when we arrived and we were assured that it was. When we asked to be moved, we were told that the hotel is 95% booked and that we likely could not be accommodated. I'm not sure why we could not be fit in to the vacant 5%. We did receive a call in the room at 3:00 saying that we could be moved if we would vacate the room and return at 6:00 pm. This would not have been such a difficult request had we had but a wink's sleep the night before with all of the banging and jabbering. But my partner was exhausted. So, we are left for another two nights in the same room. We're hoping the earplugs work.

Room Tip: Stay away from the bar and elevator.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
4 Thank LuckyTraveler1
Lance M, Front Office Manager at The Chatwal, A Luxury Collection Hotel, New York, responded to this review, April 16, 2013
Dear LuckyTravler1,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback from your experience at The Chatwal New York.

I want to apologize that we were not able to exceed your expectations. We explored all other options to move you to a different room, but there were none available at the time you had requested. We sincerely regret the type of disruption you experienced during your stay. This feedback is rare, but we are taking appropriate measures to eliminate any noise travel.

I would be grateful if you would reach out to me directly at lmiller@thechatwalny.com so that we may discuss your reservation in greater detail.

I will look forward to your correspondence.

Winnipeg, Manitoba
Reviewed April 9, 2013

GORGEOUS hotel. I'm the first to admit that I don't like the Times Square location much, but staying at this hotel makes braving the busy streets worthwhile. Wow.

Frank Sinatra was playing as we walked in, and that really just was the icing on the cake. The bellmen were dressed like bellboys of old, with the cap and spotless uniforms. Both front desk staff and bell staff were wonderfully friendly. Other reviewers have mentioned it, and I'll agree; the service here is exemplary. They hit the right combination of genuine care and professionalism, making you feel at once like an old friend and a VIP.

The room was lovely. At first, I thought it was a little plain, but then I started to notice the details and changed my opinion to "understated". The leather-wrapped armoires reminded me of old-fashioned luggage, and inside I was pleased to find proper barware, nice heavy cut-glass tumblers rather than cheap glasses. The details like this (and the incredibly crisp, bounce-a-quarter-off-it bedding) really elevated this hotel in my mind.

I stayed in a Grand Deluxe Double room, and the bathroom was massive! Not just massive by New York standards, but larger than my bathroom at home. The floor was glittery tile, the walls and vanity were mirrored, the toilet seat was heated and the tub was spotless. What else does a girl need? How about a rain shower head the size of a medium pizza? Incredible!

The room had an interior view, which is to say that it looked at nothing particularly attractive. However, I keep the drapes shut, and I had the quietest evening to date in New York. I loved that I could sleep without the sound of traffic for an evening!

Sadly, I didn't have time to try their restaurant, but a quick peek in shows that it's beautiful too. Everything about the Chatwal put me in mind of a Golden Age of travel, a step back in time. If you're thinking of booking, stop thinking and do it.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank RunCatchKiss
Dear RunCatchKiss,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience from The Chatwal NY.

The Chatwal NY is situated in a landmark Stanford White building and serves as an oasis in the middle of Manhattan’s historic Theatre District. It is a throwback to a bygone era of travel. We are delighted to know you appreciated the details in the theme of our hotel, as well as in your accommodations.

Above all at The Chatwal NY, we pride ourselves on the distinguished and intimate level of service our guests receive. We are very appreciative of your comments about our team.
We do hope to have the pleasure to welcome you back to The Chatwal NY in the near future. If there is anything further I can assist you with, please do not hesitate to let me know.

Oak Beach, New York
Reviewed April 8, 2013

We have stayed here many times and always great. It is walking distance to Broadway and resturant row. The lobby and lobby bar are a throwback to the 1940's. Eat at the Lambs Club inside the hotel. They provide chargers for your devices if you forget. Rooms are not huge(even the suites) but very comfortable and well appointed.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank THECURCIOS
Dear lih20rat,

Thank you for taking a moment to share your experiences from The Chatwal NY.

We very much appreciate your continued support and look forward to your next visit.

If there is ever anything I can accommodate for you, please do not hesitate to let me know.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 4, 2013

This hotel was absolutely incredible and close to all the theatres. Pictures don't do it justice of how beautiful is inside.
The entrance is TINY but once inside you stepped into an art deco dream.
Our stay was memorable from the lady that checked us in, a willowy charming brunette who upgraded us to a junior Suite to the hotel manager bringing us beautiful chocolates to our room to welcome us, to the sweet gesture of sending my husband a birthday card.
Inside the room was lovely. The bathroom was nice with a huge shower and expensive cosmetics. Room was decked original furnishings, a real blooming orchid and the softest Frette bedding and towels. The bar was well-stocked too though we are not alcohol people so it didn't got used.
Service was impecable. We did have a quick meal and drinks at the Lambs Club but I wished we had dinner at the restaurant too.
My only complain was the Jacuzzi was not working and they were very nonchalant about it. But when I say "they" I mean the Elisabeth Arden Spa people, for all I know they might not work for the hotel but I didn't have time to investigate.
All in all, I recommend this hotel wholeheartedly. We had an incredible 40th Birthday celebration there and like Arnie... "we will be back" to Chatwal.

Room Tip: It can be a bit noisy being in the centre of NYC but I think police sirens are part of the charm of...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank TheBroughtons
Brazil
Reviewed April 2, 2013

Wow... Almost speechless... What a nice hotel. Small, cozy, beautiful. Stayed there for 2 nights, from Mar/30 to April/1st.
Starting from the lobby, quiet, nicely decorated.
The room was surprisingly bigger than I expected (mainly for what I've read here and other websites), super comfy.
The bathroom was one of the most beautiful hotel's bathroom I've been to. Holding a no-show TV behind the mirror, it's a nice touch of technology. The toilet is heated up. The shower is soooo good! Lots of water.
The bed was delicious and inviting for a long night of sleep. Although my room faced 44th st, there were no noise there. The windows may be doubled layered, so it keeps noise and cold outside.
Nice sofa and working desk on the room.
Would rate free wifi access as 8/10. It could be a little faster (don't get me wrong, it was quite good...) and it didn't allowed me to access the app store over my iPhone and iPad.
The room has a great sense of technology... You can turn the lights on and off from several parts of the room (and turn it all off just by pressing 1 button - "turn all on/off"). Nice.
Consider to stay there again if I end up going to NYC again. I'm not a fan of it, don't like Times Square and all it's noisy crowded places/streets.
On the other hand, if you like it, you're just one block from the mess.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple