The Chatwal, A Luxury Collection Hotel, New York
Ranked #39 of 475 Hotels in New York City
Melbourne, Australia
“NYC in style”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2013

We went to NYC for the New Year so I thought a good hotel to celebrate was warranted. So I picked form SPG’s luxury collection, and I can see why this hotel is part of that collection as it is got a wow factor written all over it. The hotel offers a butler service so from arrival to check out your luggage and all needs is looked after. At check in we were upgraded to JR suite room and what a room. Now I have stayed at a lot of luxury hotels but this room was just one of the best I have ever seen. From the desk to the cupboards to walls no, the interior designer must have been given a blank check when he picked out what he wanted to do. The bathroom was even better with heated seats to integrated TV in the vanity mirror which was compliment by a massive rainfall shower area. Let’s just say the size of the room was not what one would expect in a NYC hotel. Breakfast was another treat which was severed in the restaurant (The lambs club). And what a breakfast, all quality and absolutely beautiful and filling. The bar on the first floor was cool and dark and portrayed the look the hotel was hoping for. And last but not least the staff where friendly and very service orientated and concierge had the best tickets for all our shows and advise for where to get the best tickets from. Location wise its right in the heart of time sq, a troll to everything and anything. I would recommend this hotel to anyone who is looking for a luxury stay while in NYC.

Room Tip: in rooms quiter but smaller, window room bigger
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars
    • 5 of 5 stars

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (276)
  • Arabic first
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2013

My mother and I stayed at the Chatwal 17-21 Dec 2012. She is nearly 80 and this was her first visit to NYC. I wanted somewhere fairly central for Times Square & Theatres etc. and this was perfect. Our room was fabulous with 2 very comfortable queen beds, amazing waterfall shower and small terrace. The decor was first class everywhere in the hotel which made our Christmas trip feel very special. Breakfast was a treat every morning with a beautifully decorated open fireplace, great food and excellent service.
The staff were so helpful and friendly and we were made to feel most welcome. The Butler service was an added bonus and nothing was too much trouble. My mother had room service one night and she was treated like ‘Royalty’. This meant a lot to me, I knew I had left her in capable hands.
The upstairs bar was very popular so as a guest I found it best to book a table earlier in the day. This is a small boutique hotel, the staff knew us by name which is not something you get in larger hotels. Yes it is pricey but well worth it. It you want cheap, don’t book this Hotel. I love luxury and The Chatwal certainly delivered. I will certainly stay here again.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars
Erica B, Manager at The Chatwal, A Luxury Collection Hotel, New York, responded to this review, January 14, 2013
We are so delighted that you and your mother enjoyed our hotel over the holidays. What a perfect time of year to experience New York City for the first time. Thank you for sharing your feedback.
SEATTLE
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2013

I booked on priceline which guarantees a" comfortable stay for 2 people." They were only willing to give me a room with 2 beds (which I needed for 2 teens and my wife and I). They made me pay $150 more for a room with 2 beds. $372 with tax and fees came to $451 add 150 and you get $600 which is more than I would have paid for any comprable hotel for one night. If they don't want to sell their rooms through priceline then they should not. But, to sell the room and then beat up the customer is beneath their standing. I would not stay here again for $50.

Room Tip: Stay elsewhere
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 stars
    • 4 of 5 stars
    • 1 of 5 stars
10 Thank YNOT61
Lance M, Front Office Manager at The Chatwal, A Luxury Collection Hotel, New York, responded to this review, January 10, 2013
Dear YNOT61,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback.

You had reserved a standard accommodation with a queen sized bed that is fitting for two adults. An upgrade to a larger accommodation with an additional bed comes at an increment in price.

We would welcome the opportunity to have you for a return visit with your family. Please reach out to me directly at lmiller@thechatwalny.com so that I may facilitate your reservation and ensure that everything meets your level of expectation.

New York City
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2013

My mother and I went here with my service animal for four nights, where the fourth night was free, to celebrate New Years at Times Sq. When we arrived, the front desk was very courteous and very welcoming. We had a lot of luggage with us and didn't even notice who and how quickly it was unloaded and on to the cart. We were escorted into the room and explained every detail there and even though I have vision impairment, the technology was easy to use in comparison to other upscale hotels due to the unbelievably superb quality of the visual and touch on the phone screen without me having to use various glasses and lenses, loved it. I must of stayed in 25 different hotels in New york City and this was the only hotel that upgraded our room by two categories without letting us know. This is the hotel with class that can spot the class of its guests. This was also the only hotel which impressed me with things I have not seen in other hotels. I've seen all kind of amazing features in 5 stars hotel and I am always humored when the escort demonstrates room features as if no other hotel have them or my first time. But, in this property, you'd be amazed about some of the new features. Relatively new property and yet already well established in itself thanks to the unbelievably amazing stuff, like not in any other hotels. The appearance of the stuff took me back into the 50's and 60's movies when only the very rich traveled to afford such luxury hotel. The hotel is glamorous in every-way. The occupancy was full and yet rarely that I would find myself with another guest in elevator(s) which move at incredible speed and yet so smoothly. Staying in this hotel, no matter what, use the swimming pool facility at least once, it is heaven on earth and the first hotel in New York I've been to have it. (Trumpsoho hotel pool is a joke and in fact that entire hotel with its rooms is a complete joke of the town - the most expensive cheap hotel.)
We are New Yorkers and have lived in Brooklyn since 1977 and traveled to many cities in US and many other countries. We have never experienced such glamor in every aspect in this property and its employees and this would be the only property in NYC that I would consider staying here again. There are many excellent places to stay in New York and other cities, but there is only one Chatwal. My recommendation, if you have class, I strongly recommend not to look elsewhere for accommodation in New York City.
My special thanks to Brad for ensuring we stay in comfort.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank et49589
Dear et49589,
It was a true pleasure to have you as our guest. Thank you for taking the time to share your experience from The Chatwal NY.

Here at The Chatwal NY, we strive to provide our guests with a fresh and unique travel experience one can find in New York City. Our guest rooms are equipped with the finest amenities. The technological features incorporated throughout the room provides for a unique stay. I am thrilled to know you enjoyed these aspects of your guest room.

One of the advantages The Chatwal NY offers is that we are a 76 room boutique hotel. This ensures our guests receive a distinguished level of bespoke service and intimate attention. We thank you for your very kind words about our team as we are delighted to know that you appreciated this attention.

We do hope to have the pleasure to host you for a return visit to The Chatwal NY. If there is anything I may be able to assist you with, please do not hesitate to reach out to me directly at lmiller@thechatwalny.com.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

My husband, my daughter and I stayed at this beautiful hotel from 22nd to 26th December in a queen suite however, i'm a bit reluctant to write this review as I want to keep this treasure to myself! The whole visit was superb; amazing, friendly and helpful staff, a gorgeous comfortable suite with two bathrooms ( perfect for three of us), very attentive service from our butler and the turn down maids and spectacular food in The Lambs Club. The attention to detail is incredible and nothing is too much trouble, we asked for a special breakfast on Christmas Day which was not on the menu and it was delivered with a flourish! A truly wonderful Christmas, a fabulous hotel and one we can't wait to visit again as soon as we can.

• Stayed December 2012
1 Thank ArmfieldS
Dear ArmfieldS,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience from The Chatwal NY.
We were honored to host you for Christmas and are thrilled to know it proved to be a memorable experience.

Should we have the pleasure to welcome you back to The Chatwal NY in the future, please do not hesitate to contact me directly at lmiller@thechatwalny.com.

Richmond, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

My wife and I stayed at the Chatwal for two nights over New Years Eve for our 10-year anniversary and will most certainly be back. The hotel has every amenity you can think of (and tons you wouldn't have). It is situated perfectly off of Times Square taking away all travel worries. The entire staff was proactive in attending to every need. Dining at the Lamb's Club was superlative. The entire experience was beyond amazing. It was THE perfect getaway.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Brian L,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience from The Chatwal NY.

It was a true pleasure to host you for your 10 year wedding anniversary. We are delighted to know it proved to be an unforgettable experience.

We do hope to welcome you back to The Chatwal NY in the future. If there is anything I may be able to assist with, please do not hesitate to reach out to me directly at lmiller@thechatwalny.com.

Philadelphia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2012

Stayed for one night on Starwood Points. This is a pricey property, but worth every penny (or point). The hotel is an amazing, stylish, retro property in absolute mint condition- Suede walls in the room, Leather 'trunk' storage spaces, fantastic sound insulation and bed comfort. Wife loved the heated toilet seat. I loved the enormous rain head shower.

Jazz in the lounge was top notch, with 'Dandy Wellington and His Band' playing the one night we stayed. They sounded great. Unique cocktails are pricey but well made. Staff was great. Only annoyance was that we fell asleep after renting a $13 movie on LodgeNet and staff advised that there was no way to replay the next morning without purchasing again. (I am really starting to hate LodgeNet).

This is a hotel to save for special occasions- you and your date will not be disappointed. Location is perfect for theatres and Times Square area.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars
Lance M, Front Office Manager at The Chatwal, A Luxury Collection Hotel, New York, responded to this review, January 1, 2013
Dear DWtravelsalot,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience from The Chatwal NY.

It was a pleasure to have you stay with us. I am thrilled to read you enjoyed various aspects of your stay including the live jazz with some speak easy cocktails.

Should we ever have the opportunity to host you again for a return visit, please do not hesitate to reach out to me directly at lmiller@thechatwalny.com if I can be of any assistance.