“Exclusive boutique hôtel”

Ranked #44 of 468 Hotels in New York City
Kansas City
“Exclusive boutique hôtel”
Reviewed December 19, 2012

Wonderful boutique hotel located next to Times Square. Subway is two blocks away to all of Manhattan. Numerous classic eateries within walking distance. Bathrooms are ideal with Japanese heated cleansing toilettes.

Room Tip: Upgrade to a suite for more room as NY rooms are on the smaller side.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (300)
  • Arabic first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
Milan, Italy
Reviewed December 18, 2012

A very bad experience. The entrance is narrow and uncomfortable and the doormen don't always open the door for you. You have to walk a few steps and get into a hall which is essentially a bar (so noisy during happy hours that you have to scream to be able to talk to the receptionist). I was given a room on the 9th floor with an annoying noise in the air conditioning system. I changed room and given another one with the same problem and an extremely narrow window looking into a shaft. I was promised a better room the following day but, when I checked the following morning, the lady at the reception said that no room was available and the person I had spoken to was not on duty at the time. I was told to check again later and I responded that if no other room was available I would check out. I got back and, after unpleasant negotiations with a manager, I was promised a better room for the following day. I went to my room, thought about it a few minutes, went back down and said I would check out. At that point I was told that since it was by then past noon I was to pay for the room anyway! Upon my protest, I was allowed to check out without paying for the additional night. Incidentally, the rooms are dark, the furniture is pretentiously stylish but in reality of very poor design and covered with dark brown plastic material. The pool is a joke: the size of four bath tubs! Finally, there is no quiet area where you can just sit down in an armchair and chat with a friend. In my view, the place is grossly overrated.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
8 Thank Roberto-Santo
Lance M, Front Office Manager at The Chatwal, A Luxury Collection Hotel, New York, responded to this review, December 29, 2012
Dear Mr. Roberto-Santo,

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments with us. I am sorry to hear you were disappointed in your experience at The Chatwal. We continually strive to exceed our guests’ expectations and we value your feedback.

The Chatwal is a Landmark Stanford White designed-building restored and modernized my Master Architect and Designer Thierry Despont. Our reception desk is opposite to our Lambs Club Lobby Bar and can be lively. We are fortunate to have many different room configurations and I would be happy to personally show them to you, should we have the opportunity to welcome you back.

It would be my pleasure to facilitate any future reservations.

California
Reviewed December 16, 2012

I loved this hotel and couldn’t believe how much money and effort went into the rooms: great bath, built-in cabinetry, automated lighting and drapes, and lots more. Superb service, tasty (but expensive drinks) at the bar, and a terrific Times Square location make the Chatwal hard to beat. Recently it seems room prices have become very high unfortunately.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Lance M, Front Office Manager at The Chatwal, A Luxury Collection Hotel, New York, responded to this review, December 18, 2012
Dear FrankWeho,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience from The Chatwal NY.

We sincerely appreciate your kind words about our team. We are thrilled to know you appreciated the Jacuzzi tub, along with the various technologically-sophisticated furnishings of your accommodation.

Should we ever have the pleasure to host you for a return visit, please do not hesitate to contact me directly at lmiller@thechatwalny.com.

Cordially,
spain
Reviewed December 14, 2012

I stayed at the Chatwel on a layover in NYC. Travelers can always trust a Luxury Collection Hotel to deliver great service, comfortable accomodations and quality products. The Chatwel in Midtown Manahatten is no acception. The staff was very hospital and could not do enough to make sure i was comfortable. I received my normal upgrade as a platinum member and the bell cap enjoyed giving me the tour of the suite room. Features that are becoming standard in high end luxury hotels are all there including the in mirror TV and heated bathroom seats made for a nice touch.
If you like midtown and can afford this hotel it is great. Have a meal at the lambs club resturant and gaze at all the historic photo's of days gone by and the starts of Broadway that used to frequent the joint.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
Dear vandelay09,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience from The Chatwal NY.

We are thrilled to know you enjoyed your stay with us. We appreciate your kind words about our team, as we take a tremendous amount of pride in the intimate level of service our guests receive.

Should we ever have the honor to welcome you back for a return visit, please do not hesitate to reach out to me directly if I can be of any assistance at lmiller@thechatwalny.com.

Guernsey
Reviewed December 14, 2012

For a recent business trip to NY, one of my colleagues recommended this hotel as he always stays here. The location is great if you are a tourist, and happily was within a short walk of the client I was visiting. Having checked in during the evening and out again at 7:30am, I can't really comment on the facilities. However, there was no room service menu in my room, no hotel facilities directory and no breakfast card. This would have annoyed me if I had been staying longer.
The room was quite small, but the bathroom was well appointed and the shower was great. I'd stay here again on business, but wouldn't take my husband as he likes to have a bath as well as a shower.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank AJ0nes
Dear AJOnes,

Thank you for taking the time to share the details of your visit to The Chatwal NY.

I am pleased to learn that overall you enjoyed your time spent with us.

Should we ever have the opportunity to host you again for a return visit, please do keep in mind that the In-Room Dining menu and the Hotel Directory binder are located directly above the private bar. Breakfast cards are provided during the Turndown Service.

We do offer accommodations with a Jacuzzi tub which are available upon request.

If I can be of any further assistance, please do not hesitate to reach out to me directly at lmiller@thechatwalny.com.

Limerick
Reviewed December 1, 2012

My wife and I stayed here for 4 nights during thanksgiving. The hotel is in a great location close to all the shops, theatres, Times Square & restaurants. The food is really good and the rooms very spacious for New York. The bathrooms are fabulous with tv's fitted into the mirrors, heated toilet seats and jucuzzi baths. The rain shower is one of the best I ever had. The beds are very comfortable and the Art Deco style furniture has been well thought out and is of exceptional quality. Give the pool a miss. It's only about 15 ft long. The photos on the website are very flattering. I would definitely return here.

• Stayed November 2012
Auckland Region, New Zealand
Reviewed November 29, 2012

From the first night we stayed at this hotel, both my husband and myself have been itching like crazy! We stayed an unfortunate four nights at this hotel, and suffered major itching, including a major let down from what we were advised BEFORE booking at The Chatwal! We phoned prior to booking to ensure that the hotel had bathtubs (as our personal preference, we only book with hotels which have bathtubs) - we were advised that EVERY room has a bathtub - excellent, so we booked. We arrived all the way from New Zealand (19 hours of flight-time) at approximately 11:00pm to arrive to a major disappointment. NO BATHTUB! We phoned the desk from our room and were advised "sorry, there's nothing we can do as all rooms with a bathtub are taken". We then advised that prior to booking we were advised that ALL ROOMS have a bathtub - "no sorry, you were told wrong, and there's nothing I can do but you are welcome to leave". Then my husband went downstairs and spoke to the "duty manager" who then finally relented and looked up to see who would be checking out the following morning so we could get a room with a bathtub. We were then promised a room with a bathtub by 12:00 midday, but by the next morning, the woman at the desk advised "sorry, but they are now checking out at 4:00pm", so we asked for a refund for the first day since the whole inconvenience had ruined a whole entire travel day (WE had been trying to sort out this mess OURSELVES all night long and the following morning by arranging a room with a bathtub) - their reply "sorry, there's nothing I can do" - she didn't even offer any complimentary gestures as a way of saying sorry for the inconvenience caused by this ridiculous hotel! We would have loved to have checked out and moved to another hotel, however, upon such short notice and only arranging three days in New York, time was very restricted. This hotel is PERFECT FOR BACKPACKERS WHO HAVE MONEY! The hotel is so small and running on a strictly cheap budget that there is no doorman in the morning upon check-out. It has been two days since we checked out and yes, we are still itching like crazy! This hotel does NOT guarantee to deliver.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
14 Thank noexcusesforyou
Lance M, Front Office Manager at The Chatwal, A Luxury Collection Hotel, New York, responded to this review, December 5, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback.

We sincerely regret that we were unable to meet your expectations. In order to accommodate all guests preferences, we carry rooms that have the raindrop shower alone, and rooms that have a raindrop shower with a Jacuzzi tub. We normally accommodate these preferences for our guests however your request was not communicated to us prior to your arrival. All requests are subject to availability and due to the time that you had checked in, we unfortunately did not have any rooms with a Jacuzzi Tub available at that moment. I am pleased we were able to provide you a room move the very next day to an accommodation with a Jacuzzi Tub.

We are concerned that you experienced some type of itching during your night’s sleep. In order to ensure that bed bugs do not irritate our guests, we have exterminators check the hotel on a regular basis. You may also input our address, 130 West 44th Street, New York, NY 10036 to the bed bug registry (http://bedbugregistry.com/hotel/NY/New-York/Chatwal) which will confirm we do not carry bed bugs.

Had you brought your condition to our attention during your stay, we would have swiftly provided you with a House Doctor who would have prescribed a remedy for you.

I would welcome the opportunity to discuss your reservation in greater detail. You may contact me at lmiller@thechatwalny.com or call the hotel at 212.764.6200 and ask to speak with Lance.

I look forward to our correspondence.