“Wonderful Stay” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #43 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Dublin, Ireland
“Wonderful Stay”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 10, 2011

My husband and I were visiting NYC for the first time and I have to say staying at this hotel really enhanced our stay. The decor is fab and there is a nice relaxed atmoshphere in the hotel. Our room was a decent size (but am not sure we may have been upgraded) and we loved the fancy loo! The bed was amazing and our room was really quiet (we had asked for this). The location of this hotel is second to none - less than one minute walk to Times Square and most of the sights are within walking distance - we only had to use subway once going to Statute of Liberty. Michael the hotel porter and Bradley on reception were extremely helpful during our stay and deserve a big shout out.
The only downside for us came after we had checked out. We had a late flight and asked if it would be possible for us to have a room to change in before we left for the airport (I would think that this was a reasonable request considering the amount of money we paid to stay here). When we returned from shopping we were told that a changing room was available at the SPA, however, when we went down to the SPA we were asked to wait at the pool area (with our bags). We were disgusted and complained immediately to reception who then allocated a bedroom for us to use. The SPA staff actually wanted us to stand by the pool for 15 mins. Not acceptable to treat guests this way in any star hotel never mind 5 star.
It was unfortunate that this happened as our stay at the hotel, prior to this, was very good.

Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (293)
  • Arabic first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
New York, NY
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 9, 2011

We live in Brooklyn and just stayed at the Chatwal, redeeming Starwood points for one night to celebrate our anniversary. They upgraded us to a queen suite at check in and even sent up a "happy anniversary" dessert during our stay (though I read about someone else's anniversary champagne on the board... we didn't pay for the room I suppose!). They also graciously let us have a late 4 pm check out, which really enhanced the experience of our stay. Glad to see a Luxury Collection value elite starwood members and those redeeming points for a stay, we didn't feel like second class citizens one bit.

The decor makes you feel like you're in a deluxe cabin on the Orient Express. Amazing art deco fixtures, mirrored everything, suede walls, leather door pulls... very serene and rich and indulgent. The bathrooms are up there with the nicest I've experienced. I really appreciate hotels giving thought to the bathroom being indulgent, I'd much rather have a to-die-for rain shower than extra useless square footage in the bedroom. The toilets have ruined any other toilets for me, and fancy extras like the "invisible Tv in the mirror" are just so cool :) And I'm asking for one of their robes for Christmas.

Some of the high tech gadgetry backfired on them however, i.e., operating electric drapes from the "mission control" digital board didn't work, bidet remote control in our second bathroom didn't work, we couldn't figure out how to keep the radio on.

Service is top notch. Though our butler did give off a "you clearly aren't used to five star hotels" vibe when we were informed that at a 5 star hotel you should give them the champage to chill so they can prepare it properly, opposed to having them bring up a missized ice bucket without knowing the purpose, as he did. the horror! Also, I appreciate good service but would like the option to iron my own shirt opposed to having to send it out for a $15 press, but I'm sure the more typical guest demographic wouldn't expect anything else.

Great special stay, will go back for our next staycation! One of our fav Luxury Collection experiences!

Room Tip: our "courtyard" i.e., alley facing room on the 3rd floor didn't get much natural light...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Byram Nj
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 8, 2011

Amazing place. Celebrated a work anniversary in NYC and stayed at The Chatwal. Fantastic staff willing to cater to your every need. Everyone I had any contact with was polite, profesional, and knowledgable. The very modern chair in the hotel room was the most comfortable thing I have ever experienced. Expensive, but worth every penny. Five star hotel with five star staff and attention to detail.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Denver, Colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 3, 2011

I travel to NYC frequently for business but had not stayed at the Chatwal until last weekend when my wife and I celebrated our anniversary. While the suite had a goofy layout it was spacious and had two full bathrooms, which is great for our marriage. The Chatwal service was superb and the concierge in particular was extremely helpful. They had a bottle of champagne waiting at check-in, arranged for an in-room couples massage with 20 minutes notice, got us into two hard to access lounges and were overall excellent in every way. A very memorable experience and I will definitely return.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 2, 2011

Service was wonderful. Staff was very attentive and polite at all levels.
The Lambs Club prepared a great lunch as well as dinner. Breakfasts were a non event and became boring over a five day stay.

If reliable wifi service is a requirement check before going to see if the problems have been fixed. I could not get a signal to stay up for more than a couple of minutes.

The staff said the problem was being worked on. I expected it would be resolved in a few hours. No change over the entire stay. Very inconvenient. The French Bistro across the street had great signal but you had to go there to get it.

Room Tip: Get the JR suite...not the plain room
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
St. Louis, Missouri
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 1, 2011

I will get the few flaws out of the way: yes, the wireless service is not perfect (though it is fine and also complimentary). The gym is a little small with good basic weights and a couple top notch treadmills, one elliptical and one bike.
Now...the WOW:
Kind, eager and excellent service. The average hotel employee has difficulty, in my experience, concealing a degree of sulk and "what am I doing here with these idiots?". Not so at the Chatwal: clearly well trained to appear always pleasant, helpful and also know how to adapt to the needs of hotel guests. Yeah...
The rooms and bathrooms are uber comfortable: amazing beds, easy temperature control, yes...heated toilets -which may be addictive-the best robes and slippers, a great collection of books and magazines, great desks for laptops, a very good offering of drinks and snacks, butler service etc...
Also: great concierge, a heated pool, really good restaurant on site.

My favorite NYC hotel now.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled on business
Toronto
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 26, 2011

This is a nice luxury hotel in a great location. The staff are excellent and try very hard in most cases. However, I thought that I should warn others who intend to use the Internet that there were severe problems for the 6 days that I was there. The wireless connection drops every 5 minutes and its difficult to reconnect, making it sometimes unusable. I have several devices that I have used in numerous hotels, and I checked with other guests, and it was clearly a problem for others as well.

I complained several times to the hotel, but they said the connection was provided by an external service provider, and therefore ducked responsibility. The rooms do have wired connections, but they are not maintained and tested, so mine was not working and I had to ask for another room and cable, and eventually at least got a good wired connection. The good wired speed showed that it was an internal problem with the hotel wireless, not a problem with their provider.

Everything else was what you would expect from a top luxury hotel, but the wireless was not what many would consider acceptable for a top luxury business hotel.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business