“very nice hotel” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #43 of 467 Hotels in New York City
vienna
“very nice hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 31, 2011

The Chatwal is a very nice hotel conveniently located close to time square, but in a relatively quite side street.
When we checked in we realized that we had not been upgraded (we would have been entitled to an upgrade as LHW members - the hotel is no longer a LHW member)
Although a bit disappointed we took our suite: the 608. It was nice and big, slightly dark. The room, however, was not really quite and we could hear the noise of the street at night.
The morning after we found a message which informed us we were upgrade to a one room apartment: the 801-802. The room was simply great. Lighter that the 608 and definitely quite. No noise disturbed us.
The personnel was very friendly and helpful, the concierge tried to help us to recover the luggage which did not arrive with us.
In summary they all were helpful and accommodating.
I can definitely recommend this hotel and will definitely go back next time I am in NY

Room Tip: 801-802 perfect for family with kids. 608 noisy. 7th floor has rooms with terraces
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank sscc0404

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (293)
  • Arabic first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
Hamilton, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 29, 2011

Although I travel extensively on business (and stay at the usual places - Fairmont, Four Seasons, Westin, etc.), we decided to stay here for 5 days in July on a summer vacation with our daughters. The room (Queen suite) was outstanding, the atmosphere and location ideal, but what really made the stay so wonderful was the friendly, impeccable service from everyone we dealt with. The concierge helped us to get great tickets to a couple of shows and was bang on with his restaurant recommendations, the reception and bell staff were always smiling and helpful, and even the maintenance staff member we dealt with briefly was extremely service-oriented (we had a minor problem with our in-room safe, which was solved within minutes). We will definitely be back on our future visits to NYC!

• Stayed July 2011
      Location
      Rooms
Oud-Heverlee, Belgium
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 28, 2011

When I fell in love with the city, my quest for the most complete hotel began! NYC means nothing to me without a flawless haven, so I am looking for that indissoluble synergy. It took me 5 years to find a hotel that blew me away. And yes, I am a very demanding traveller, so every little detail of the hotel has got to be perfect. But when you wake up with a glow on your face, that moment, you know that you have found a true treasure. So I present to you, The Chatwal hotel NY

From the moment you enter The Chatwal it is like taking a step back into time. You are welcomed with a true smile and genuine openness. After a few moments you notice the unique aroma of the hotel. Yes, they have their own special custom-made scent. You feel safe, you feel at home and you cannot wait to explore this heaven of tranquillity.

After check-in a gentleman guides you to your room. When you step in the elevator and you walk down the corridors, you notice the unbelievably warm colours and fabrics. And all of a sudden, after 12 hours of traveling, you are smiling. Now, that is what I call magic.

The rooms are decorated with great precision. It feels as if they were an inspiration to Agatha Christie’s Murder on the Orient Express. Immediately you can relive the grandeur of The magnificent 30’s. Pure opulence and impeccable detailing are the best way to describe the hotel rooms. Let me start with the closet because it is a real eye catcher. The heavy doors and the wooden interior make you want to unpack immediately. Behind the heavy immaculate doors you can find a true luxurious trunk. The one Serge Gainsbourg would love to paint on. And then the striking Noguchi coffee table took my breath away. On top I found a book that was created by some of the gods of fashion, Vanity Fair: The Portraits. Design and fashion, well nothing can bedazzle me more.

You can judge a hotel by its bathrooms and that is what I did. When I entered the bathroom I fell in love for the 3rd time that day. This is beyond perfection, they are covered in marble and the pure architectural lavatories emphasize the sumptuous feeling. And what can I tell you about the Toto toilets? They are featuring all the high tech you need. You just have to try them yourself.

The flawless nature of this hotel has an extension, the Lambs Club. After a warm welcome I always love to take place in the middle of the restaurant. When you are sipping from your astonishing sour cocktail you have to take a look around. Gorgeously dressed Upper East Side ladies are debating over the latest Chanel Collection. Distinctive gentlemen are talking million-dollar business. Or at least, I like to imagine they are. Now, let me talk about the Tuna salad. Tuna and salad sounds pretty boring and most of the time it is. But oh my the tuna salad at the Lambs Club does not look like an ordinary tuna salad at all. Accompanied by a little surprise dish from the chef, I was in awe! The taste was refreshing and phenomenal, beyond perfection.

The photo's will give a glimpse of the Chatwal Hotel and the extraordinary detailing.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank GeGefromBelgium
Cypress, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 27, 2011

Every member of the staff was friendly, professional, and helpful. The room was immaculate and beautiful. This new hotel has everything I want and in a convenient location. The bathroom was high tech, but easy to operate - I loved the TV hidden in the mirror and the heated seat. More hangers in the closet than I could ever use. The ammenities were top notch. Room service in the a.m. was prompt and the food was delicious. I have stayed at the Michaelangelo in the past, but The Chatwal will be my new NYC location.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Oxfordshire, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 25, 2011

I stayed here for two nights last week and will definitely be back. The hotel achieves its desired aim of a "boutique" feel, has incredibly friendly staff and the rooms are great. Admittedly I was upgraded to a junior suite with a roof terrace(!) but the furnishings were of a high standard and would, I am sure, be consistent throughout this relatively new hotel. I loved the Asprey bathroom goodies, too.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
USA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 22, 2011

I stayed at The Chatwal in NYC recently, and I highly recommend this hotel. The rooms are immaculately clean, the beds are very comfortable, the location is excelent, and the service is great. Enjoy it!!!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
Portland, Oregon
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 18, 2011

Making one or two day trips to New York from the west coast can be tiring, so the hotel selection makes a huge difference. I was in New York for less than 36 hours and The Chatwal made my trip so much more comfortable.

First, I arrived hours before check-in. I did not make arrangements for early check-in and it was just overall poor planning on my part. The staff at the Chatwal got my wife and I into our room hours before check-in, so I could shower and get prepared for an afternoon meeting. Second, they took my suit from me in the lobby and had it pressed and ready to go in my room, giving me plenty of time to get ready for my meeting.

I did not plan well for this arrival at all. My fault. But, the staff at The Chatwal did everything they could to make my day seamless and easy.

Also, the hotel itself is really nice. It feels really new and really clean. The rooms are big, well decorated and comfortable.

No need to stay at any of the dated usual suspects like the Ritz Carlton, St. Regis or Penninsula. Stay at The Chatwal, its the best in New York.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled on business