“Perfect birthday weekend!”

Ranked #38 of 466 Hotels in New York City
Greenville, South Carolina
“Perfect birthday weekend!”
Reviewed June 9, 2011

Just returned from 3 nights at The Chatwal for my wife's 40th birthday. Booked this hotel after reading reviews on trip advisor. I can't imagine how someone could have a bad experience here. I've stayed at high end hotels all over the country, and this was as nice as any I've experienced. The service was outstanding. The concierges Nick and Pierre helped me with an itinerary before we arrived. A surprise birthday pie for my wife was waiting on us in our room after a day touring the city. The location was perfect for us... very close to Times Square, yet you never knew it at night. We couldn't hear any noise from our room. We were tourists but felt like royal visitors! Our room was spacious (theater room) and the bathroom was unbelievable. The linens and attention to detail throughout the room were as good as it gets. The next time we visit New York we will stay here again because we know it's a sure thing.

Room Tip: Booked on booking.com, requested a room high up
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank travel7271

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (304)
  • Arabic first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
York, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 5, 2011

this was our first family holiday in New York - we were staying for 5 nights, with two adults and two children (12 and 16 year old girls). After searching for a hotel that had joining rooms we found the Chatwal and booked a suite with two bedrooms and a lounge, and the price was lower than we expected. The rooms are recently decorated and all the facilities worked just fine (including the TV in the bathroom mirror and the heated loo seat!!). the hotel staff were very helpful and courteous - it made it a pleasure to return after a hard day of shopping and sigh seeing!. The hotel style is like somthing out of a Bogart movie and very art deco, but the street view does not do it justice - you need to go inside!
My wife and children have already asked to go back and they are not easily pleased - so this must be a good endorsement!

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank Jon036
San Francisco, California
Reviewed June 3, 2011

I stayed at the Chatwal for two days based on Trip Advisor reviews. It was a great boutique hotel experience. The rooms are small but well done. The bathroom was a tight squeeze too, but with high-end finishes. Fitness room - same thing. The location is excellent - close to Times Square. On the downside, my wake up calls came 10-15 minute late in each of the two days I was there, and the toilet broke (not me, I swear) which added some stress to very tight schedule. They also forgot my newspaper which they said would be delivered each day. My rate came with daily continental breakfast at the hotel's restaurant - the basket of rolls and pastries were better than most bakeries I have ever visited - well done! Even with a couple of kinks, the overall experience was great and I'm already booked to stay there again on my next trip.

Room Tip: Get room away from the street
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
2 Thank max_umami
toronto
Reviewed June 2, 2011

One of the best hotels I have ever stayed in, stayed last week of may for 3 nights. Very comfortable bed, great location, loved the bar and lounge, very luxerious. The staff was excellent. I will definitely be back. Oh and free wifi in the rooms, if you don't have a
Laptop u can use one of there's .

1 Thank atlantisluver
Highland, New York
Reviewed May 26, 2011

From the moment we walked into the Chatwal we were impressed with the staff and the beautiful decor of the lobby. Everyone was friendly, courteous and extremely welcoming. We were shown to our room by one of the bellhops who was exceedingly polite and gave us a tour of our room. Upon our arrival we were assigned a personal butler, Brandon. Brandon was very helpful when my husband wanted to order me flowers. Brandon went out of his way to see that our every need was met. We were just settling into our beautifully decorated room when the front desk clerk called to inform us that he was upgrading us to a one bedroom suite in honor of our 15th wedding anniversary. Upon enterering our new suite we found a card thanking us for staying with at the Chatwal and wishing us a very happy anniversary along with a lovely box of chocolates. The level of luxury is amazing and the staff just incredible. We cannot stress enough how warm and welcoming the Chatwal staff truly is. They treat each and every guest with the utmost respect & courtesy. We highly recommend this hotel to anyone looking to be pampered in the heart of Time Square. We cannot imagine staying anywhere else in New York and enjoying our stay as much. Don't hesitate to book a room here!

3 Thank mrsalfa
toronto
Reviewed May 25, 2011

This hotel is so great in every respect- there is no nicer room in nyc. the lobby and lamb's club is beautiful, you feel like you are on a set of madmen. The service is as good as it gets and because the hotel is small they actually know who you are. Nick and Pierre took care of every single need at the concierage and all the staff make you feel comfortable at every turn. I have never stayed near times square before thinking it was not the best location but it is actually great- the hotel is completely quiet despite being so close to the action and its easy to get cabs anywhere from there- a nice middle point between mid town and going downtown. and no hotel in new york can give you a washroom that nice or a balcony if you want so large to dine outside! (we came to nyc for a special 50th birthday for my wife and the hotel arranged everything from a horse and carraige ride to central park right from hotel to beautiful rose petals on the bed, and much much more- can't wait to go back

Skippack, Pennsylvania
Reviewed May 23, 2011

Stayed here for a family weekend in NYC. Have been to NYC many times for business/pleasure and don't really like Times Square, but this hotel was worth it. Service was impeccable and rooms were very comfortable. The bathrooms had whirlpool tubs and rain shower heads and very nice amenities. Only complaint was that the water didn't get quite as hot as either my husband or I would have liked. Also, parking seemed expensive at $60 for one night, but I haven't checked the rates recently so that might be average. We stayed here on Starwood points, so can't really speak to the overall value, but I would definitely stay here again if I wanted to be in that part of the city.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with family