“Great food, excellent value”

Dafni Greek Taverna
Ranked #767 of 13,554 Restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: Mediterranean, Greek
Good for: Dining on a budget, Kids, Families with children, Romantic, Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Brunch, Dinner, Delivery, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Midtown
Cross street: 8th Avenue
Transit: Times Square NQRW, 123, S, close to Port Authority ACE.
Monterey, California
“Great food, excellent value”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 20, 2010

My wife and I dined here and were very pleased with all aspects of our experience. We thought the food was as good or better than any Greek food we have had, especially the Moussaka. The food, wine and beer were very reasonably priced for New York and the service was very attentive. The immediate neighborhood is not a sightseers delight but it is close to Times Square and the Port Authority Bus terminal. Most memorably, a young person seated at the front of the restaurant, who probably had to much to drink, became loud and obnoxious and the manager immidiately dealt with the problem and we were able to dine in peace.

Bermuda
“very good food and location”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 23, 2010

stopped here before catching a show, the location near Times Square makes it ideal for that. The food was great. We left wishing we had ordered appetiser portions of our dinners, as we had left so much un-eaten. Great food and lots of it!

Isle of Man, United Kingdom
“What a find”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 19, 2010

My daughter and I walking en route to the circle line cruises and stumbled on this supurb restaurant, From the moment we walked in to leaving, we were enthralled by the personal service, the quality of the food and the reasonable prices.
We loved it so much that we went back the following night when my daughter's boyfriend arrived from Virginia. Same great food, different people serving and as good.
Have taken their details and going to recommend to all our friends who visit New York

Houston, TX
“Average to above average Greek food”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 6, 2010

Had a late lunch at this little bistro. The waitress was very attentive and friendly. Of course, she didn't have any other customers, but friendly and attentive none the less. We've eaten Greek food all over the world. this is not the best, but certainly not the worst. They have a fairly limited menu. Mostly the easier Greek dishes, like shishkebab, moussaka, and the like, but what they have is carried off pretty well. We always judge a Greek restaurant by the taramosalata. If they don't have it, they're a gyro shop, not a Greek restaurant. This one has it, and it is pretty good. The prices are reasonable too. We paid $32 with tip for a salad with chicken and two appetizers. Portions are decent too. I recommend it for a healthy meal at a reasonable price in this area of town.

New York
“Hip Greek Restaurant Found Amidst Times Square”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 5, 2010

Dafni Greek Taverna is a seductively hip dining destination that enjoys the benefit of being the coolest restaurant in the heart of Times Square. It is located amongst the filth of 42nd Street and directly across from the Port Authority Bus Terminal, which makes it convenient for commuters and appealing to tourists.

I was recently meeting a friend for a movie in the area and, after reading so many fabulous reviews, thought this would be the perfect spot at which to dine before the film. My friend asked if I thought we would need reservations, but I turned down the inquiry stating that the place should be rather empty on a Wednesday evening around 6:15-6:30 pm. Well, I have no idea where that notion came from, because the place was packed! I was luckily able to grab the lone remaining table and sat to await my friend's arrival.

My companion soon appeared, and we began to plan our course of action on this massive menu. Gus, who was quite possibly the most considerate waiter ever, came to greet us and to help interpret the wine list. Both the Greek reds and whites were broken out by well-known "International varietals" (Sauvignon Blancs, Chardonnays, Pinots, etc.) and more regional Greek blends. I asked Gus to recommend any form of white that was a bit on the sweeter side. He seemed to think I had been referring solely to the international varieties and said that I might enjoy their Sauvignon Blanc, though clarified that it was fruity but not tart. He offered to bring a small taste for my consideration. After a brief sip, I was satisfied, but not intrigued. He then returned with samples of a Chardonnay and a Chard-Pinot Grigio blend, both of which were even less appealing to my palate. I told him that I would definitely be interested in trying a Mediterranean flavor as well. He did not even break a sweat as he dashed back to the bar and returned with a delicate Greek white. This type was the best by far, and I delighted in the idea of trying something new.

With stemmed glasses in hand and menu advice from Gus, we were armed and ready to eat. We began our meal with warm pita triangles and the Taramosalata fish roe spread. The dip had been infused with potatoes, though I could swear that I recalled that starchy vegetable often being served as a separate spread. Regardless, the dip was just decent. It was infused with lemon and olive oil, but lacked the salty, fishy flavor we were looking for. The potato element was too prominent and powerfully dominated the aftertaste.

The Grilled Octopus appetizer was served over shredded carrots and lettuce, all marinated in herbs and red wine. The octopus had an oddly mushy, over-tender consistency, but the dish did possess a clean, balanced flavor. Their massive version of the Greek Salad was packed with fresh ingredients and tossed in a well-seasoned dressing. It was the highlight of the meal.

Lastly, we decided to share the Seafood Brochette, which contained grilled shrimp, scallops, and calamari. The shellfish were all well-cooked, but the shrimp were by far the best. The seafood was served over a bed of what should have been rice pilaf, but which we substituted for Spanakorizo, a rice stuffed with spinach, onion, and herbs. Or, rather, we had requested that exchange. The dish incorrectly displayed the bland, ordinary pilaf instead, which we passively accepted. The course was enjoyable, but nothing spectacular.

Though we were delighted by Gus, our full and marginally satisfied stomachs could not endure dessert, so we wrapped up our affordable meal and decided that we would not be rushing back to Dafni. The restaurant was intimate, stylish, and convenient, so it provided a decent option for that particular evening, but I doubt that I will ever declare a need to return.