“good food in generous portions”

Dafni Greek Taverna
Reserve with OpenTable
Dafni Greek Taverna is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1,133 of 14,526 Restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: Greek
Good for: Families with children, Romantic, Business meetings, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Midtown
Cross street: 8th Avenue
Transit: Times Square NQRW, 123, S, close to Port Authority ACE.
Reviewed June 6, 2014

While on a weekend trip to NYC my husband and I met a cousin at Dafni for dinner. We had not made reservations but were there early (after a theater matinee). Initially the hostess said she could not seat us for 60-90 minutes, even though there were several empty tables (presumably they were reserved). We were going to look for someplace else but it was pouring rain, so we gave our name. Luckily after about 15 minutes she found us a table.
I had the Greek salad with grilled calamari, which had very good flavor. My husband and our cousin both had lamb shank in a tomato-based sauce. The meat was very tender but our cousin thought the sauce was too sweet, though my husband liked it. We shared baklava for dessert, which was fine. Portions were generous and prices were reasonable.
The dining room was noisy but had a pleasant look and vibe.

1  Thank freedshop

Reviewed May 23, 2014

This was a pre theatre reservation and when we arrived it was pretty crowded. Prompt and pleasant service with huge helpings. I found the taramasalata fairly bland and my chicken breasts needed a spicy or garlic sauce like those offered in London. Overall the service was good and we were out in good time for the Show

1  Thank brian_uk12000
Reviewed May 13, 2014

We stopped in this restaurant after our Circle Line Boat Tour of Lower Manhattan. Food was great, gyros were filling, and service was perfect. Restaurant was clean and well-decorated. We thoroughly enjoyed our lunch

Reviewed May 13, 2014

This little treasure is in such an unlikely location I would never have found it on my own. It was recommended a few years ago and I have been going ever since. Stuck on 42nd Street across from Port Authority is not a likely oplace for great meals, but go there anyway! The food is wonderful and pretty authentic and the service is always a pleasure.
We had, as always, the Saganaki - which is a hot melted cheese you eat with pita - as an appetizer. This is my favorite thing and I could eat just this all night! We also had tzaziki, which was really garlicky and delicious. The only appetizer that was just ok was the Calamari, but I don't know why we ordered this in a Greek restaurant. Stick to the Italian places for this.
My lamb gyro plate was fabulous. The lamb was tender and the rice was great. There was too much food to finish.
My friends had Greek Salad, which was full of interesting ingredients, and broiled chicken, which was plain, but fine. We didn't have room for dessert, but I have had the baklava here in the past and it is good.
The dining room was packed and a bit noisy. I have never seen it this busy before. Perhaps the word is spreading. Be sure to make reservations, especially pre-theater.

Reviewed May 10, 2014

OK, this isn't Astoria. You aren't in a multi-generation Greek neighborhood. That not-withstanding, Dafni does a solid job. We dropped early on a Saturday after a matinee theater show. We had reservations for later, but they seated us w/o any issues (it wasn't that busy yet). The services was attentive and courteous. The menu reasonably extensive, though I would have liked to have seen some more olive options in the appetizers. We ordered the Saganaki for appetizer. My wife and I ordered veggie entrees and my son had lamb. The veggie moussaka was delicious. My wife's grilled vegetables were only OK. My son raved about his lamb chops. All in all a good experience at a reasonable orice. We enjoyed ourselves.

1  Thank PhilQ3