“Poor, very poor”

Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Neighborhood: Midtown
Reviewed August 16, 2015 via mobile

I have never left a very negative review before but the meal this evening was both very poor and very expensive. Given this was our first meal out on our family holiday, and that everyone had been looking forward to "eating at TGIs" it was also very disappointing.

First things first, alongside a general feeling of tiredness, with a hint of needing a good clean too, the place did not seem very organised. It took two people to go upstairs and check if they had room for the 6 of us followed by one shouting over the bannister to tell us to come up.

We then ordered our drinks and food. The drinks arrived after 5-10 minutes but that was he last we saw or heard of our waitress until, about 45 minutes later, we chased for the food. At no time did anyone ask if wanted any refills. The hand wipes they had provided were then not cleared for the entire meal either. I had thought waiting staff were trained to keep an eye on all their tables all the time but clearly not this time.

Clearly the staff were under pressure for some reason but there were too few and they weredisorganised and poorly trained. Sure they had time for what looked like some pretty heated discussions, and to disappear off for lengthy periods, but there was no sign of anyone, senior or junior, going the extra mile to help out if there was a shortfall. In fact one poor family thought they had been called up only to be told, halfway up the stairs including a buggy, that they were the wrong family and to get back downstairs.

Once we chased, the food eventually arrived by which time the jet lagged kids were almost asleep anyway. Were we offered more drinks when the food arrived? Nope. Did the meals arrive together? Nope too.

The best for last though. I had been minded to leave a small tip as I know it is important to staff and clearly something was badly awry. I then received the bill though to which the waitress had circled the gratuity recommendations and that service was not included. Certainly a first for everything I guess...

When I commented that the service had been bad the waitress said "you had service, I served your food...". So $0 it was, again I think for the first time.

I have eaten in many TGIs and until now regarded them as pretty decent food in a fun and family-friendly setting. This was anything back. And the punchline....a $166 bill for 6 drinks and 6 mains and I can't even recheck the bill as I never got it back.

Dreadful, so bad in fact that I can only assume something was awry somewhere behind the scenes. Not so bad that they can't charge full prices mind.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,177)

Reviewed August 16, 2015

Stopped here looking for bite to eat before our show. We seated ourselves on second floor. There were 2 waitresses in our area. It was dark and dingy and it had that dirty carpet/floor smell. We just ordered appetizers and iced tea. Waitress was very nice and attentive. Tables and floor sticky and silverware dirty. After 25 mins food came ....everything tasted just ok. Honestly couldn't wait to get outta there. Prices are outrageous ....$4 for one iced tea! Will never go back.

Reviewed August 14, 2015

A very convenient restaurant off Time Square on 7th Avenue. The first floor has a bar atmosphere with some high tables good for a quick drink or two. On the second floor I had a boneless chicken wings and two beers meal after a busy day of sightseeing. Service was very slow, food was okay and the beers were refreshing.

Reviewed August 13, 2015 via mobile

Amazing location and a very attentive waiter who was simply wonderful. But that's where it starts to go downhill.

The lime wedge on my corona was not clean.
The table was dirty
The food lived up to its reputation of being world over.

People, stop wasting your time and money and hoping that TGIF has any of its tester year quality.

Reviewed August 11, 2015 via mobile

Visited TGI's twice during my 6 night stay in New York, the staff are excellent very friendly and efficient.

Great atmosphere and location, If you like steaks, burgers and ribs well worth a visit.