“Don't Hesitate..Book It!”

Ranked #181 of 468 Hotels in New York City
Orlando, Fl
“Don't Hesitate..Book It!”
Reviewed May 19, 2010

First let me say if you want to be treated kindly, greeted with a smile and your requests delivered, look no further! The staff greeted us with cupcakes and smiles. We were given the room we booked through TravelZoo and Festus brought our bags and explained the what's what of our room. The concierge helped us with Maps and directions on the subway, detailing routes and fares to our destinations. Room service is FAST! The restaurant RARE has delicious hamburgers. Our King Size room was perfect for two, comfortable bed, flat screen TV, Keurig coffee maker. The closet space is small for two people. There is a dresser but I still had to use the desk chair to hang a few clothes. But that's typical for Manhattan hotels. We got a great deal $179 a night so I can't complain. We enjoyed our stay and regretted not booking all 7 days there.

2 Thank TravLin93

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (575)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Alexandria, Virginia
Reviewed May 19, 2010

Completed a 5 night stay at the then 2 week old Wyndham Fashion 26. Very friendly staff eager to please, very responsive to requests when items in the room needed refreshing such as towels or coffee supplies. The bed was extremely comfortable, room on the small-ish side but normal for this market. The hotel seemed quiet even with high occupancy and our room directly across from the elevators we heard little noise and little street noise. Great central location with close access to subways. Whole Foods 2 blocks awayl for snacks etc.

1 Thank SeasonedTravelerSF
Washington DC
Reviewed May 18, 2010

This hotel ranks up there with many of the better boutique hotels in NYC (the Muse, etc.). In many ways it's typical for NYC - smallish rooms, thin walls, etc.

What truly makes this hotel stand out though is that they have fabulous customer service. I had called a day or so before arriving to ask if early check in would be an option. I spoke with Lynda who was very helpful over the phone. When I checked in, it was with Lynda, who not only remembered me, but had even blocked a room for me knowing that I'd be in early. When have you ever had this happen to you in NYC!? She's a doll - and was always super helpful during my stay (Wayne, if you're reading this - I meant to mention her by name to you yesterday!).

To comment on other reviews - the beds are super comfy, the bathrooms were a nice size, and the rooms were clean. I found the WiFi service to be great - so they must have resolved this since some of the previous reviewers visits. I do agree - turn down service is nonexistent. Will that prevent me from staying there - absolutely not. They are still working out some kinks, but they really are trying super hard to make sure that each guest has a great experience - which to me speaks volumes. I really enjoyed my stay here and will return some day soon.

PS Can't wait to see the rooftop bar!

• Stayed May 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank starbucksaholic
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed May 17, 2010

I learned of this new hotel on Travelzoo. There were 2 rates, $179 for the standard room and $239 for a Club room, which was the top two floors, better view, amenities, breakfast at Rare. I splurged and booked the Club room. The hotel was still under construction and they were doing the stone in the front of the hotel and hanging the sign. We were greeted by a friendly bellhop and helped with our luggage while one of us sat in the car.

The lobby is very small and as expected was crowded for 3 PM checkin. The mint chocolate chip minicupcakes given out at the front desk were delicious. When we arrived to check in, I was told that we were on the 20th floor that I was upgraded to a King. I asked how it was an upgrade since I had booked the better room. She insisted that I was in the correct room and that the only difference between the two rooms was that breakfast was included with one and not the other. I said that I thought $60 per night was quite an increase for breakfast. She said that it had additional amenties. I asked what those were and she could not tell me. We went to the room, which was small and nice, but the view was of the roof of the adjacent building and water tower. We tried to go to the rooftop bar for a drink, but it is still under construction like the front of the hotel and will not open for another week.

We went to dinner that evening in the hotel restaurant, Rare. The waitress was wonderful and extremely accommodating to our friends who were arriving one at a time. The burgers were delicious. The location of the hotel was great, convenient to walking, subway, cabs. Tip: We found a parking garage a block away. I had printed out coupons on http://nyc.centralparking.com and the garage on 26th st between 6th ave and broadway was only $25 overnight with this coupon, a savings of about $26 per night. While I am mentioning the neighborhood, there was a great nail place on the block, called 775 nail or somethign like that, and I highly recommend the spa pedicure.

The bath is small with a great pressure shower. There was one cotton waffle bathrobe, proper hairdryer. The bedroom had a small closet, safe, iron with one of those mini ironing boards which are useless, 5 drawers, desk, chair, minibar. The bed was very comfortable with great pillows and a great bodysize pillow that divided the bed in two or worked as a headrest. There was no ice bucket and nowhere to get ice, which was strange, but they did bring it to the room when we called down. The room had a coffee maker with individual coffee, but had only one creamer and they did not replace the sugar or creamer the next day. We left about $4 of quarters on the desk and the housekeeping took what they must have considered a tip the day before we checked out, which was somewhat unusual. They delivered the New York times daily. There is a menu in the room, a coupon for a nearby spa, a one pager on the internet access, but nothing about the hotel, i.e. fitness center, business center and nothing on the area other than a magazine.

The next morning, I logged onto the website with the use of the free wireless internet, which was spotty and kept kicking me off. I confirmed that we were not in a club room, which is only the top 2 floors, although my printed reservation said that I had booked a club room. I called down to the front desk and asked for a supervisor. I was transferred, but the woman would not answer me when I asked repeatedly if I was in a club room. She said that she would send up the additional amenities. Then she said that she would move us, but I had unpacked and did not wish to move. Despite asking 5 times, she never admitted that I was not in a club room. I asked to speak to her boss. I was told that I would receive a call back in an hour. I received the call back from Ms. D'Allesandro, the Director of Reception. I explained that I had paid for the club room, but was not put in the club room. I explained that I had tried to sort it out at check in and with the front desk supervisor, but that I did not wish to repack and move, but wanted to be charged the correct rate. She immediately agreed to charge the $179 and sent up the upgraded amenities, which were slippers and larger sized shampoo, conditioner and lotion. It could have been easily remedied by putting us in the right room in the first place or admitting a mistake, but to make me go to a third person to correct it was unforgiveable and the reason that I felt the need to write this review. I tried several times to checkout over the tv, but it did not work although we could check our bill this way.

The hotel is nice because it is new. The rate was great and should be because of the ongoing construction. Chelsea is a fun area and a convenient location. The bellman were friendly. The restaurant staff was very good, friendly and offered excellent customer service and I would visit Rare again. The front desk staff, including the supervisor, could use some training in customer service. It was a beautiful weekend and I am sorry that the roofdeck bar was not yet open. I would stay there again if the rate was similar for the location.

1 Thank kathady
Texas
Reviewed May 17, 2010

My wife and I were in town for a wedding and this hotel suited our needs. It's equidistant from Central Park and the Financial District so well located. Couple issues with things in the room like the shades and the TV but expected as the hotel is only a month old. Hotel staff was very friendly and competent. The best part was I paid $200/night all-in for the room.

Miami Beach, Florida
Reviewed May 17, 2010

I arrived on May 12, just before 3:00 pm and was warmly greeted by the door gentleman and checked in with Kyria, who was professional, friendly and helpful at the front desk. I was staying from May 12 until May 16, 2010. She went one step further in service when she asked Martin to bring my suitcase up with me up to my room (#601). SInce this was my first visit to this hotel, he showed me some of the features (clock, phone, television, mini fridge, lighting, etc.) of this room.

The room was beautifully appointed with a special robe, soft, white towels, bath products from England, LG Flat Screen television, which was easy to operate, Keurig coffee maker, etc. My room was super quiet and faced an office building, which was nice, no street noise or sirens were heard.

This hotel was in a great location, close to restaurants and stores. Leonard, from Security always had a kind and welcoming word each time we passed in the lobby.

There were two computer systems and a printer which were nicely placed in a side area near the front desk.

So, I found 90% of this hotel, excellent. As I am writing this review, I trying to focus mostly on the Excellent qualities of this hotel.

The 10% Not Good was Housekeeping area but more directly to the turn down service, which was not only non existent but the woman was rude to me.

In a nutshell, the timeline goes like this:

May 12th, no turn down service, May 13th, no turn down service, May 14th, at 7:30 p.m., a knock at the door where this woman (I did not catch her name) asked me if I wanted any extra towels. I mentioned that I was okay with the towels and she left. My last night, May 15th, I heard her go into the next room, knocked on the door and called out for her and she stepped out so I could ask her if there was any turndown service for the guests that I did not get that service provided. She basically said "ok", over and over again. I thought there may be a language barrier here.

She told me that she had asked me the night before if I needed towels, She actually explained to me the turndown service and was not friendly at all about it. Little did I know as i guest that if I refused more towels that meant no turndown either for me. At this point, I did not want her in my room and put a Do Not Disturb sign on my door knob and went out for a walk - it upset me to be spoken like that.

In closing, Lynda, who is super professional and kind, helped check me out and had been helpful earlier in the stay when Housekeeping had the wrong check out date for me. In all honestly, Sandra of Housekeeping was very efficient and friendly. Each day I left a tip to show my gratitude for her cleaning my room.

As I was brought out to the curb, one of the good points of this hotel is Eddie, who hailed a cab for me and loaded my suitcase in the trunk, thanked me for my stay and said that the staff would all be here when I returned on my next visit to NYC.

That is Customer Service!

• Stayed May 2010, traveled on business
2 Thank Leigherton
la
Reviewed May 17, 2010

modern decor is all the rage and lots of hotels do it right. however, not the low to mid range chains who interpret clean design to mean washable wallpaper and cheap carpet. fashion 26 is not like the ace or the thompson LES or even the W, it is a cheapish hotel with a theme and really bad service.

came for a romantic weekend, arrived early and let the desk know my "friend" would be paying for the room and checking us in, yet when he arrived, he was left to cool his heels in the lobby until i got there. for some reason, they listened to my request, said, "OK," then didn't bother to input his name into the computer. later, my important ups package was delivered to the wrong room and didn't reappear for over 24 hours.

yea, there's cupcakes, but put a cupcake on an ikea table and it's still cheap laminate crap with a cupcake sitting on it.

it's a big thumbs down for me, however, the opening month price reductions were quite a deal. certainly not worth more than $150 a night, if that.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
MrSchneider, General Manager at Hilton New York Fashion District, responded to this review, May 20, 2010
It is unfortunate that your recent stay did not meet your expectations. We have already received wonderful comments regarding service and design of the hotel. In the short time that we have been open we have received very positive feedback from our guests, some of which you can read in our other Trip Advisor reviews.