“Cost x Benefit”

Hilton New York Fashion District
Ranked #176 of 467 Hotels in New York City
“Cost x Benefit”
Reviewed April 15, 2014

We stayed at the Hilton New York Fashion District on January 2014 and I believe it was a good choice considering cost benefit. The neighbourhood is not atractive but it is not far from more atractive areas and there's a subway station nearby. The hotel is clean, relatively new and follows the standards you would expect from this brand, but the rooms are very small and you can hear every noise in the hallways. The staff at the front desk is not very friendly but they do their job. Anyway, it is not easy to find bigger rooms and friendly staff in NY unless you are willing to pay more...

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank vivi_vai
HiltonNYFashion, Guest Relations Manager at Hilton New York Fashion District, responded to this review, April 16, 2014
Dear vivi_vai,

Thank you for this review and feedback on Hilton New York Fashion District. I regret to hear we fell short on that the service you received by the Front Desk staff did not meet your expectations. The Front Desk Staff often get compliments on how friendly and helpful they are so I apologize that the same quality service was not extended to you during your stay. I have passed on your comment to our Director of Front Office so that further training may take place and so that consistent, top-notch service is provided. I hope that you would consider us again in the future, as we would very sincerely look forward to welcoming you back and providing you with a better experience.

Guest Services Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (585)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed April 14, 2014

Overall I thought the hotel was just fine especially for the Chelsea area and close to relatives and things to do. The beds were very comfortable, the roof was clean if not too roomy with 2 queens and 2 sets of luggage. The closet was extremely small, almost useless (a hotel in Paris's was bigger if that tells you anything). And with 2 women in the room a real problem. The bathroom was quite nice. However we had a couple of major issues here which I have to be resolved with the hotel. The first and most important is we asked for and got a special refrigerator to store very expensive medication for my guest. The problem was one night when we got back from our outings, we discovered the fridge was open, and turned off and her medication bag (a ziplock) had been opened. also the carpet was dirty, and obviously not vacuumed. Otherwise it was fine and things made up. Nothing seemed to have been removed from the fridge, but because the medicine was warmed to room temperature it was unusable and regarded unsafe. It takes a while with this stuff to notice how you feel when you miss a dose (or 2 or 3 in my friend's case), and she now does not feel well at all. She's back home in another country now. No one ever told us even tho we asked several times who was responsible for doing this or discussed it with us again before we left. We were in such a rush to make it to the airport with President Obama having just arrived and snarling traffic, I didn't have time to get into it again with the front desk staff who honestly were not that helpful the first time. I would still like an answer and some compensation for my friend's ruined medication. The other issue was a concierge member, whose name I will not mention booked a cruise for us off Chelsea Pier which took ages to accomplish with me standing right there, all over the phone and taking my credit card, etc, which we discovered after a $13 taxi down to the pier did not exist. The ship had been out of commission for 2 weeks. Since the person the concierge booked the tour with is in Brooklyn, I would assume she would know that. so all that time lost. It took at least another hour later with another concierge member who had no idea who the other person was (what is that about? you don't know your coworkers?) to straighten it out, another lost almost half a day. Supposedly I will get my card refunded. It was just all avoidable and no compensation for the incredible inconvenience not to mention embarrassment on my part as I was acting as host. So there were things I liked fine about the place, but those 2 issues will probably prevent me from staying there again even if I am not traveling with my friend with the medication issues. I picked this hotel not only because of the location but because of the great reviews of the staff. Some were quite nice, but overall the staff experience was spotty and unprofessional and could use major coordination and improvement to make a seamless customer service experience. When there is a serious concern as in our case, I do not want to be "handled" by the staff, I need answers and assistance.

Room Tip: High floor is best due to street noise
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
2 Thank Bridget H
HiltonNYFashion, Guest Relations Manager at Hilton New York Fashion District, responded to this review, April 15, 2014
Dear glamormom,

Please accept our most sincere apologies for your experience with us. We tried our best to resolve your issue however I am sorry to hear that you weren't satisfied with our resolution. I sincerely hope you will consider us again in the future. We can definitely do better, and I would love the opportunity to prove that to you. Please don't hesitate to contact me directly at ahram.suh@hilton.com and I will make every effort to restore your confidence in us. We would look forward to having an opportunity to welcome you back and delivering the level of product and service you have every right to expect from Hilton New York Fashion District.

Long Grove
Reviewed April 10, 2014

Stayed here for a weekend getaway with my daughters. Stayed here once before and glad to return. Great location with easy access to the subway. Within walking distance to the Chelsea market and High line. Many great restaurants within walking distance or a short cab ride. Rooms are not huge but none are in New York. Was on the 22nd floor with great views of the city. Beds are comfy and rooms are not too noisy. Staff was helpful in getting us a cab upon our departure. Will return again.

Room Tip: Higher floors have great views of the city
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Janice M
HiltonNYFashion, Guest Relations Manager at Hilton New York Fashion District, responded to this review, April 11, 2014
Dear Janice M,

It's wonderful to hear you had another great stay with us!
Do not hesitate to contact us when you are planning come back to NYC so we can provide another fantastic stay with us!
Thank you for being a loyal guest at Hilton New York Fashion District!

Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed April 7, 2014

I got room 1502 in the back facing another building. The room was even smaller than the room at Hilton's son DoubleTree in Chelsea (West 29th).

The staff was nice. The room was very clean. The bathroom has an enclosed shower which is a plus. Good size too. As another reviewer mentioned, there are no hooks for the towels.

The queen bed was very comfortable as were the pillows.

I do not think we will be put in a high floor just for asking. I think (but am not sure) it all depends on the price we pay. I paid peanuts. The room was very cheap and on top of that, I am old so I was given a reduction on top of the original reduction.

What a small room. Claustrophobic. I am very short but like huge rooms.

Perhaps the very, very expensive rooms are bigger but I will never know ...

Room Tip: If you do not mind the size of the room, you may stay here. Otherwise, go to Hilton's other son...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank Clara K
HiltonNYFashion, Front Office Manager at Hilton New York Fashion District, responded to this review, April 8, 2014
Dear Clara K,

Thank you very much for sharing your experience on Tripadvisor. I would like to take this moment and apologize for the areas we fell short on. If your travels bring you to New York City we truly hope to see you again!

St. Louis, United States
Reviewed April 7, 2014

This was a very pleasant experience. The staff was so friendly and helpful ... they couldn't do enough to help. The room was small (not unusual in NYC) but adequate. It was clean and the bathroom was nice. The location was good ... only two blocks from the subway. And the price was good.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Dear Ellen A,

We are so excited you had a great stay at our hotel! It is our pleasure to have you stay with us. We truly hope to see you again!

Reviewed April 6, 2014

It's close to restaurants, shops and subway stations. Clean room, fast internet, nice staff. We arrived on a rainy day. We asked front desk staff to borrow umbrellas and were given three - one for each of us - and told to keep them. One of the front desk receptionist was so helpful with information when she learned we were in town to visit colleges, it definitely made a nice impression! Will definitely return or recommend to others. It's also a great value - costs similar to Best Western or alike but is much nicer.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

HiltonNYFashion, Front Office Manager at Hilton New York Fashion District, responded to this review, April 7, 2014
Dear Jeffhe,

Thank you so much for sharing your great experience. We wish you the best of luck with your college visit. We hope when your travels bring you to New York City you decide to stay with us.

We loved having you here!
Ashland, Oregon
Reviewed April 5, 2014

My friend and I came back from a cruise to New York City, and, like most cruises, we disembarked in the morning. Hoping that all would go well, we went directly to the hotel. And, while the room was not ready, we were treated very courteously (not the "what are you doing here?" glaze that I have come across upon occasion). Our bags were taken and safely stored, we were offered bottles of water, and got great help getting a taxi (the young man who did helped with taxis would walk over to the main avenues and hail the taxi for us so we did not have to stand out in the cold rain! Very thankful). Later, we checked in to a very clean, nicely appointed room (warning for those visiting the Big Apple and not familiar with hotel rooms there, they are small).
The location may not be everyone's cup of tea (says Fashion District but a bit of a hike to Macy's or the main shopping areas). That said, it was quieter than staying in some of the busier areas.
I enjoyed the breakfast at this Hilton. We were offered the choice of buffet or ordering off the menu. Our waiter was very helpful (sometimes a bit too much enthusiasm that early in the morning), and our tea came promptly.
All in all, this Hilton comes recommended by a frequent traveler.

Room Tip: This hotel seems to have very basic rooms - one bed or two beds, and no junior suites or similar typ...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
debkits,
We are so thrilled you had a wonderful experience with us. We hope when your travels bring you to New York City, you decide to stay with us. Thank you so much for sharing your great stay.