“Great hotel, very modern, maybe to a fault.”

Hilton New York Fashion District
Ranked #176 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Sheffield
“Great hotel, very modern, maybe to a fault.”
Reviewed June 24, 2013

This is a great hotel, the location isn't the best but this is reflected in the price. Two subways lines, PENN station and the PATH is within walking distance. If you are coming from JFK I would suggest you get the LIRR (Long Island Rail Road) from Jamaica to Penn station and walk from there. Its a lot easier than getting the subway into Manhattan.

The room was very cosy and a bit on the small side, the bathroom was very nice and modern with a fantastic shower, but no bath. We paid a little bit more for a high floor, and then requested an Empire State view. If this is important to you, then its worth the upgrade, but if not, then the view from the rooftop bar should suffice you. There was a great bedside alarm clock with an iPod/iPhone dock, but be warned, this isn't the latest small apple connector, its the old one. If you have a newer iPhone or iPod then bring an adapter. The TV was great, mostly HD but unfortunately, it was all local channels. For a large international chain like Hilton I would have liked to see CNN International, BBC World or similar.
The wardrobe has a large free space, which I believe could fit most small to medium laptops.

There are a few downsides to this hotel. There are 4 lifts, but one is reserved for the gym and in the evenings the 4th is reserved for the rooftop bar. This means there is a lot of traffic for just two lifts and they can take a long time to come, before making many stops en route.
The lobby is not very inviting, and the staff are dressed very hip with caps and shirts. This makes the place feel more like the lobby of a nightclub and doesn't give a warm or inviting feel.
The Wi-Fi is very expensive, and these days internet access is more of a need than a luxury. If the fee was per room this would have been more agreeable, but at $14 a device it becomes a large expense. There is free Wi-Fi in the lobby, but this stopped being offered after the 5th day.
The coffee machine is great to have, but we were given very limited pods, only enough for 2 a day, it also could do with being plumbed in as every cup made requires a single cup of water pouring into it. Hanging space was very limited, and with a bit more thought in the room another wardrobe could have been provided. Also, there wasn't anywhere to store empty cases.

If you are looking for somewhere to go for breakfast there is a fantastic American diner nearby which was excellent. Really well priced, great food, great service and very popular with the locals, called Johny's Luncheonette. Look it up on here and make yourself a regular!

I’m sure there are many many worse places to stay, but for the money, I think I could have done better elsewhere. I'm happy that we stayed, but I wouldn't make a point of going back.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
HiltonNYFashion, Guest Relations Manager at Hilton New York Fashion District, responded to this review, July 1, 2013
Thank you for your response and feedback. I apologize that your stay was less than perfect and we wish we would have had the chance to correct the issues that were effecting your experience with us. We are striving to provide exceptional service on a consistent basis so thank you for this feedback. I pass on your comments to our management team to improve noise proofing insulation in the guest room. Thank you for choosing to stay at Hilton New York Fashion District during your visit to New York City and I hope for a chance to regain your confidence in us.

Guest Services Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (579)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed June 24, 2013

My mother and I just stayed at this hotel for a long weekend and we were both extremely pleased! The hotel is in a great location in close proximately to several subway lines as well as coffee shops and restaurants. Additionally, the hotel has very clean and pleasant rooms and a wonderful rooftop bar with a great view! But most of all, we were extremely impressed with the staff. Check-in was quick and easy and they were able to accommodate my request of a room with two queen beds (I had originally reserved one with just a single king bed) by the second night we were there, even moving our luggage for us while we were out sight seeing. The concierge was also very helpful in reserving us tickets for a show that same night. Would definitely go back!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Marie B
Thank you so much for your review of our hotel. I'm really glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. We always strive to put guests first and provide a warm and engaging service to all our guests. We would very much look forward to a future opportunity to welcome you back and deliver another excellent service. Thank you for staying at Hilton New York Fashion District!

Helsinki, Finland
Reviewed June 24, 2013

The lobby is quite beautiful compared to the rooms and corridors; the hotel is just quite outdated. The location is of course really nice, and will probably work for you if you don't know where in NYC to go. The rooms have an espresso machine and they are very clean, etc. They are quite noisy, though. It just doesn't feel like many other Hilton hotels...

It all depends on the price you are paying and the time you are going. If you get a good deal, this is definitely better than many still-quite-expensive hotels. I could pay something like $200 for this.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Charlotte
Reviewed June 23, 2013

Great location, clean and nice staff. What more can one ask for. Oh, I got a call from the manager tonight to make sure we were happy with our stay. That's nice! That's why I like staying at Hilton hotels when I travel.

Room Tip: Ask for room in front of building. Back rooms face any alley and another building.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed June 23, 2013

Checked in late from a west coast to nyc flight. Long story short, hotel has construction going on next door. Three feet from my room were two men with sandblasting and torches working on the walls at 7AM. For $500 a night I expect better. They offered me a $100 discount for the 7 hours I spent in the hotel attempting to sleep. No apology, no care. "We are required to book all rooms, we know it's a bad room". Shame Hilton, Shame.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
HiltonNYFashion, Guest Relations Manager at Hilton New York Fashion District, responded to this review, June 25, 2013
Dear Mr, Lefar,

I am terribly sorry to hear about your experience during recent stay with us.
Your stay has been refunded back to your account for the inconvenience.
Please do not hesitate to contact me for any further assistance!

Frankfurt, Germany
Reviewed June 21, 2013 via mobile

We have stayed there for a week. It was a great decision, as we chose this Hilton Hotel. The staff is very friendly and we are still enjoying the greatest city in the world.
Only the lack of espresso can i say as a disadvantage but around the corner is very nice aro's tea shop
Book now :)

• Stayed June 2013
1 Thank Yannis_Sht
Reviewed June 17, 2013

Booked this hotel due to location to Penn Station, quiet location in safe area. Rooms are of decent size and are very modern and clean. I had a comfortable stay while here and had initial reservations as have read about noisy elevators especially when my room was located behind them however they did not pose a problem. The entrance door for the room next door woke me in the early hours which was the only noise. No view from my room only the next door neighbors. Staff seemed invisible at times except when checking out and were extremely helpful. Good amenities in the room including iron and iron board, coffee machine. A little pricey but hey this is New York. Would stay here again if could get the right rate.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Thank you for your response. We know you have many choices when staying in New York City so we thank you for choosing Hilton New York Fashion District. I apologize that your stay was less than perfect and we wish we would have had the chance to correct the noise issue that was affecting your experience with us. We highly value and respect each and every one of our guests so we do appreciate your feedback. Please do not hesitate to contact me the next time you are planning a visit to New York City so that I may ensure the quietest room in house.