“Perfect NYC coffee house and diner”
Review of Raffles Bistro

Raffles Bistro
Ranked #261 of 682 Coffee & Tea in New York City
Cuisines: American, Italian
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Midtown
Reviewed November 5, 2012

A wonderful find with great food and service. The diner was busy, but service was terrific. The food came out hot and well presented. I enjoyed the food, but was even more suprised by the reasonable bill at the end of the meal. I went back the next day!

Reviewed November 3, 2012

After our first night in NYC we were hunting for a nearby restaurant for a hearty breakfast. We were staying at the Intercontinental Hotel Barclay (48th and Lexington) and Raffles was right on the corner. We got there about 9:00 and although the restaurant was jam packed, we were seated right away. The service was friendly and the manager visited our table a couple times and offered sight seeing tips. He was great. Breakfast was delicious and fast. I had a breakfast sandwich that hit the spot; my family had a nice cheese omelet and french toast. All of it was excellent, although a bit pricey compared to restaurants back home. I would definitely go back.

Reviewed November 1, 2012

We are New York residents who visited the place for dinner. The waiters behaviour was a warning sign I should have payed more attention to from the beginning. He was patronizing and was sure about that we were tourists from a far away underdeveloped country and treated us like such. My husband ordered a scampi dish, but as they were out of scampi ( it was the day after the storm) they agreed to make the same dish with chicken instead. I ordered chicken piccata. When the dishes arrived we knew we made a biiiig mistake. Spagetti with some unidentifiable sauce with three small stripes of chicken, was what the scampi dish for 22 dollars turned into. I got exactly the same spagetti to my piccata. The taste? A Tv dinner is 100 times better. But the worst was yet to come. When the check arrived they still wanted to charge the 22 dollars for the scampi/ chicken dish. We complained, so they changed the price to 18 dollars. Then we realized that they automatically put on an 18%(!!!) service charge. You can put service charge on the check if the party is 6 people or larger. We were 3. We always tip between 15-20% but, we do not want anyone to decide for us to do so. Especially when we are far from satified. They reducted the tip from the check in the end, but by that time we were really upset. Oh yes one more thing. They served our friends bier in a wineglas. In New York! Midtown! So my recommendation, avoid it! Waste of money! Walk down to 3:rd avenue, what is full of nice small restaurants med authentic cousine from all over the world!

Reviewed October 25, 2012

Food was excellent wiith a varied menu.........the service was a little slow but otherwise I would go back again.

Reviewed October 21, 2012

I was staying at the Waldorf during the UN General Assembly when NY is nuts, and Hillary Clinton and Barack Obama were also in the area. NYPD were thick and 49th and 50th Streets were closed. It was hard to get food in or near the Waldorf after a late meeting, so at 10 pm, I walked over to Raffles. It was like an oasis and I would have probably liked anything, but this was just right. Under similar circumstances, go for it. Nice staff and they all have a story!