“Avoid for any price”

Neighborhood: Midtown
Stockholm, Sweden
“Avoid for any price”
Reviewed November 1, 2012 via mobile

We are New York residents who visited the place for dinner. The waiters behaviour was a warning sign I should have payed more attention to from the beginning. He was patronizing and was sure about that we were tourists from a far away underdeveloped country and treated us like such. My husband ordered a scampi dish, but as they were out of scampi ( it was the day after the storm) they agreed to make the same dish with chicken instead. I ordered chicken piccata. When the dishes arrived we knew we made a biiiig mistake. Spagetti with some unidentifiable sauce with three small stripes of chicken, was what the scampi dish for 22 dollars turned into. I got exactly the same spagetti to my piccata. The taste? A Tv dinner is 100 times better. But the worst was yet to come. When the check arrived they still wanted to charge the 22 dollars for the scampi/ chicken dish. We complained, so they changed the price to 18 dollars. Then we realized that they automatically put on an 18%(!!!) service charge. You can put service charge on the check if the party is 6 people or larger. We were 3. We always tip between 15-20% but, we do not want anyone to decide for us to do so. Especially when we are far from satified. They reducted the tip from the check in the end, but by that time we were really upset. Oh yes one more thing. They served our friends bier in a wineglas. In New York! Midtown! So my recommendation, avoid it! Waste of money! Walk down to 3:rd avenue, what is full of nice small restaurants med authentic cousine from all over the world!

• Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Atlanta, Georgia
“Good food!”
Reviewed October 25, 2012

Food was excellent wiith a varied menu.........the service was a little slow but otherwise I would go back again.

Visited October 2012
Brookline, Massachusetts
“reasonable late food”
Reviewed October 21, 2012

I was staying at the Waldorf during the UN General Assembly when NY is nuts, and Hillary Clinton and Barack Obama were also in the area. NYPD were thick and 49th and 50th Streets were closed. It was hard to get food in or near the Waldorf after a late meeting, so at 10 pm, I walked over to Raffles. It was like an oasis and I would have probably liked anything, but this was just right. Under similar circumstances, go for it. Nice staff and they all have a story!

• Visited September 2012
Washington, DC
“Even the sandwich was tasteless...”
Reviewed October 15, 2012

We stopped by Raffles, which was close to our hotel, for a quick lunch. The daily lunch special -- soup and a sandwich with a soda -- was $18! Yes, $18 dollars. A bit pricey for a small bowl of "canned" chicken soup and a tuna melt with tasteless tuna and no cheese (or was that a glimpse of Velveeta I spyed on the unadorned slice of bread?). Don't bother. Far better to get something from a street cart than from Raffles' uninspired daily lunch special menu.

• Visited October 2012
Chester, New Jersey
“A one try only place for me”
Reviewed October 12, 2012

I was staying at the Lexington Hotel for business so the location was ideal and seemed to be the better choice for my colleague and I for the pre-work day breakfast. Service was good, food came fast. Food was ok, but the price caught me off-guard. Two omlettes, one coffee, one tea, and the automatically added 18% tip (deserved for our waiter) was $50.75. Also this place was a cash-only operation..... Which considering the numbers for two wasn't expected either.

Like others I appreciate this is NYC, but that was a little much for me. Dunkin Donuts was the order for day 2, and quite honestly the DD coffee and muffin was far better.

• Visited October 2012