“Great Value, Good Neighborhood” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Comfort Inn Lower East Side

Comfort Inn Lower East Side
Ranked #354 of 479 Hotels in New York City
Los Angeles
“Great Value, Good Neighborhood”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2014

Stayed here a couple of times on business. Bed is comfortable and rooms are actually VERY quiet (the insulation between the two rooms on each floor are incredible). Rooms are tiny, buy that is to be expected for the price range and location. Rooms were always clean and the front desk staff was friendly.

Only complaints would be that the wifi is VERY slow (even in the middle of the day when there was no one there) and breakfast was always the same (although there was a lot to choose from). A switch from sausage to bacon one day over the other would do wonders for a week's stay! Only other issue was their key card system seems to demagnetize every day, so I made a habit of getting a new card before going up to my room. Happened across several of my stays, so I don't think it was just the room I was in.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank AppleTech

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (179)
  • Korean first
Schenectady, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2014

The rooms are small, but who's spending a lot of time in them any way so that's no biggie. This stay we were on the 11th floor and the water pressure which was great the first time we stayed there was odd this time - really high then almost nothing. The room was clean, but they never replaced the glass I used for wine - I'm not a fan of plastic for wine. I always rinse them out with the hottest water I can get any way but still. It is a great area - lots of bars and restaurants in the area, parking nearby, subway nearby, so it depends on what you plan on doing. If you don't plan on staying in the room much, stay here. If you like to spend a little time in the room at night or during the day or whatever, this isn't the place. It's not the place if you have a lot of luggage either. The rooms really are small. They had a chair in there that I was tempted to put in the hallway as it blocked off part of the doorway into the bathroom. Yup, that small.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Carol M
Red Bank, New Jersey
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2014

We stayed here for one night since we had to work late and the price was right for the location - never again! We were put in a room on the first floor which was literally RIGHT next to the elevators and the lobby - so aside from the usual NYC noise (which doesn't really bother us as we used to live here) we constantly had to hear the elevator in use and the TV in the small lobby.

Now we've stayed in many hotels in New York and are accustomed to the smaller rooms, again it doesn't bother us because we know that's how it is in NYC and it's usually only for a night or two.. but this room took it too another level. Upon opening the door it actually almost touched the bed, which was shoved up against the opposite wall. A small dresser/desk was at the foot of the bed, leaving barely enough room to open the drawer let alone stand in front of it. The bathroom door hit the dresser when opened - there was literally barely enough room to walk around in this room - only one of us could be up at time. The bathroom was old and not very clean, no type of counter to put your things on so our bathroom items had to sit in a bag on the floor.

It was hands down the worst hotel in NYC we have ever stayed in - the room was so small we actually assumed it had probably been a storage closet of some sort at one point and was converted to a room to make extra money. And all that for over $300 a night - absolutely ridiculous!

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
2 Thank Jen M
Los Angeles, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2014

I think my wife is currently filing for divorce as I type this because I made her stay at the Comfort Inn Lower East Side at 136 Ludlow Street, New York, NY. That's how bad it was.

I usually write about the pros and the cons of every establishment separately. In the case of this hotel, it makes more sense to do it together. You'll understand why.

Pro #1: You are literally next door to many wonderful bars/nightclubs/restaurants.
Con #1: You are literally next door to many wonderful bars/nightclubs/restaurants. This means that you can hear every noise made at those wonderful bars/nightclubs/restaurants. And until 4AM, there will be a LOT of noise. Drunk people, sober people, honking car horns, trucks screeching to a stop at the stop sign. Literally it's like the windows are made of paper. So if you are an unfortunate soul stuck with a room facing Ludlow Street, plan to stay awake all night.

Pro #2: The rooms are cozy.
Con #2: The rooms are cozy. Like there is NYC small, and then Comfort Inn Lower East Side small. We literally stored our luggage on top of the coffee machine they had in the room because there was nowhere else to put it. So if you weigh more than 115 pounds, you're not going to have enough room to breathe.

Pro #3: The hotel is really cheap.
Con #3: The hotel is really cheap. And where do they cut corners? Let's start with cleanliness. It was a hotel where I felt dirty taking a shower. Yes, I know that doesn't make much sense, but ask my wife. She took multiple showers, and still left feeling like she had just bathed in disease. I sure hope you got your vaccinations!

So please, stay away from the Comfort Inn Lower East Side if you want to stay married. I've already spent 30 minutes groveling, and have already spent $1200 on Louis Vuitton bags to try to win my wife back for making her stay at this awful hotel.

Room Tip: Avoid ANY room facing Ludlow Street if you want to sleep at night.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
8 Thank JasonArroyo
Stafford, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2014

Great location. Decent rooms: clean, comfortable, compact. It can be loud. I love the location though because it is so easy to get everywhere you might want to go. I think the breakfast is good enough, nothing special.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Northfield, Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2014

My son and I stayed here on a college visit in April. We were very satisfied. The staff was universally friendly and helpful, the breakfast was very good, and the beds were comfortable.It is true that our room had some cosmetic wear and tear, some marks on the wall and carpet that was somewhat worn, but nothing that affected the function of the room. The room was also small, but I have seen smaller in major European cities (think Paris).I was a little concerned about the neighborhood because to my Midwestern eyes it looked a bit questionable.The cab driver assured me it was safe, just a "party" area. My son and I walked all over, one night quite late coming back from dinner after the theater, and had no issues. We didn't notice any noise either. If you want 5 star ambiance and attendant prices, stay elsewhere. If you want a decent place to stay at a great price for Manhattan, stay here.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Sally G
Brisbane, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2014

Very disappointed. Selected this hotel because of good reviews, but were sadly disappointed. The sheets were clean but the carpet was dirty, there was rubbish and dirty linen behind the cupboards. The room was small. We were on the 2nd floor right above a noisy bar (on weekends). The worst fault though was that we requested a crib, received an email to say that they would supply one and when we arrived they told us they did not have one... what the? So our 10 month old slept on a folded mattress (thin) under the desk, yes that's right under the desk! We had to use suitcases to keep her in. Not at all ideal, but what do you do when you arrive at 10pm and they cannot deliver a cot/crib as promised. All in all, a very cramped and unpleasant stay. Oh and while breakfast is included, you would get better nutrition at McDonalds....

Room Tip: Ask for high away from street
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank midgeyc
Also consider these accommodations in or near New York City
Manhattan
Comfort Inn Near Financial District
Comfort Inn Near Financial Distr...
#352 of 479 in New York City
4.0 of 5 stars 513 reviews
Comfort Inn
#19 of 31 in Jamaica
3.0 of 5 stars 28 reviews

Been to Comfort Inn Lower East Side? Share your experiences!